Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First post and hf/shortwave questions

Options
  • 25-03-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

This is my first post so hello to everyone one the forum. I have recently bought a Yupiteru MVT7100 and a Garex longwire antenna with a view to playing around with the hf/shortwave freqs. I am completley new to the shortwave area of radio so my questions are what freq steps do i need to search in, and what does upper side band and lower side band mean?. Thanks in advance for any info, best regards, neil-c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

neil-c wrote: »
    what does upper side band and lower side band mean?

They are types of modulation just like FM or AM, you can find out more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation#Analog_modulation_methods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 neil-c

thanks for the info, I will have a good read through that. In case u didnt get my pm about frequencydb, they are in the process of changing their web hosting, but should be back on by the weekend. best regards.. neil-c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Welcome to Boards.ie neil-c!
    LSB(Lower Sideband) & USB (both SSB or Single Side Band) are used by person to person communication on Shortwave (HF). Broadcast uses AM for Analogue and DRM (Digital RAdio Mondial) for Digital.

All commercial, Marine & Aeronautical traffic on HF uses USB version of SSB.

FOr historical reasons Amateur (Ham, wireless experimenters) mostly uses LSB for 160m (1.8MHZ band), 80m (3.6MHz Band) and 40m (7.1MHz Band). All other bands that allow SSB, the USB is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 neil-c

Many thanks for the information Watty, I mostly listen to airband so shortwave is a bit new to me. Looking forward to what I can pick up on these bands on the Yupi now. best regards.. neil-c

Advertisement