Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 months on...

Options
  • 25-03-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just thought I'd give a quick update on where I'm at since I gave up mid-september 2008.

Well, first things first...to recap, I decided to give up on returning from a weekend in scotland in which I smoked something like 40 fags a day. This was not unusual for me to do on holiday (usually smoke 15 or so on a normal day at home)...SO, when I got back, I decided that I was sick of it. No particular reason for giving up (no worries financially or healthwise), I just gve up. just like that.

The withdrawal didnt kick in for a few days, but even when it did, it was manageable. I convinced myself not to be envious of people smoking, but to pity them. This helped me massively. A favourite chat up line for me when I was out was "you should really give that sh1t up...im off the x weeks now!" And the women were impressed. Not just by my strong willpower, but my fresh breath and white teeth(!).

Everyday things got easier. The first day going back to college was a nightmare. I had to walk to the bus stop, get off the bus, walk to lectures, have lunch etc without smoking. something I had never done before.
    After a few days, I got used to not smoking while doing normal things...and now I cant imagine smoking at a bus stop.

Anyway, there were times I gave in. when I was invited to a party, I'd find out if x was going, because i knew x smoked. And JUST IN CASE the cravings got the beter of me, I could scab one off x. It was an insecurity that made life uncomfortable for a while...but I very rarely scabbed them.
    But one night I had a cigarette abt three months after giving up, and I almost vomited. I took it as good news and that was that.

I didnt so much as think about fags for weeks after and by this stage cravings had practically stopped. However, I smoked again when I was out some night, but this one was delicious...from then on I took two or three (only when drinking) and hated myself for it.

This has continued up to last night. I don't get cravings at all. I feel I've overcome the addiction. However, with alcohol, I fool myself.

So, I'm making an effort now to NEVER take another puff. This is a warning for those giving up- the battle is never over. I feel stupid when people congratulate me on quitting, knowing that I only half-quit.
    Dont really know why I wrote this, but this is just my perspective looking back on six months of cold turkey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A favourite chat up line for me when I was out was "you should really give that sh1t up...im off the x weeks now!" And the women were impressed. Not just by my strong willpower, but my fresh breath and white teeth(!).

I dunno lad, smokers usually hate that consdescending stuff. Still fair play. I came on here to have a nose. I'm in the same boat as youvwere then, in the past three days I've become sick to the back f*cking teeth of fags. Everyone I smoke just annoys the sh*t out of me, and forking out the money for them makes me feel even worse. I'm 21, and have been smoking ten a day since I was 11 years old.

I'm seriously considering stopping for good, but I was wondering that suddenly quitting on the hop wasn't the way to go about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hey Froosh, don't beat yourself up over having a few fags now and then, man. To cut down from 15 a day to a few weeks is some achievement and i'm in awe of anyone who can do that. AND you're a student!! The temptation as a student is 100 times worse than that in the "real world" because you're doing alot more partying and you've alot more free time on your hands.

I've given up four days now after a year of travelling when I was smoking about 20 a day (I smoked only 4 a day here in Ireland before i left) and i'm meeting up with some friends tonight for a few pints and i'm dreading it. I have always associated beer with cigarettes since I started both - it's one of my favourite things in the world, a pint with a fag...disgusting really.Haha! I've bought a packet of those nicorette inhalers because it's the physical action of taking a drag from a cigarette, getting that hit and blowing the smoke out is what I miss the most.

Anyway, i think fair play to you, Foosh. In this drinking culture of ours, we have a harder time than most. Wish me luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

FTA69 wrote: »
    I dunno lad, smokers usually hate that consdescending stuff.

Ah you'd be suprised...obviously its said in a jokey sort of way...mock dissaproval and what not....and anyway, its a good way to start talking!

by the way, I'd say that stopping "on the hop" is the best way to do it!worked for me (kinda)

Eve: yeah, drinking still is difficult,but if i keep myself distracted, I usually do ok...best of luck to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I got off fags around the same time as you about 6 months ago. girlfriend around 8 months and she was my motivation seeing how easily she done it, also the price and having to buy them when you’ve ran out really wore on me over the 15 odd years of smoking, ive got to the stage now where I hate being tied to have to buy milk and bread every other day As i associate them with fags and that whole daily need that’s engrained in many Irish peoples minds that they need, milk,bread,tea,sugar and smokes, ****ing does my head in so ive cut it all out of my diet once and for all and rarely need to go near a newsagents ever.

After I got off them I tried the electronic cigarettes for a while which were great but was using far too strong a dose of nicotine probably overdosed at one stage and felt like **** for a few days so quit. But in moderation they were fine and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to have the odd puff without resorting to fags.

After cold turkey the withdrawal kicked in for at least a week in my case and boy oh boy did I feel like ****e, I was hardly able to breath and my jaw was nearly locking and I could smell and taste fags and everything to do with them all day, and of course the worst mood swings ever. Sounds harsh I know but was true. then after that It just got easier and easier, my breathing returned to normal and the mood changed and I never stopped drinking as Its the only thing that keeps me sane and I really looked forward to alcohol because I knew it was my only ''friend'' I had left.

So here I am 6 months later haven’t touched a fag since. been around them day and night in some cases and find the smell over powering and actually stings my nostrils and watching people hogging them until the butt worries & frightens me and I actually feel sorry for them because I used to be even worse and so glad ive quit.

Ill never ever smoke again and I truly believe this in my heart of hearts. I know people can have really bad patches in their lives with loved ones dying and such but as I said I have my friend the drink to help me through those times. I am not swapping one addiction for another I am just enjoying one more now because ive lost another.

So my final thoughts are that smoking is something that is associated with your life and your life only but is influenced by the people around you. It is like eating and buying only a certain brand of food or following a certain football team its in your genes, its something you want to be part of and enjoy but ultimately smoking will kill you sooner then you think. the health beneifits are remarkable also although ive put on some weight my skin.taste.hair.breathing and fitness levels have increased dramatically and my spirits are up and the anxiety levels down. I know its still early days but a few years from now and I'll look back and just think of how stupid I was in the first place.

just stay off it froosh69, youve had afew here and there not the worst in the world, your still a non smoker in my eye but make it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Off them 2 months myself and I find myself drinking every night now :o

• Advertisement

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Off them 2 months myself and I find myself drinking every night now :o

I wish I had your will power, man. I just find it difficult to enjoy a pint without smokin...its somethin im workin on...i was good at it, not so much now!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I dont think I have much will power or maybe Im beating myself over it. My girlfriend smokes and my house mate smokes but I manage to not so ya thats a few points for myself but I need to replace the fags with something else. Ive been smoking for 7 years, I gave up for 18months before, I spent my money on scratch cards for the 1st 3months, was sooo addictive it was unreal, this time around I just keep drinking. At least cigarettes dont alter your mind as drink does! I hope I can snap out of it, its just a phase I go through to compensate for my loss haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bridge

im smoking 20 years but can go thru a day without one no prob

bridge wrote: »
    im smoking 20 years but can go thru a day without one no prob

good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi
    I too, am off the smokes 6 months now and I still shock people when I tell them... I find it hard to believe myself! I LOVED my fags.... I enjoyed most of them...
    I set a date about two years ago and I stuck with it.. I think I had it drummed into my brain so much I believed I could do it before I even started.. I also read Allen Carrs book. I made a list of things to do in the evenings, I moved computer at home where I used to smoke alot.. so no mental association..
    My evening routine has totally changed.. I no longer sit watching TV from 6 pm onwards.. I rarely think of smoking... I drink Pints now as I do drink quicker than I used to.. The day I quit I had wine.. I figured I'm going to continue on as I did... just with no cigs.
    It can be done - just everyone has a different method that works for them.. finding it is the key.

• Advertisement
Advertisement