Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen and 'those pictures'

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If this doesn't turn into a grown-up conversation pretty soon, it's getting closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Cowen is a big boy now. he can take it, but by the FF reaction obviously he cannot. Tough, it comes with the job.

Er no obviously not. But as I said in my opinion there is no way a criminal damage charge would stick in a court, or would be entertained by the DPP.
    Right, so you think randoms shouldn't be allowed to hang pictures in a gallery, but you don't think anything should be done about it?
    Honestly, you are being naive if you think the gardai would throw resources at this (and there seems to be a lot of resources being throw at it) unless there was either a) outside pressure being put on them or b) possibly they are doing it to keep the story in the news and embarass the government further.
    The fact that pressure has been put on RTE leads me to thinks its the former, not the latter.
    Fine, you have a theory. Personally, I'll reserve judgement until someone comes up with some, y'know, facts about the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It was a cheap and cheery publicity stunt for the artist..fair play to him..thats all it was.

I did see the original news clip Monday night and i did think it was a bit ridic having it on the 9 a clock news. I am more concerned about RTE wasting our tax money covering what was basically a prank

It was a cheap and cheery publicity stunt for the artist..fair play to him..thats all it was.

The artist will be famous (infamous at the minute) of that I am sure. I think FF should move on now and see it for what it was, an artist on the make at BC expense.

• Advertisement

I was disappointed in RTE, it was a tabloidesque story better suited to TV3 or the Den or the Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

http://www.irishelection.com/03/the-powers-that-be-want-action-taken-on-brian-cowens-nude-pictures/

Our independent public defenders (aka gov- goons) spring into action within milliseconds to defend the honour of An Taoiseach...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

I was disappointed in RTE, it was a tabloidesque story better suited to TV3 or the Den or the Indo.

I disagree - I consider it newsworthy - sure look at the interest it's getting here

It may appear as breaking news later on tv3 though

Whether or not RTE should have run the story is a discussion for News & Media. The discussion here is about RTE's decision to pull the story under political pressure, and the involvement of the Gardaí.

How can anyone consider it newsworthy?

The state of the national economy/sport/weather etc..thats newsworthy...not some prank by (prob) some unknown artist on a Monday morning...the fact tRTE went to so much trouble to conduct a vox pop in the street and then ask an expert to value it..was just plain retarded by RTE. It was cheap and gutter feature by an organisation that should know better..sure have it on the 11 pm news as a funny side story but as one of the main stories in these times...come on...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Rte is suppose to be state owned and they joined in on the mockery by showing the pictures.

If RTE wasn't biased ,it wouldn't have shown the pictures.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Rte is suppose to be state owned and they joined in on the mockery by showing the pictures.

If RTE was biased it would not have shown the pictures. It was a public interest story on a political figure who happens to be the Taoiseach. Public interest is the priority here and RTE were not biased IMO.

How can anyone consider it newsworthy?
    Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where the criticism of Fachtna Murphy is coming from. I'm not clear what the Garda were asked to investigate, but I'm assuming it's something to do with hanging unauthorised pictures in the galleries, which could be considered criminal damage.

If there's more to it than that, I'd be interested in hearing.

I think that the offence in this particular case would be more likely to come under section 7 of the Public Order Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0007.html#zza2y1994s7

EDIT: According to the latest reports, the man apparently glued or put a nail into the wall of the Gallery. This would amount to criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

RTÉ are indeed state-owned but not wholly government funded, last time I checked 'freedom of speech' was still respected (at some level) in this state.

Therefore my license fee also pays towards RTÉ & I personally think they were wrong to apologise under pressure for something which was a flippant but newsworthy item as featured at the end of the news.

They previous FF government put pressure on RTÉ to pull Bull Island & similar political satire from the broadcast schedule in the run up to elections, which RTÉ then bowed under...therefore FF obviously think (or realise) that Irish people do not have the capability of independent judgement or thought.

I am increasingly disenfranchised with the succession of FF crooks passing through the realms of power as Irish people sit back and moan in relation to the failing of the alternatives...how will we know until we try?!

De Hipster wrote: »
    I am increasingly disenfranchised with the succession of FF crooks passing through the realms of power as Irish people sit back and moan in relation to the failing of the alternatives...how will we know until we try?!

I can't wait for a new government and hopefully we will have something good to talk about.

My only gripe with whats happened is purely on cowens family having to deal with it.

I can't wait for a new government and hopefully we will have something good to talk about.

My only gripe with whats happened is purely on cowens family having to deal with it.

But that's one of the elements of this whole discussion that I just do not understand...
    • I'm treated like an idiot (Irish citizen) who cannot make decisions, opinions nor interpretations for myself
    • They TAKE percentages of my hard-earned salary to piddle away just like the fruits of the labour of a golden era gone
    • They point blank refuse to explain their failings as a collective or as individuals
    • They continue to protect their buddies, provide 'jobs for the boys' and generally convey an attitude of 'we're not corrupt, this is just doing the business, how dare you question...now go to jail for minute infringements like tv license evasion you heathen'
    • Cowen gets slagged/satired by (personal opinion) works of art of relatively good likeness & comic portrayal of the emperor & his only remaining dignity & people object?!

We really have bigger fish to fry in relation to this government & the current economic failings.

De Hipster wrote: »
    We really have bigger fish to fry in relation to this government & the current economic failings.

Until the global economy starts to show some improvement ,we have no hope of ejecting fianna fail.

No matter what we do at the moment ,no ones opinions are going to change anything. I can't see how something like this helps things at all ,politically or any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Must be used to it by now, what is after all a daily occurance ( except around Paddy's day, Ard Fheiseanna etc) at home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I assume ye're aware of this??? Gardai visiting Today FM looking for emails from the artist!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0325/breaking38.htm

• Advertisement

Until the global economy starts to show some improvement ,we have no hope of ejecting fianna fail.

No matter what we do at the moment ,no ones opinions are going to change anything. I can't see how something like this helps things at all ,politically or any other way.

Perhaps FF may realise that the opinion of their employers (i.e. me & the rest of the Irish tax affiliated) is that they no longer deserve to be employed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So you reckon that any random has the right to wander into a gallery and hang whatever he wants on the wall? ...because, as we all know, the guards never investigate anything without direct orders from a government minister. :rolleyes:

I don't think its right, but I also don't think it's criminal. The charges listed are incitement (to what exactly) indecency (Nude art in an art gallery) and criminal damage (a nail in a wall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

so google, Press Association and BBC are allowed report on this - but RTE can't

Why? political pressure?

I thought we lived in a democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

If the artist is being charged with criminal damage for banging a nail into a wall (GREAT use of Garda resources BTW :rolleyes:), can Cowen at least be as well for what he's done to the country? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ce

Barname wrote: »
    a permit is not required, anyhow it is a public gallery that receives taxpayers funding, much like the education that the taxpayer paid for you and yet you cannot spell

hence NOT hense

The cost of a Garda investigation is not defendable for such a trivial matter.

Well done on correcting a spelling mistake. Unfortunately your great triumph was marred by bad grammar; "not defendable" you say?!

I believe the word you were looking for is, "indefensible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK.... I'll say this once... take the spelling nazi attitude elsewhere. For a first post, it isn't a good way to ensure you get a chance at a second.

On topic, adult conversation or we get a locked thread and some infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

It is state owned. It is not owned by Fianna Fail. It is not owned by Brian Cowen.

It has a responsibility to report the news. It owes the person of Brian Cowen nothing. It owes it's viewers and licence payers a whole hell of a lot.

It was a public interest story. The Gardai are involved and a file has gone to the DPP.

We have a right to know what the hell is going on in the country.

Most people couldn't give a flying fnck if Cowen is "embarressed". He's a big boy in a tough world, he should grow a thicker skin. (Ironically)

as the RTE catchphrase goes - fuel your imagination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How is the showing of these pictures any more embarrassing to Brian Cowen or the office of the Taoiseach than the footage of him drunkenly singing rebel songs in his local which was broadcast shortly after he entered the office?

Advertisement