Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Address

Options
  • 25-03-2009 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Quick question - is the IP address with Chorus fixed or dynamic?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

dynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

are u sure, i heard it was static..or if it is dynamic that it remains static for long(weeks) periods of time..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

its a static ip address

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Im sure you can check by checking your network configuration , going into your router setup and doing a cmd 'ipconfig /all'

I would assume its dynamic though as if you are to set up a network (laptop, desktop, xbox) each would then have its own IP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

I checked out the router setting and the IP address is shown greyed out as static. I suppose it's static.

Thanks guys (gals)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Im sure you can check by checking your network configuration , going into your router setup and doing a cmd 'ipconfig /all'

This will not tell the OP what he needs to know.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chorus/UPC/NTL use dynamic addresses. A user though normally keeps the address for months at a time despite this, including modem restarts. The cable modem needs to be turned off for several hours usually for a different address to be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If I leave my modem powered off for over a week it normally changes. Often if it is unplugged over the weekend, it will be the same when reconnect. It is dynamic but it seems to stay for about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Heinrich wrote: »
    I checked out the router setting and the IP address is shown greyed out as static. I suppose it's static.

Thanks guys (gals)

If the static part is greyed out in your TCP/IP settings, then your network connection is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' ...it generally means its dynamic.

You will be given a random IP within a certain range each time your router is started. You can set it up to have a static IP though if needs be...main reasons for setting up a static IP would be to forward/open ports etc

http://www.portforward.com if you need help setting up a static IP on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

SeantheMan wrote: »
    If the static part is greyed out in your TCP/IP settings, then your network connection is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' ...it generally means its dynamic.

You will be given a random IP within a certain range each time your router is started. You can set it up to have a static IP though if needs be...main reasons for setting up a static IP would be to forward/open ports etc

http://www.portforward.com if you need help setting up a static IP on your router.
    While that information may be correct, it does not relate in to the OP's question, and is quite misleading.

Spear has given an accurate answer for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

technically speaking it is dynamic (i.e. your modem does not have a permanently fixed internet facing IP address) BUT as spear says, your IP may not change for months at a time.

I got my NTL in on the 11th november and my IP address has not changed since the first time my modem connected.

this doesn't mean it's static though, just that it hasn't changed yet. :)

There Dynamic, ie; Assigned by DHCP. End of story.

And its the modem, so it makes no real difference, as in port forwarding ect which is all done if a router is used alongside, which will have local ips..

Advertisement