Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CCTV around city?

• 25-03-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone know what's the story with all these new poles (with what seem to be wireless cameras) going up all over the city. I've seen them on the roundabout on the cork rd, o'connell street, upper yellow rd. and others. Is this the cops surveying the general public? Is that even legal , against civic-rights or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

ah rite, thanks for that, didn't realise they were there for so long (posts from last Aug!!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Their up since Mid summer 2008 with planning up since about April 2008, they are within the law and from what I understand are there to watch traffic and anything that may be considered a public order offense...thats why there are two around Rubys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I dont want ireland to go the way of Stasi London, but having said that, reading/hearing the reports of all the assults happening, it would be a welcome thing to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No harm IMO,

Enough scumbags floating around the place to warrant it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I believe they are not active cameras, as in lively watched. They are recording and can be used as evidence for a crime. So I was told anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think as soon as cameras are put out there, we can assume that they are on recording all the time, and that the footage will eventually end up in the hands of the Americans and the next Saddam. I have no faith in authorities to manage surveillance and data collection responsibly. In the UK, there's a scandal every second week about it.

Having said that, as long as it stays in busy city centres, it might be justified if it cuts down on crime. Maybe. I heard somewhere that only a small percentage of crimes caught on camera are actually used as evidence because of the quality of the footage or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

whats the next saddam going to do with videos of drunk people eating kebabs and getting sick outside rubys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

longshanks wrote: »
    whats the next saddam going to do with videos
    of drunk people eating kebabs and getting sick outside rubys?[/quote

open a kebab shop and a late nighter if he sees its good business lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

Sully wrote: »
    I believe they are not active cameras, as in lively watched. They are recording and can be used as evidence for a crime. So I was told anyway

Inside info says different lol. Apparently the plan is to eventually have someone watching them all the time but at the moment they're not been giving money to do so and so far the system has not been set up in the station yet so you have all these cameras after been put up for nothing-wat a waste of money!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cabaal wrote: »
    Their up since Mid summer 2008 with planning up since about April 2008, they are within the law and from what I understand are there to watch traffic and anything that may be considered a public order offense...thats why there are two around Rubys :)

That too was my understanding, but having since spoken to somebody within the traffic management dept in City Council, he informed me that they will have no access to these cameras. I thought this was a bit stupid at the cameras are situated at nearly every junction that has traffic lights in the city centre.

The cameras will be monitored from the Garda station in Ballybricken.

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Inside info says different lol. Apparently the plan is to eventually have someone watching them all the time but at the moment they're not been giving money to do so and so far the system has not been set up in the station yet so you have all these cameras after been put up for nothing-wat a waste of money!!!:mad:

Doesn't matter what the plans are, plans can change. Again, assume they are recording all the time and the footage is being sent to your worst enemy, and posted on the internet. Once the technology is there, that's it. You have governments, councils and cops taking liberties and a nice big dose of incompetence, and the data gets out. Some kid will have it hacked and you'll have fights on youtube -- mark my words!

They are not exactly filming us having sex though are they? I mean even if your right Merlante and the Footage does get leaked its not going to change any of our lives if big brother sees me eating a cold Kebab outside Istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Oh no, someone might see me in a public street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Every time these debates come up theres always one argument that sums it up pretty well for the state

If you're not doing anything outside the lwa why does it bother you?

I feel much happier knowing that if a crime is committed against me or another person such as theft or assault the Gards can easily track the scumbag from a safe distance without the scum knowing it till the Gards on foot arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ziedth wrote: »
    They are not exactly filming us having sex though are they?

Depends where you partake I guess.

mike65 wrote: »
    Depends where you partake I guess.

To true,

I'll have to be more carefull with Mrs. Ziedth.

RMD wrote: »
    Every time these debates come up theres always one argument that sums it up pretty well for the state

If you're not doing anything outside the lwa why does it bother you?

I feel much happier knowing that if a crime is committed against me or another person such as theft or assault the Gards can easily track the scumbag from a safe distance without the scum knowing it till the Gards on foot arrive.

Well, I mean, I presume you wouldn't extend this attitude to allowing people to film inside your house, or to filming your kids every day on the way to school (pretending for a moment that kids still walk to school)? It's a slippery slope, when you give an agency the right to record one thing, they end up recording a lot more.

The fact is that between CCTV footage, credit/cash card transactions, club card transactions, phone bills, etc., you could nearly reconstruct people's entire lives. A lot of this information ends up getting lost, stolen or sold, and can find its way into the hands of marketers and criminals.

Also, from a political theory point of view, it's not good for the government to gain too much power over the people. If we had to fight a war of independence now, how successful would it be? If oppressive regimes can put down resistance by tracking everyone using technology, that's not a good thing. You might more or less trust the Irish government with this data, which will eventually be accumulated in one place and analysed, but I don't.

The argument, "If you're not doing anything outside the law why does it bother you?" always intrigued me because it shows no sense on behalf of the person making the statement that they care about maintaining their own privacy or anonymity in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

ziedth wrote: »
    To true,

I'll have to be more carefull with Mrs. Ziedth.

you're a man?

or a married lesbian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Calm down lads this doesn't mean the man in the high castle is spying on you for christ's sake. They're a deterrent for crime and assaults and the like, something which is sorely ****ing needed nowadays.
    Couldn't give a rats arse about some 'conspiracy' to steal our lives. If someone I cared about is jumped by some little thug and such video evidence secured a conviction for the little **** then I am delighted these cameras are going up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The evidence from these cameras is often crucial in securing convictions for public order offences and more serious crimes, and IMHO their deployment is sorely overdue, if only to catch and punish the disgusting slobs who drop litter and let their dogs sh1t everywhere.

Whilst I can understand the arguments for civil liberty and privacy the evidence has shown, sadly, that a sizable and growing minority of people can't be trusted to behave legally or with any consideration towards others. The fact that public areas have to be monitored 24x7 is a direct result of this and is a sad reflection on society.

I don't believe there is any intention, or frankly the competence, for the government to put all of this into some sort of uber-database to track individuals. That's just paranoia.

SSE

longshanks wrote: »
    you're a man?

or a married lesbian

Well given the Choice :)

Back OT: I agree with Asmodean if CCTV puts a stop or slows down street crime then I'm all for it. I think we are a long way away from Cameras in our homes ETC.

The evidence from these cameras is often crucial in securing convictions for public order offences and more serious crimes, and IMHO their deployment is sorely overdue, if only to catch and punish the disgusting slobs who drop litter and let their dogs sh1t everywhere.

a) Do they actually work?
    Some sources say they don't:
    CCTV boom has not cut crime, says police chief
    Times Online

b) Do you honestly think that the cops will police dog ****?

They cost a lot of money and it's arguable whether they even justify a fraction of it.
    Whilst I can understand the arguments for civil liberty and privacy the evidence has shown, sadly, that a sizable and growing minority of people can't be trusted to behave legally or with any consideration towards others. The fact that public areas have to be monitored 24x7 is a direct result of this and is a sad reflection on society.

Irelands murder rate is one of the lowest in Europe and is currently declining iirc.
    I don't believe there is any intention, or frankly the competence, for the government to put all of this into some sort of uber-database to track individuals. That's just paranoia.

The thing about data is it's not just what can be done with it today but what can be done with it in the future as well. Anybody who has made any stupid comments under their real name, or a username that is traceable to their real name, on the internet will find out all about it in years to come if they run for office or apply for a senior job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Well if you read that article it's all about making better use of the images captured in an investigation and in court, not that CCTV itself has failed per se. If effective use is made of the technology, used as evidence to secure convictions, then it can justify its cost.

No I didn't think they were dogsh1t cameras, that was tongue-in-cheek.

Ireland's murder rate may be declining, but murder isn't the type of crime that CCTV is aimed at. No-one can argue that lower-level crime, such as antisocial behaviour, mugging, theft from cars, graffiti, etc. is going down.

I don't welcome their deployment any more than you, but I'm realistic about the need for them.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I wonder does even the sight of them act as a deterrant. I'd like to think they do but most of the yobs probably wouldn't even care.

Advertisement