Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Cowen and 'those pictures'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

it will be a sell out hopefully.

Sounds like he's got something in common with FF already....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Sounds like he's got something in common with FF already....

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Ste.phen wrote: »
    My girlfriend just sent me a picture message of an Andy-Warhol style poster with the picture in question repeated 4 times in different colours stuck to a traffic light control box in Dublin
    It begins.

And presented here for your enjoyment, thanks to jesjes

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

The poor man can't take a joke. In these tough times we need a laugh & he's such an easy target why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Saw the picture in the tribune on Sunday, didn't find it particularly funny; think it barely qualifies as satire because it isn't making any particular point. Anyway, had forgotten about the thing by the time i was two lines into the next story.
    And now this. Fianna Fail, in its infinite wisdom, has managed to turn a bit of toilet humour into an international incident.
    The most important aspect of this is the actions of RTE. If Brian Cowen, or whomever in Fianna Fail takes offense on his behalf, had a complaint to make to RTE about the news story they had every right to do so. They should have done so through the proper channels and RTE, if found to be in the wrong, would then have to make their apology.
    The fact that RTE caved and apologised immeadiately, simply for covering a news story, is worrying to say the least. Really makes you wonder just how much sway the sitting government has over what should be an editorially independent organisation, responsible only to the taxpayer.
    Perhaps Fianna Fail knew that their and RTE's actions would cause a ****storm and draw a lot more attention to these pictures. Perhaps, at a time when their popularity is at its lowest ever ebb, they feel drumming up a bit of sympathy for poor Brian and his family will help them out with the 'plain people of Ireland'. Don't think it's going to work for them this time, however.
    If it does then you would have to wonder if this country will ever grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

RTE is a state owned broadcaster - its budget is decided by Fianna Fail, do you really, really think they can afford to cross Fianna Fail? Especially in an era when massive expenditure cuts are being sought?

Sure there might be one or two independant minded people here and there in the organisation, but if Fianna Fail are ever angered RTE will bend over backwards to appease them. The whole argument for RTE as an independant broadcaster is sadly ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw on the BBC the following , which apparently was also carried by RTE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7960997.stm

Then last night RTE apologised for carrying the story !!

WTF, have I just woken up in China/North Korea or something. Is it now wrong for the national broadcaster to carry a news story ?

This is a news story , the pictures ' appeared ' in the gallery , and that is news . The fact that Brian Cowen was the subject of those pictures made them even more newsworthy.

Perhaps if Brian Cowen's office spent more time trying to run the country rather than protect his feelings ( poor love ) then we might be getting somewhere !

What do other people think ?

welcome to the reality you are living in a police state, one word against the government is enough to have the gestapo (special branch) bugging your car and sying on you.

the free state has a long history of censorship and dictatorship style governance. anyone remember the government imposed ban on Republicans appearing on RTE in case the garnered support it only ended about 15 years ago if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Brian cowen has children ,I don't think it's fair on them that their dad is portrayed in this way.

As much as I hate fianna fail ,i feel sorry for their families with stuff like this.

are you american or british whats this dad business...?

haha, i dont think its far there Da gets over 330,000 euro per year for working less than 153 days per year, but what can you do...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

TomRooney wrote: »
    are you american or british whats this dad business...?

haha, i dont think its far there Da gets over 330,000 euro per year for working less than 153 days per year, but what can you do...?

haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GaryStew1980

From RTE's site:

"He also handed over five similar paintings of other senior politicians."

WTF? Stuff like this gets made all the time, why should there be an exception for Cowen and his buddies?

Look the only reason they even went after this artist is that eveything is so rosey in the country, I mean our banks are flying, share prices shooting through the roof the property bubble we all expected to burst just keeps on going, Public and Private services are flying even the gangsters in the country have stopped shooting each other.

Oh no wait...

One worrying this is the over reaction to these paintings, but to be honest this is a minor issue. What I can not believe is that our good auld Biffopotamus and his cronies actually took time to deal with this in anyway what so ever. Is it just me or is there not some more important things to be worrying at the moment? Shouldn't Cowans spin doctor maybe worry about the image of our so called leader in regards to his leadership of the country in a time of crisis. No apparently a comical painting is more important.

What makes this even more of an impressive own goal by the "Leaders" of our country is that this story would have blown over if they hadn't demanded apologies and sought to go after this guy legally not only that but two of the charges can actually result in prison time. I have to admit I didnt even see the pictures in the Sunday papers, nor did I even see the report on RTE this only became a story when RTE were made apologise and Today FM had the Gardai show up on their door step. Would the Govt have been so quick to send the Gardai around if Today FM was getting broken into or if Ray D'Arcy was receiving a death threat live on air? Even then the story may have died then the charges aimed at the artist only increased the size of this story again. I think it is important this artist is protected at this stage I heard he was a Teacher at Bolton Street, will he be keeping his job after this or will more pressure be but on the college to force him out.

This country has actually become and even bigger laughing stock over this issue. Many times have portraits been created of world leaders that are less than shall we say complimentary to the leader in question some even had Obama as a terrorist did the FBI break down doors to get to the bottom of the issue no they didnt because it was a nothing story. Yet again we are let down by morons.

I best take any personal details off of this site now as I said boo to the govt they are probably on their way to pick me up now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

All I can say is that I am grateful that our glorious leader, may Allah bestow on him a thousand blessings, has made an enlightened decision and decided to suppress this seditious artist. Death to free speech! Death to Democracy!

Ahem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Carlow52 wrote: »
    The apology was issued by RTE as it had breached Section 30DD of the Offences against the State act.

Whats 30DD? Cowens bra size?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Grown-up conversation, please. The "humour" forum is elsewhere on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sand wrote: »
    RTE is a state owned broadcaster - its budget is decided by Fianna Fail, do you really, really think they can afford to cross Fianna Fail? Especially in an era when massive expenditure cuts are being sought?

Sure there might be one or two independant minded people here and there in the organisation, but if Fianna Fail are ever angered RTE will bend over backwards to appease them. The whole argument for RTE as an independant broadcaster is sadly ironic.

RTE paid for by TV licence payers and advertizing. It became the lapdog for FF when it apologized and as far as I know an apology was not even asked for. It can no longer be considered as an independent broadcaster IMO. It is cringeworthy. It does not bode well for future reporting of any FF related stories? It has a duty to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Grown-up conversation, please. The "humour" forum is elsewhere on the site.

Oh piss off you humourless knobcake

0ubliette wrote: »
    Oh piss off you humourless knobcake
    When you come back in a week's time, read the charter before posting again.

He had a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Brian cowen has children ,I don't think it's fair on them that their dad is portrayed in this way.

As much as I hate fianna fail ,i feel sorry for their families with stuff like this.

hes a politican, he put his head up over the parapet , he put his family in the spotlight

deal with it

Denerick wrote: »
    He had a point.
    If you are referring to Oubliette, I strongly recommend reading the charter before posting again. If not, who had a point?

The problem with this artwork is that it draws the attention of all sorts of people.
    People who have no interest in politics and no interest in what ireland needs to do ,to get out of this mess.

I posted in this thread ,because I thought rte was wrong to show the pictures .I never said that I thought the pictures shouldn't exist or be reported.
    There is a major difference in showing images on prime time television and showing them in a newspaper.
    Families sit down to the same news on television ,not the same as a newspaper.

Anyone that has read my previous posts in this forum ,knows I can't stand fianna fail and knows that I want a new government.
    It's pretty boring reading the ongoing rants and comments about my views ,ranting doesn't get anyone anywhere.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you are referring to Oubliette, I strongly recommend reading the charter before posting again. If not, who had a point?

Why I don't know what the devil you are referring to. I was surely responding to some other incident or spectacle on this thread.

Denerick wrote: »
    Why I don't know what the devil you are referring to. I was surely responding to some other incident or spectacle on this thread.
    You get a week to read the charter at leisure also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dattley

The initial act of indecency, incitement to hatred, and criminal damage you've taken such umbrage to was commited in jest. It would appear we're not allowed to treat it in this light though? No doubt due to the enormous monumental gravity of the situation? After all, we can't just be permitted to go around hammering nails into everybody's walls now can we?

A week for myself I presume? Why not call it Fianna Fail week and use it to spread the good word. Remember to keep a straight face now! Its an extremely serious subject after all, a picture of our glorious leader with titties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I posted in this thread ,because I thought rte was wrong to show the pictures .I never said that I thought the pictures shouldn't exist or be reported.
    There is a major difference in showing images on prime time television and showing them in a newspaper.
    Families sit down to the same news on television ,not the same as a newspaper.

When you say reported you mean verbally or written I presume? So effectively a sort of selective censorship? Have any of the newspapers apologised for printing the images? No, as none is necessary. Roll back the years to an Ireland gone by (thankfully). We see cartoon images of politicians daily in the newpapers and not a word is said. We all had a good laugh at the pictures and I am sure BC did as well, it helps to lighten the mood in the country.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    When you say reported you mean verbally or written I presume? So effectively a sort of selective censorship? Have any of the newspapers apologised for printing the images? No, as none is necessary. Roll back the years to an Ireland gone by (thankfully). We see cartoon images of politicians daily in the newpapers and not a word is said. We all had a good laugh at the pictures and I am sure BC did as well, it helps to lighten the mood in the country.

no doubt ,I had a good oul chuckle at them myself.
    I didn't think they were fit for kiddie viewing though ,I thought they were rather grose in that sense.

dattley wrote: »
    The initial act of indecency, incitement to hatred, and criminal damage you've taken such umbrage to was commited in jest. It would appear we're not allowed to treat it in this light though? No doubt due to the enormous monumental gravity of the situation? After all, we can't just be permitted to go around hammering nails into everybody's walls now can we?

A week for myself I presume? Why not call it Fianna Fail week and use it to spread the good word. Remember to keep a straight face now! Its an extremely serious subject after all, a picture of our glorious leader with titties.
    Last time I checked, the charter was written in plain English.

The next person to gripe about moderation on this thread is getting a six month ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dattley

no doubt ,I had a good oul chuckle at them myself.
    I didn't think they were fit for kiddie viewing though ,I thought they were rather grose in that sense.

Would you say that other artistic works depicting partial nudity would also not be fit for "kiddie viewing", or is this just the case when the subject matter is relatively unattractive?

dattley wrote: »
    Would you say that other artistic works depicting partial nudity would also not be fit for "kiddie viewing", or is this just the case when the subject matter is relatively unattractive?

It was funny because of it's ugliness ,but the humour wasn't something I'd expect of rte news.
    Thats it plain and simple ,I'm sure if rodge and podge showed them ,we would be asking "What pictures ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Type "Brian Cowen nude painting" into google and you will see this is now a worldwide story. If Cowen had taken it in good humour the story would have died there and then. FFs heavy handed and poe-face reaction to it simply sent it global.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

John Waters has written a very articulate piece in the Irish Times today. I was going to write something of similar opinion, but he has expressed it extremely well.
    OPINION: CONOR CASBY, the artist claiming responsibility for the notorious nude paintings of the Taoiseach hung for a “joke” in the National Gallery and RHA, has said that he wants to let the paintings “speak for themselves”, writes JOHN WATERS

He did not intimate what he thinks they might be saying. That the artist has an infantile obsession with toilet humour? That he nurtures some deep animus towards politicians?

That he cannot draw?

The only amusing thing here is Casby’s deluded belief that he has something to say. His response is typical of a public discourse almost fatally degraded by internet auto-eroticism and an obsession with what is called “comedy”. His works are crude, unfunny, vindictive, without intrinsic content and wholly lacking in artistic merit.

They would never have been heard of had the national broadcaster not misplaced its editorial instincts and, faced with an alternative between soberly reporting a minor crime and engaging in a snide attack on the Taoiseach, chose the latter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0327/1224243541278.html

This so-called ‘artist’ is nothing more than a cheap hustler, imposing his vulgar fixations on the public, at the expense of another human being and his family. No self-respecting artist would sink to this level. This pathetic attempt to gain attention for his trashy, amateur paintings should have been treated with the contempt it deserved. The galleries should have just thrown them in the bin where they belong. No points for guessing who would have contacted RTE, and of course they fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Advertisement