Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are SMART worth getting ?

Options
  • 25-03-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

As I'll be changing ISP soon, could anyone on SMART fill me in as to whether they are worth getting ? How is the service ?...pings? contention etc

Its just that I've been with eircom 5 years now, and never had a prob....and from memory when SMART came along first they recieved too many orders and were unable to cope with the demand.

Have things changed since then, I'd like to know if yous think its worthwhile switching to them or to NTL , BT ?

Much appreciated :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Doesnt matter, I cant get it in my poxy exchange :( ... you'd think theyd have it in one of the largest Suburban areas in Ireland :(.....poxy eircom

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Doesnt matter, I cant get it in my poxy exchange :( ... you'd think theyd have it in one of the largest Suburban areas in Ireland :(.....poxy eircom

Where are you living?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I live in Clondalkin, just beside Liffey Valley.
    However I'm on the Palmerstown exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've been with smart for about 3 years. Find them excellent - consistent speeds, no caps and no throttling. Customer support via phone/forum is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm pretty happy with them... I'd actually like to switch to Magnet so I can get phone/iptv/broadband all together, but I'm still in contract with smart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OisinT wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with them... I'd actually like to switch to Magnet so I can get phone/iptv/broadband all together, but I'm still in contract with smart.

Magnet don't sell IPTV to ADSL customers, they only sell it to customers who are in Magnet Fiber To The Home developments.

Smart actually do sell IPTV to ADSL customers who have fast enough lines, but I wouldn't recommend it, IPTV just doesn't work very well, you would be much better off with cheaper Sky service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.irishisptest.com:443/myspeed/db/report?id=308179

I have a 6MB / 512K service with smart. Find them excellent. Usually get almost the full speed. Above link to a Speed test on my installation.

P.S. I rebooted the router after the test to get a new IP address :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

well my only comment about smart residential is that i signed up to their excellent offer of calls & broadband (think it was basically free basic broadband) which was meant to be delivered some June, that came & went, I was offered phone service switchover in the interim which i took, then over a year or some later no broadband & my home phone was cut off (the Eircom removal of service to them) so that was all a waste, I was forced onto Eircom & whilst I had full intention to not stay with them I have done til now, must be 2 yrs now maybe more

Anyway they never delivered what was offered so a very bad provider.

ps I'm Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bk wrote: »
    Magnet don't sell IPTV to ADSL customers, they only sell it to customers who are in Magnet Fiber To The Home developments.

Smart actually do sell IPTV to ADSL customers who have fast enough lines, but I wouldn't recommend it, IPTV just doesn't work very well, you would be much better off with cheaper Sky service.
    yeah sorry i meant fiber to home

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

bk wrote: »
    IPTV just doesn't work very well, you would be much better off with cheaper Sky service.

IPTV doesnt work well? Can you explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

I also just signed up with Smart 7Mb down and the 1mb upload package. I was /am with BT and am not getting anywhere near the package I am paying for.

Just wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions. I am told I am getting the Thompson wireless modem. Is it easy to set up UPnP for the Xbox 360?

With the following stats, using ADSL2+ would/should I get near the speeds I am hoping for.
    These are my stats and I realise They are not good.

noise margin upstream: 19 db
    output power downstream: 18 db
    attenuation upstream: 30 db

noise margin downstream: 6 db
    output power upstream: 12 db
    attenuation downstream: 53 db

Last question:o. Will my IOL Email address die when I leave BT? Wifey is really on my case about this. Is there any way to keep addy?

To OP, didn't want to start a new thread, hope you dont mind:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

paddyk wrote: »

You'll only get about 4.3 megs down. And given the poor noise margin, it'll be prone to disconnects.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I also just signed up with Smart 7Mb down and the 1mb upload package. I was /am with BT and am not getting anywhere near the package I am paying for.

Just wondering if you guys could help me with a few questions. I am told I am getting the Thompson wireless modem. Is it easy to set up UPnP for the Xbox 360?

With the following stats, using ADSL2+ would/should I get near the speeds I am hoping for.

Last question:o. Will my IOL Email address die when I leave BT? Wifey is really on my case about this. Is there any way to keep addy?

To OP, didn't want to start a new thread, hope you dont mind:D

On what speed line are those stats taken?

You should be able to hold on to your old email address just change the smtp tp Smart's.

Those stats are from a sync speed of 5.2Mb down and 508 kb up. My speed fluctuates, on speedtest.net, From 3.5 to 4.5Mb down and always around .4 up.

I am on the 8Mb package with BT on an LLU. Was getting speeds of up to 6 Mb down and roughly the same up, .4 Mb.

Bt's answer was to keep lowering my speed and my ping kept getting higher, so gaming was getting harder and harder. Ping at the moment to the Dublin server is 80 odd m/s. I used to get pings of 25 to35 m/s.

This has been an ongoing problem which I have spent ages and ages onto tech support trying to sort out. Different person each time you ring does not help either.

Well I signed up with Smart cause of the good things peeps here have to say about them. Just hope I don't "game" to regret it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Those stats are from a sync speed of 5.2Mb down and 508 kb up. My speed fluctuates, on speedtest.net, From 3.5 to 4.5Mb down and always around .4 up.

I am on the 8Mb package with BT on an LLU. Was getting speeds of up to 6 Mb down and roughly the same up, .4 Mb.

Bt's answer was to keep lowering my speed and my ping kept getting higher, so gaming was getting harder and harder. Ping at the moment to the Dublin server is 80 odd m/s. I used to get pings of 25 to35 m/s.

This has been an ongoing problem which I have spent ages and ages onto tech support trying to sort out. Different person each time you ring does not help either.

Well I signed up with Smart cause of the good things peeps here have to say about them. Just hope I don't "game" to regret it.

Post here to get the Smart admins to have a look at your line and tweak it if needed.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

Spear wrote: »
    Post here to get the Smart admins to have a look at your line and tweak it if needed.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

I wish I could Spear. I probably didn't explain properly:D

I have signed up with Smart from BT. I have been told it will take about 14 days for the handover of my line and dsl.

Heres hoping I am not going from the pot to the frying pan.

Advertisement