Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds nesting in side of house

Options
  • 25-03-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with this problem. Our house is about 30 years old and when we bought it needed a good bit of work. Once thing we haven't gotten around to yet is filling small gaps between the roof tiles and the pvc facia part of the roof. In the last few weeks we've noticed, mostly because they're waking us up at 6am every morning!, that birds are nesting in one of the gaps right in the corner of the house. They're literally inside the hole and I'm worried about the damage they're doing as well as my lack of sleep!

Our next door neighbour said he had a similar problem and did a DIY plastering job on the gaps which looks really well. The problem being that my bf is completely useless at anything DIY related so that's a no-go. We need to find a plasterer of some sort that'll do the job for us... that's problem number 1.

Problem number 2 is getting rid of the birds. Does anyone know any way of getting rid of the birds from the hole before we close it up??? The hole is right up by the roof tiles so we can't get at it to poke around or anything. Does anyone have any tips on how to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You'll have to wait till the chicks have hatched and have flown off - possibly in late May.
    You really can't disturb them until then.
    As far as filling the holes, you should look for a handyman in the area who could do the job as it's not really a plasterer you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

When ever the birds are finished nesting, you should have a look at those devices that emit ultra sonic waves. I think there are some products on the market for birds, as well as those used for mice, rats, dogs, cats, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Johnnyr wrote: »
    When ever the birds are finished nesting, you should have a look at those devices that emit ultra sonic waves. I think there are some products on the market for birds, as well as those used for mice, rats, dogs, cats, etc.

This is a bit much if you ask me.

When the season is over and the chicks have flown the nest. Block all the places that birds could make, or get someone in as you think you'll have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

That's all well and good but the spot is right by our bedroom so every single morning at 6am we're wide awake now because of the birds. This going on until the end of May doesn't sound very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Well it's either that or kill the birds, whichever you prefer. Personally I'd just wait til they left and then seal it up, but if it's causing you so much grief, you could kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

That's all well and good but the spot is right by our bedroom so every single morning at 6am we're wide awake now because of the birds. This going on until the end of May doesn't sound very appealing.

Pretty sure that by law you must allow the fledglings to hatch and leave the nest before you take any action. My parents had the same issue but waited until the chicks had flown the nest - the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping little chicks almost made up for the early alarm clock every morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

You could try playing some loud music in the bedroom (or attic) during the day when you're not there? The birds won't want to hang around if it's a noisy area. Beat them at their own game:D.

3dsteel wrote: »
    You could try playing some loud music in the bedroom (or attic) during the day when you're not there? The birds won't want to hang around if it's a noisy area. Beat them at their own game:D.

I don't think the grumpy next door neighbour would be too happy with that :D

Looks like I'll just have to stick it out so. I actually don't think we can remove them because it's in such an awkward spot. I think I may crack up for the next few weeks. Pregnant women need sleep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

Pregnant women need sleep

Congratulations! If your new baby is anything like the little rascal we have you'll be up at 6 o'clock every morning regardless of the birds:eek:.

On a positive note, the clocks are going forward an hour this weekend so the birds should sleep for an extra hour next week. Enjoy the sleep while you can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

3dsteel wrote: »
    Congratulations! If your new baby is anything like the little rascal we have you'll be up at 6 o'clock every morning regardless of the birds:eek:.

On a positive note, the clocks are going forward an hour this weekend so the birds should sleep for an extra hour next week. Enjoy the sleep while you can get it!

You're not wrong !! She is getting good practice !!!

btw - girls are the worst !!

P.

• Advertisement

I know! I said that myself this morning about being awake at the crack of dawn :D

Bauderline - girls are worse?? Everyone else has told me otherwise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Keep it on topic. This is a DIY forum - so this conversation had better change to home-births pretty soon... :)

Advertisement