Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foresty - Farmer premium

• 25-03-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,
    I inherited land some years ago which is very marginal and I am in the process of getting about 12 Hectares planted for forestry. Green belt are looking after the application for me. I am not a farmer myself but I have been told that if I reactivate my deceased relative's herd number then I could recieve the farmer premium instead of the non-frarmer rate.

I would have to buy livestock and have them tested in order to qualify as a farmer. I have been told that I would only have to purchase one or two LU, keep them for a relatively short period and could then sell them on at a later date without continuing to keep livestock. I live a long way from the land and I would be relying on a friend to look after the livestock for me during this period.

Does anyone have experince of going down this route or have I been ill informed?

Thanks in advance,
    Barndancer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

before you start at all, have a word with some one of the REPS advisors as you migth be able to get REPS payments as well as the Forestry payments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

barndancer wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I inherited land some years ago which is very marginal and I am in the process of getting about 12 Hectares planted for forestry. Green belt are looking after the application for me. I am not a farmer myself but I have been told that if I reactivate my deceased relative's herd number then I could recieve the farmer premium instead of the non-frarmer rate.

I would have to buy livestock and have them tested in order to qualify as a farmer. I have been told that I would only have to purchase one or two LU, keep them for a relatively short period and could then sell them on at a later date without continuing to keep livestock. I live a long way from the land and I would be relying on a friend to look after the livestock for me during this period.

Does anyone have experince of going down this route or have I been ill informed?

Thanks in advance,
    Barndancer

You would also need to have generated over 25% of your income from farming activities in one of the 3 years preceding the application.

You need to get proper advice on this- its not as simple as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

Have a look at the following link for details regarding the farmer premium rates and what you need to qualify. It is from the official dept website.
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/publications/forestrymanual2004/chapter3premiumpaymentschemes/

You should also check with GreenBelt, as I'm sure they would have experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barndancer

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking it sounded too ggod to be true. I will have to get further clarification from Greenbelt Rep as it was he who told me about this scenario in the first instance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

As far as I recall, if you opt into REPS, and then go down the route of FEPS afforestation, then you are automatically deemed to be a farmer.

• Advertisement

johnstown wrote: »
    As far as I recall, if you opt into REPS, and then go down the route of FEPS afforestation, then you are automatically deemed to be a farmer.

As far as I know you're right- but keep in mind this process can take up to 2 years (once inspections etc are factored into the equation).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 barndancer

smccarrick wrote: »
    You would also need to have generated over 25% of your income from farming activities in one of the 3 years preceding the application.

You need to get proper advice on this- its not as simple as it sounds.

Apparently the restrictions on having to reside within 70miles of the plantation and 25% of income from farming are no longer required to qualify as farmer. See the following link http://www.ireland-forestry.com/Afforestation%20Scheme.htm

Thanks for the update- I might make a forestry sticky over the weekend with the info in it- I'm sure its a question which will be asked again and again.....

Cheers

Shane

Advertisement