Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI Radeon or nVidia GeForce graphics card

Options
  • 25-03-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am getting am new dell PC, the graphic card options that I am interested in are the 512MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card [Included in Price] or the 512MB nVidia GeForce 9800GT graphics card [add € 60.00 ],

Is the GeForce 9800GT worth the extra cash? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

What are you going to be doing on the pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Unless you're into gaming that card is more than adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

PC for the home with some gaming for me, I was look to see what would be the best option for gaming requirements 2 years down the road or so?

Thanks for the relpys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Unless you're into gaming that card is more than adequate

Even if you are gaming that card is still adequate unless you have a fairly large monitor. At 1440x900 down, it'd be well capable of playing most new games at generally high settings.

The 9800GT is a good card too and 60 euro to upgrade is fairly reasonable compared to Dells usual extortion.

Don't bother with this 'I want to future proof it to last 2 years at high settings' thing if you're just a casual gamer, it's far, far cheaper to buy a new budget card every year or so. Like the Radeon 4670 you have there for example. A top of the line video card will often be worth about 30% its value in a years time, and then you'll have newer cards released that'll match the performance for half the original price paid.

I used to shell out hundreds every few months/6 months for a new card, as I always wanted to play games at 1920x1200 max settings, but these days I've only got a few hours per week to play games so I've been using budget cards - they still play games at a reasonable rate but dropping huge amounts of cash on cards that get exercised once a week was just a plain waste.

Thanks lads for the reply's:), I think I might go with the 9800GT if it the PC still come under my price range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You would build a PC for less money and it would be a better spec....DELL PC's are bad on so many levels bang for buck being one.....hell if you cant get anyone to build you a PC I will do it for ya....PM me.

Thanks for the offer Wonda-Boy but I am grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You would build a PC for less money and it would be a better spec....DELL PC's are bad on so many levels bang for buck being one.....hell if you cant get anyone to build you a PC I will do it for ya....PM me.

Will you build mine??? ;)

Advertisement