Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning-after pill on sale online

Options
  • 25-03-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Linky

Don't know if this is the right spot but hearing it on the news!

What do ye think?

Can't be a good idea, can it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is prescription only in this country and anyone who tired to order in to here is breaking the law as they don't have a lience to import medications.

Personally I don't think that service is a good idea.
    I would be wary that is it just away to sell more product rather then
    being a proper service for women which has their health and well being first.
    Morning-after pill on sale online
    Morning-after pill
    One morning-after pill will cost £27.99 on the new service

A major High Street chemist has become the first in the UK to sell the morning-after pill over the internet.

Lloyds Pharmacy says it's giving people an option in emergencies but critics say it'll encourage unprotected sex.

From Monday, women can order up to three pills, which will be delivered 72 hours after they place the order.

Women wanting to use the service will have to complete a detailed questionnaire, which will then be checked by a doctor.

Women will be able to purchase up to three pills at a time, at prices ranging from £27.99 to £74.97.

The pill, which is reportedly 95% effective if taken within 24 hours of having sex, will only be sent to the address of the credit card holder ordering.

Steve Marinker, spokesperson for Lloyds Pharmacy, explained how the service was designed to be used.

This can help prevent things such as unplanned pregnancies as opposed to encouraging promiscuity
    Emily James, Marie Stopes International

"A lot of women have told us that they would find it very useful to have an advanced supply of the morning-after pill," he explained.

"For example, when they're going abroad somewhere where they don't speak the language and they're worried that if they find themselves in a situation where they might need the morning-after pill - for example, a condom splits - that they won't necessarily be able to get one very easily.

"Maybe something's gone wrong with their normal contraception and it's a Saturday night," he added, "and they might be anxious about how long it will take them to get a morning-after pill, and that they might have to wait until Monday morning."

Confidential checks

Steve Marinker explained that the service's safeguards should cut the chances of people taking advantage of the system - for example, by stockpiling pills either for their own use or to sell on.

"Price is one [barrier]," he said, "and so too is the fact that each and every time you try to buy these products on our service a GP reviews your application.

"Through the confidential online patient record, he or she would know when you last tried to buy this product, so if there was anything irregular or worrying, the GP would immediately get in contact and ask you questions before they'd be prepared to write a prescription."

Some groups have greeted the news with concern, however, claiming the new system could cause harm to women by possibly making it simpler to get hold of the morning-after pill.

Paul Tully from the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children is worried by the news.

"We're very disturbed at this development, this is a trend that a number of those in the family planning industry have been pushing for," he said.

He believes contraceptive practices aren't working.

"One's got to look at good evidence. In terms of the epidemiological evidence - what's happening throughout the population - the accelerating rate of sexually transmitted diseases and the continuing high level of teenage pregnancies, pregnancies which people say are unplanned, and of abortions.

"All those practices indicate that the current kind of practices are not working."

'Emergency purposes only'

Emily James from the family planning clinic Marie Stopes International reckons the service is a step forward, though.

"The way people should perhaps be viewing this is very much as a 'belt and braces' approach," she said.

The morning-after pill is not meant to replace daily contraceptive pills

"This isn't designed to be contraception in its own right, the idea is that people can order this as part of their forward planning for if their normal contraception fails.

"So it's the idea that you can have it in your cupboard alongside your Paracetamol and your Nurofen, but with the idea that it's not there for consistent use, it's there for emergency purposes only."

Some commentators have suggested that the system, whereby women could have a few morning-after pills in their possession for emergencies, may lead to increased promiscuity, or even more cases of unprotected sex.

However, Emily James doesn't believe the small possibility of inappropriate use should stop Lloyds offering the service.

"That's always a risk that people are not going to use it in the intended way," she explained.

"There's always risks with contraceptive measures, nothing is 100% effective, so the idea that people can actually use emergency contraception is actually there to serve people who have had, for some reason, failed contraception.

"This can help prevent things such as unplanned pregnancies as opposed to encouraging promiscuity.

"The idea is that it needs to be used in the way it is intended."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

sounds like a baaad baaad idea.

i can just imagine the scenario: "ah we've no condoms but sure i have a few MAPs at home ill just take 1 later"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

" women can order up to three pills, which will be delivered 72 hours after they place the order."

Bit frickin late if your actually using it for its intended purpose. Just gonna result in stupid lazy idiots spreading more STIs around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i think its very dodgy.

whats to stop someone lying on the "detailed questionnaire" about their health issues, just so they can get the MAP

and its also likely to lead to teh attitude "ah sure go ahead, ive the MAP in teh cupboard"

dodgy, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I can't see it being beneficial, in the sense that it'll be abused.

It won't deliver outside the UK. AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I cannot speak for all women but I know that for myself, and myself only, I would find it very useful to be able to get the MAP easily in an emergency.

Having said that, I would find it better to be able to go to the local pharmacy, explain my situation to the pharmacist, and get the MAP without having to give the doctor €55 aswell.

I've never used it myself, but I understand that the effects of it can be pretty horrid; not sure if people would end up abusing it if one is going to feel awful and be bleeding a lot after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What's it going to be called?
    The morning after the morning after the morning after the morning after (week-ends and Bank Holidays excluded) pill ?
    FFS the child will be making its Communion before you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Morgase wrote: »
    Having said that, I would find it better to be able to go to the local pharmacy, explain my situation to the pharmacist, and get the MAP without having to give the doctor €55 aswell.

Can you actually do that

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can you actually do that

You HAVE to see a doctor - They take blood pressure and ask questions regarding medical history.

So you have to pay the doctor (€50) AND for the pill (€20-€30)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I fully support this.

A few idiots potentially misusing it is not an excuse to cover everyone else in bubblewrap.

And I mean, if it's available over the counter, then there's no reason for it not to be sold online.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    I fully support this.

A few idiots potentially misusing it is not an excuse to cover everyone else in bubblewrap.

And I mean, if it's available over the counter, then there's no reason for it not to be sold online.

Where it is available over the counter it is with a consultation with a pharamist.
    Your supposed to use this to store the pill up just in case, and it is safe because a doctor is checking your questionare.
    What happens if circumstances have changed by the time you need the pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You HAVE to see a doctor - They take blood pressure and ask questions regarding medical history.

So you have to pay the doctor (€50) AND for the pill (€20-€30)

That was my experience, I just wondered if there was a way to get around it if necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Rock and a Hard place. While I agree with the over seas scenario with the language barrier i think there is potential for muppetry with this product.. but i can see problems like...
    -Women buying it who are not currently in need and having it to hand "just in case"
    -People who need it and wouldnt get it in time to get maximum benifit
    -People taking more risks and contracting STD's/STI's because of its relative availablity.

But personally afaik you are not meant to take this any more than three times ever? Correct me if i am wrong here as i very well could be. . .

All seems fairly sketchy to me!

bluewolf wrote: »
    That was my experience, I just wondered if there was a way to get around it if necessary

Go to a chemist across the border.

If it's just a questionnaire, then it's obviously not a matter of life or death.

If the woman's circumstances change, then she should know not to take the MAP, as if reasons not to take the MAP are detectable with a questionnaire, it means she'll know herself not to take it.

If it's just a questionnaire, then it's obviously not a matter of life or death.

If the woman's circumstances change, then she should know not to take the MAP, as if reasons not to take the MAP are detectable with a questionnaire, it means she'll know herself not to take it.

You really have no idea how clueless/desperate some people are and can be when it comes to trying to stop a pregnancy.

Yes in the case of the morning after pill causing a clot and it going to the brain or the heart it can be a case of life of death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

tLL - I learn something new everyday :)

I don't know enough about the health slanted viewpoint, but can see the logic, but the lazy idiots/increased promiscuity viewpoint staggers me.

From what I read of it, the MAP is very safe. A blood clot causing death would be a very very exceptional case. And as far as I can see, it seems that it's only those with a pro-life/anti-contraception agenda that promote such ideas of it being unsafe.

From what I read of it, the MAP is very safe. A blood clot causing death would be a very very exceptional case. And as far as I can see, it seems that it's only those with a pro-life/anti-contraception agenda that promote such ideas of it being unsafe.

I am pro-choice and pro contraception so you can't lump me in with SPUC :P
    and I still have my concern esp when you factor in the chances of a person
    giving it to a friend as far to many people will do with prescription meds.

But it's been approved as an OTC drug in most countries.

I can't find any reports on women dying from it online.

I just can't see anything wrong with it being more available...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Thaedydal wrote: »
    and I still have my concern esp when you factor in the chances of a person
    giving it to a friend as far to many people will do with prescription meds.

Sadly I agree with that, i've seen too many otherwise intelligent (and some downright stupid as well) people do really idiotic things with OTC and prescription drugs.

Also, saw on a tv medical drama a few years ago a plot line that involved a man using herbs to induce an abortion in his unsuspecting girlfriend. Yes, that was hyped up tv land - but i wouldn't be comfortable with the MAP being available over the internet to random anyones.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

I live in Holland and here it's available in most chemists, you don't even have to ask for it as it's on the shelf outside the counter and it costs about E15.

I'm for making it more available and trusting people not to overuse/abuse it. Needing the MAP can be a traumatic experience and having to make a doctors appointment, explain to him/herwhy you need it and get a prescription filled at the pharmacy only adds to the stress and also wastes valuable time which can then make the pill less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I could be wrong but arent you only meant to take it so many times in your life?
    That easily available will be dodgey tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Jemmy wrote: »
    I could be wrong but arent you only meant to take it so many times in your life?
    That easily available will be dodgey tbh.

http://www.levonelle.co.uk/output/Page95.asp

(AFAIK this is the morning after pill most commonly used in Ireland).

Gauge wrote: »

Oh right, but for some reason I have a memory of someone saying it is only advisable to take it a certain amount of times in your lifetime! My mind plays tricks on me sometimes! :D:p

If its that easy to get your hands on girls will be almost relying on it imo.

Razzle wrote: »
    I live in Holland and here it's available in most chemists, you don't even have to ask for it as it's on the shelf outside the counter and it costs about E15.

I'm for making it more available and trusting people not to overuse/abuse it. Needing the MAP can be a traumatic experience and having to make a doctors appointment, explain to him/herwhy you need it and get a prescription filled at the pharmacy only adds to the stress and also wastes valuable time which can then make the pill less effective.

Holland has actual proper reproductive health bases education in schools
    we do not.

3 times max I believe.

After that the chances of it working as successful as 95% lessen as your body is used to the hormones!

I personally don't believe in pumping your body with hormones. Even the pill scares the crap outta me!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Holland has actual proper reproductive health bases education in schools
    we do not.

I think its ridiculous that there isnt more awareness in schools these days.
    I'm only 23 so out of school almost 6 yrs but for the 6 years I was in secondary school all we got was 1 half hour session on sex ed etc. :eek:

Gauge wrote: »

And also from that website.

The great majority of women can take Levonelle One Step® emergency contraception (the morning after pill) without any problem. There are few side effects and there is no evidence of any long-term impact on your health or your future fertility. If you are over sixteen, you can buy Levonelle One Step® over the counter at most pharmacies throughout the UK.

However, a few medications can interact with emergency contraceptive pills, and make them less effective. And there are some medical conditions that may mean Levonelle One Step® is not suitable for you.
    Medical conditions

Your pharmacist can only supply you with Levonelle One Step® after asking you certain questions. These questions are designed to check that you are suitable for this type of emergency contraception. Click here to see the questions the pharmacist will ask you.

You should not take Levonelle One Step® in the following circumstances:

* You have had an allergic reaction to the progestogen 'levonorgestrel' contained in some oral contraceptives
    * You have a disease of the bowel/gut which causes malabsorption such as Crohn's Disease
    * You have severe liver disease
    * You are taking medication that might interact with Levonelle One Step®

If you are taking any other medication, you are ill at the moment or you have a long-term medical condition, be sure to tell your pharmacist, doctor or family planning clinic before taking Levonelle One Step® and ask for advice on what to do next. If you can't take emergency contraception, ask about the IUD which can be fitted up to 5 days after unprotected sex.

I am not anti emergency contraception at all, but it is not suitable for everyone and while I do agree that it should be available over the counter
    after a consult with your chemist assuming you have a regular chemist
    I still disagree with it being mail order over the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

3 times max I believe.

After that the chances of it working as successful as 95% lessen as your body is used to the hormones!!

See my link above. Every girl I know seems to believe in this myth. It's not true and people are doing no good by constantly repeating it.

Advertisement