Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen and 'those pictures'

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Criminal damage, really? I suspect that the DPP would laugh this one out of his office.
    So you reckon that any random has the right to wander into a gallery and hang whatever he wants on the wall?
    I don't see why the guards would be investigating this unless they have been ordered to by a politician/government official.
    ...because, as we all know, the guards never investigate anything without direct orders from a government minister. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the criticism of Fachtna Murphy is coming from. I'm not clear what the Garda were asked to investigate, but I'm assuming it's something to do with hanging unauthorised pictures in the galleries, which could be considered criminal damage.

If there's more to it than that, I'd be interested in hearing.

No more than that at all.

Should have been told, sorry waste of resources though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Good to see the government are challenging the difficult issues!! The sad fact is the guy who did this probably has a better chance of seeing the inside of a court than all the bankers & property developers combined. RTE's apology is another sad reflection of who exactly is controlling our "state" broadcaster, they should have told them exactly where to go. Personally I'd love to see the day when Brian Cowen is hanging in the National Gallery (or even a convenient tree)....now that's something I'd pay to see!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

What tripe from FF that RTE have to apologise regarding their article on the pictures recently hung in galleries

It was news worthy surely and RTE merely reported it

I gather they didnt commission the paintings ;-)

FF shooting the messenger

I used to support FF - their reaction to RTE in this regard futher affirms my doubts about the party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What tripe from FF that RTE have to apologise regarding their article on the pictures recently hung in galleries

It was news worthy surely and RTE merely reported it

I gather they didnt commission the paintings ;-)

FF shooting the messenger

I used to support FF - their reaction to RTE in this regard futher affirms my doubts about the party

You think that is bad, the Gardai turned up at the offices of Today FM yesterday afternoon looking for e-mail and any other contact details that the radio presenter (Ray Darcy), might have with regard to the artist of the painting...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0325/breaking38.htm

If I say that the man is a f*t useless c*nt on here, can I expect a visit from the Gardai tomorrow??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

To the Gardai: "Get out and catch real criminals and stop wasting taxpayers money!!!!!!"

• Advertisement

Can you just imagine what would have happened, if someone had thrown a shoe at it :eek::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Brian cowen has children ,I don't think it's fair on them that their dad is portrayed in this way.

As much as I hate fianna fail ,i feel sorry for their families with stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Seems that RTE are appologising for showing the pictures in the report, not for running the story, so take a deep breath conspiracy theorists.

They say it was in bad taste to show the paintings, which I agree with.
    Naked biffos crapping?
    Yeah, bad taste.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Brian cowen has children ,I don't think it's fair on them that their dad is portrayed in this way.

As much as I hate fianna fail ,i feel sorry for their families with stuff like this.

Maybe he should have thought more about his kids and all the country's kids before he introduced/extended tax incentives as Finance Minister and such like.

Commentators have recently suggested that these incentives have had the effect of adding to our current owes; which future generations; including his kids; will bear the burden of.

This is getting even more personal by bringing his kids into it. My OP critised the censoring of RTE rather than commenting on the original incident

Anyway, surely it's up to Cowen and his missus to explain to his kids that his role will be subject to certain satire etc - part of parenthood i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The apology was issued by RTE as it had breached Section 30DD of the Offences against the State act.

This is getting even more personal by bringing his kids into it. My OP critised the censoring of RTE rather than commenting on the original incident

RTE didn't need to show the images though and still report on the story.
    They could have easily filmed the places ,rather than the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just listened to what amounts to a monumental idiots gasbagging in the form of Michael Kennedy TD on Pat Kenny this morning.

This public servant wants RTE's DG to resign in the midst of the biggest meltdown in modern history (aided and abetted by the subject of the paintings)

This is what passes for a public representative in this country and worse, RTE's cowering apology really tells a story.

What a joke, what a disgraceful waste of this representatives taxpayer paid expenses (probably)

enda1 wrote: »
    Seems that RTE are appologising for showing the pictures in the report, not for running the story, so take a deep breath conspiracy theorists.

They say it was in bad taste to show the paintings, which I agree with.
    Naked biffos crapping?
    Yeah, bad taste.

I don't.
    What use would the report have had without showing the caricatures?

sure they didn't need to show the match last Saturday either, just report the story ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsR09ER4Yk

They are pretty tame to be honest - storm in a teacup

Censorship, much?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any reason why you didn't use the thread already up and running about this topic?

sorry did a search for cowen etc but it didnt appear

wasnt near top of politics threads either

sure Cowen doesn't even need RTE for a bad portayal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yp3SmUrJQM&feature=related

Lets have this sort of stuff directed at all politicians in the country ,then we can really pat ourselves on the back ,when we elect a proper government.

Who cares who the paintings are of ,this makes a farce of an already woeful image ireland has abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

This is a non-story being elevated to ridiculous heights by a humourless, floundering man way out of his depth, whose past incompetencies have come back to haunt him.

If Cowen is as thin-skinned as this, its time for him to return to the backwaters of Offaly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well, he knew what he was getting into when he got into politics, he's the big man who wanted the big job. As is often the case in this country, he gets the job and then realises he isn't able to do it properly. He should have thought this through before he decided he wanted to run the country. It is obvious he isn't capable, so the criticism is well deserved in my opinion. And as for the gardai being involved, it just shows what a backward petty kip this is.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Threads merged, sorry about screwing things up in the process.

Threads merged, sorry about screwing things up in the process.

Thought for a minute there that FF had infiltrated Boards as well. Now that WOULD be serious. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The pictures are all over he net, the papers and RTE apologise for a newsworthy item in the public interest.Hmm. The State broadcaster has spoken, oh I mean buckled to the FF idiots. Cowen should have offered to buy them and then he would be seen to have a sense of humour any gain a few popularity points. Instead FF do the exact opposite,....... all too familiar FF, cannot even take a joke now, then again FF is the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH I think the young Cowans will be getting a lot more stick from classmates whose parents have lost their jobs on his watch than for a bad painting guerrilla hung in the National Gallery.

As someone already said if a big deal wasn't made of this then it would have died rapidally. I would consider it a waste of Gardai time to pursue this matter. As usual the spindoctors were frantically scrambling around in case our beloved leaders looked bad. Really a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted, rang miles away to France been slaughtered and served up with a nice red wine sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

For me, as a FF voter, this is the day that Cowen has lost it.

And for me, as a non-FF voter, likewise...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    And as for the gardai being involved, it just shows what a backward petty kip this is.

That is ridiculous alright ,I'm sure briany cowen could call on the CIA while he's at it.
    Maybe it was part of the axis of evil ,trying to gain foothold in our financial systems:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

That's usually referred to as RADIO
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So you reckon that any random has the right to wander into a gallery and hang whatever he wants on the wall?
    Er no obviously not. But as I said in my opinion there is no way a criminal damage charge would stick in a court, or would be entertained by the DPP.
    It be like students being done for dangerous driving for pushing a bed down the road during rag week.
    ...because, as we all know, the guards never investigate anything without direct orders from a government minister. :rolleyes:

Honestly, you are being naive if you think the gardai would throw resources at this (and there seems to be a lot of resources being throw at it) unless there was either a) outside pressure being put on them or b) possibly they are doing it to keep the story in the news and embarass the government further.
    The fact that pressure has been put on RTE leads me to thinks its the former, not the latter.

Advertisement