Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urinating issue

Options
  • 25-03-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I have a German shepherd pup who's male and 4 and half months old now.

But stil seems to want to go the wee in the squat position and refuses to cock his leg so to speak. Is this the norm for a dog his age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

can be our dog only started cocking his leg about 6 months or more and at that it looked like he had no idea why. his leg just came up and out and he was looking at us kinda perplexed as to what he was doin. he never squatted though just stood and pee'd all over the ground and his back paws half the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

well calling it squatting is a bit extreme on my part, just sorta stands still and hunkers down a bit to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Our fella will still go in the squat position - he is 10 months.
    It depends on where it is he's going. If he's in the middle of my (previously well maintained and green) lawn he will squat and widdle to his hearts content. If we're out walking and he sniff's a tree or lamp and decides to go he will lift his leg.

Bear in mind that the only reason a male lifts his leg as opposed to squatting is so he can pi$$ higher than the previous dog and hence cover its scent with his own, to mark his territory...

Give him time and he will lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

well our guy would just lean ever so slightly forward and the leg lifting came after a while where he'd started standing over small shrubs etc and weeing on them then it escalated to where he'd take on bigger ones and lift his leg to get closer. also the fact that he'd pee on his foot if he didn't lift it prob came into play. I read somewhere its down to sexual maturing also, its a show thing. if you get him neutered before he starts lifting he may never do it; our guy is neutered but still does it though not always. our guy last night went over to a bush lifetd his leg and went; but the clown lifted the wrong leg and peed in the wrong direction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep it is normal. My fella only started cocking his leg at about 7 months, some males never cock their leg, some just take longer than others. My friends dog is 15 months and rarely cocks his leg.

I wouldnt be worrying about it, better off not cocking their leg if you ask me, coz once they start they just wanna mark everything then, ha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement