Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I bother you again re cooking course?!

• 25-03-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

What type of cooking course in a cooking school would you enroll and why? Thanks a million again. Cheers Oliver

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Vegetarian without a doubt. I find myself eating less and less meat to the point where its either a bit of chicken or fish. And Indian too. Something like the ones Govindas run - Im not sure what her name is but Ive seen her mentioned on here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

What type of cooking course in a cooking school would you enroll and why? Thanks a million again. Cheers Oliver

I think it's better to learn the basic by yourself (or getting help from parents/friends) and then follow cooking courses specialized on particular topics (how to cook particular cuts of meat, for example, etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Why do you want to know? Is this to do with your pitch to the production company about a food programme?

What course would you do yourself & why?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi Oliver,

I've been looking for a decent vegetarian/wholefoods based course and basically, there isnt one in this country. Any cookery school that does a vegetarian course only has them for half a day or 1 day max. Theres sooooo much that could be taught about alternative wholefood ingredients like spelt/millet/quinoa/soy/tofu that type of thing but apart from the Blazing Salads 1 day course, theres no other couse of this nature.
    I love being told the benefits of foods and what they do for our bodys or how they support our insides etc. There used to be a programme like this on a sky channel a few years ago with two women cooking; cant remember the name of it but havnt seen one since and I can honestly say I have a full blown addiction to cookery programmes! Seriously! So I hope yours gets past the pilot and we can look forward to a new series. By the way, I work in film/tv so I know how hard it can be to get started.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Thanks for the replies. (Hillibilly) I want to teach cooking and perhaps open a cooking school or perhaps teach private in houses for a small number of people. And I need to write a program for it. I am a qualified chef and worked in Europe, Middle & Far East. Thats where the production company aspects comes in as a friend is one of the producers.
    Once again thanks for all the replies. Cheers Oliver

• Advertisement

Would there be a market for cooking classes at a home? Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

depends on the price of the cooking course at home, would you supply the equipment and ingredients ect.

Id love to do a course on bread making, indian, thai ect
    or your could to a beef/pork course- teaching people to use all cuts of the animal.

I suppose I would bring the pots and pans, knifes and boards etc. teaching material etc. The menu will be discussed and agreed before hand. Max 5 or 6 pax. Price includes food to be prepared and dinner for all.
    Hmmm this sounds like a plan. What would you be willing to pay per person??
    Thanks Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

well if food is included i'd pay around 80-100 per person, but youd might have to charge more depending on what your cooking, seafood dishes are quite expensive.

what would be your travel area be

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katelawrence

I did a couple of great weekend courses on vegetarian cooking at Hagal Farm just outside Bantry. Can really recommend it.
    http://hagalholistichealth.com/index.php/Upcoming-Events.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement