Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen and 'those pictures'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

so google, Press Association and BBC are allowed report on this - but RTE can't

Why? political pressure?

I thought we lived in a democracy

Reminds me of the German Democratic Republic.

There was an area around Dresden where due to the geography it was impossible to receive West German television.

They called this area "Das Tal der Ahnungslosen" or "the valley of the clueless"

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

dresden8 wrote: »
    It is state owned. It is not owned by Fianna Fail. It is not owned by Brian Cowen.

It has a responsibility to report the news. It owes the person of Brian Cowen nothing. It owes it's viewers and licence payers a whole hell of a lot.

It was a public interest story. The Gardai are involved and a file has gone to the DPP.

We have a right to know what the hell is going on in the country.

Most people couldn't give a flying fnck if Cowen is "embarressed". He's a big boy in a tough world, he should grow a thicker skin. (Ironically)

I've never said rte shouldn't have reported the story ,so don't reply making out that I did.

If people continue to huff and puff about fianna fail ,when the time comes to vote them out ,they'll be all huffed and puffed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I've never said rte shouldn't have reported the story ,so don't reply making out that I did.

If people continue to huff and puff about fianna fail ,when the time comes to vote them out ,they'll be all huffed and puffed out.

What were you saying so? Especially with your accusation of bias.

What were you saying so? Especially with your accusation of bias.

The photos themselves is what I was referring to.

How is showing the items in question that all the fuss is about, bias?

It's the freaking news.

These paintings moved the whole apparatus of the state against the national broadcaster and the urban terrorist who perpetrated this heinous crime against the state.

The whole thing is a joke.

• Advertisement

I laughed at the pictures when I seen them on television ,but I also was suprised to see RTE showing them.

It was something I'd expect to see in a less reputable newspaper ,more because of how vulgar the pictures were and not because I didn't like them.

The whole thing is a joke.

The really sad thing is that it isn't :D

I laughed at the pictures when I seen them on television ,but I also was suprised to see RTE showing them.

It was something I'd expect to see in a less reputable newspaper ,more because of how vulgar the pictures were and not because I didn't like them.

Every news company who reported the story thought it was appropriate to show the pictures.

I doubt FF demanded an apology off each of them. They'd be told to F the FF off.

FF still have the impression they own the country and we should, as Martin Mansergh has put it, "respect our betters"

Well excuse the fnck me, this is a republic and a democracy, I have no "betters"

Especially FF idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Every news company who reported the story thought it was appropriate to show the pictures.

I doubt FF demanded an apology off each of them. They'd be told to F the FF off.

FF still have the impression they own the country and we should, as Martin Mansergh has put it, "respect our betters"

Well excuse the fnck me, this is a republic and a democracy, I have no "betters"

Especially FF idiots.

FF should be sorting the economy instead of getting all hot and bothered over a few paintings of page 3 Biff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dattley

BBC wrote:
    Will Hanafin, the show's producer, said the detective told him the investigation was looking at three potential offences of indecency, incitement to hatred and criminal damage,..

Can even the die hard 'FF can do no wrong' people honestly think:

a) These pictures qualify as indecent?
    b) These pictures incite hatred?
    c) That a nail-hole in a wall should necessitate obtaining a search warrant to the offices of a licensed radio broadcaster, as well as the garda time and resources required to file the issue with the DPP with regard to further prosecutions?

Now i'm not saying it should be permissible to go around punching small holes in walls. But if these were pictures of, say, an oak tree, do you really believe there would've been any action taken other than the removal of the pictures? If so, I think you might want to question wether your support of FF is on merit, or blind fanaticism?

• Advertisement

Have any boardsies been burgled and received this level of attention from the Gardai and received such a swift and successful conclusion of an affront to their privacy, property rights and dignity?

Would love to hear.

And if we're so affronted by Cowen's moobs, is that not more to do with Cowen than the still anonymous artist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Vincent Browne will be talking about this in about 5 minutes. so he says anyway. He is just going through his proposed income tax changes at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This could be a boost for Cowan. The wimmins of Ireland might be inflamed by the saucy pictures of the leader, and vote him in again. :)

Let's get it on
    Ah, baby, let's get it on
    Let's love, baby
    Let's get it on, sugar
    Let's get it on

• Registered Users Posts: 33 granville

Just missed a documentary on RTE called Bloody Cartoon about the Danish newspaper's Mohammed cartoon hoop-la.
    Anyone see it?
    Was it a recent addition to the schedule?! (Might belong in Conspiracy Theories)

More bloody cartoons here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Seems its getting more popular on YouTube, up past 8,000 hits already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

My girlfriend just sent me a picture message of an Andy-Warhol style poster with the picture in question repeated 4 times in different colours stuck to a traffic light control box in Dublin
    It begins.

Will google have to apologize as well?

75721.JPG

This really is taking on a life of its own :D

peasant wrote: »
    Will google have to apologize as well?

It's time FF took those suckers down!

Just thought, does this mean boards.ie will have to apologize to FF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"Biff in the Buff" :D

If only those dodgy bankers had put up portraits in galleries! FF might have actually read the reports and gotten the Gardai on the case in time to deal with them!

But no - apparently immediate action is only appropriate if it's FF's image that's at stake.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Also, TV3 on Midday have just shown the one on the bog.
    Ballymount probably being raided as I type...ya couldn't make it up. What a banana republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaueykfgbcw/
    The Ceann Comhairle has prevented Opposition parties in the Dáil from raising questions this morning about the RTÉ decision to apologise to the Taoiseach over a news report on Tuesday night.

The state broadcaster issued the apology following a report about the satirical nude portraits of Brian Cowen that were hung on the walls of two Dublin galleries without permission.

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny described the apology as "grovelling", while Labour Party TD Liz McManus accused the broadcaster of bowing to political pressure.

However, attempts to raise the matter were ruled out of order by the Ceann Comhairle, former Fianna Fáil minister John O'Donoghue.

How is a Fianna Fail TD allowed to be Ceann Comhairle and allowed to protect the government in this manner??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The evidence to me says that RTE are under pressure from Cowen, and his press secretary admitted making calls to RTE (according to yesterday's Irish Times). There's also the fact that they pulled Nob Nation for a nebulous reason of being too "hard" on Cowen.

What worries me more is that fact that Cowen appears to be using the civil policing authorities to protect his own end, unless of course the investigation is solely on the basis of criminal damage of nailing an unspecified object to the internal wall of the national gallery

They were definitely wrong to apologize. It sends out the message that they're under Cowen's fist, and that furthermore can we believe anything they say?

pleba wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaueykfgbcw/

How is a Fianna Fail TD allowed to be Ceann Comhairle and allowed to protect the government in this manner??

This whole affair has now crossed the border from ridiculous to surreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

It is not established that the artist drove a nail into the wall of the National Gallery.
    In one news report it has been stated that he used glue to put the painting on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK, stop posting the photoshop images. This is politics, not AH.

Posting any more photoshopped images will result in a straight ban.

...also, I can kill you with my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Ceann Comhairle has largely been a ruling party appointee in this state and acts accordingly, and O'Donoghue is very definitely FF to his marrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

The picture is an artists reflection of what he sees in Cowen which is fair enough and I'm sure a lot of people have the same vision. A big deal made out of nothing, would'nt it nice if that's all the Government, RTE, Garda etc had to worry about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

From RTE's site:

"He also handed over five similar paintings of other senior politicians."

WTF? Stuff like this gets made all the time, why should there be an exception for Cowen and his buddies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

From RTE's site:

"He also handed over five similar paintings of other senior politicians."

WTF? Stuff like this gets made all the time, why should there be an exception for Cowen and his buddies?

It's really fook'n sad ain't it?

I just hope the same artist does a proper display/exhibition, it will be a sell out hopefully.

Advertisement