Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Net

Options
  • 25-03-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Does anybody know the legalities of using a cast net in Irish rivers? Probably would not be too popular with anglers, but it looks like fun to get some mullet that way. I used to have a draft net licence, but thats suspended now. So its either a cast net or buy a fishing rod.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Completely illegal. Don't even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

be a good sport and buy ur self a good rod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Its illegal and you could end up getting yourself arrested and possibly a few slaps for your troubles. I know lads who would absolutely freak if they saw someone with net, Nets are for rock pools. Mullet could probably avoid the net anyway,they have super powers, its widely known

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I presumed it was illegal, But does anyone know where I can find the info on the relevant laws/regulations. I know for sure it is illegal in fresh water, but I am interested in salt water estuaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Estuaries come under the same legislation as freshwater, as the defined river mouth is invariably seaward of the estuary, these were defined in legislation dating back to the formation of the State AFAIK. This was to prevent exactly what you are talking about, as well as to protect property rights of several fisheries by extending the fishery rights to the defined mouth and not the extent of freshwater limit.
    I can't quote the exact legislation, do your own research. If you do use a cast net, or any type of net, I hope you're caught and prosecuted. The judge won't care that you claimed you didn't know it was illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Zzippy wrote: »
    Estuaries come under the same legislation as freshwater, as the defined river mouth is invariably seaward of the estuary.

This is not true. see here where it makes specific restrictions to freshwater
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1959/en/act/pub/0014/sec0099.html

But anyway, you have put me off the idea. And I think this is the law that covers it.
    (2) It shall not be lawful for any person (other than the owner of a several fishery in the whole of a river and its tributaries within the limits of such several fishery) to shoot, draw, or stretch any net entirely across the mouth or across any other part of a river.

From here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1949/en/act/pub/0027/sec0013.html

Took me ages to find it though, thats why I tried asking on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

if i had a boat and was out in the bay, I assume it would be perfectly legal to use a cast-net?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

buy a fishing rod

i hate all the messing around with hooks and lures and lines

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

i hate all the messing around with hooks and lures and lines

Get a different hobby then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

considering the content above, i would be fairly sure you would be very good at trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, if you're not interested in the sport of fishing and just the end product, just go here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Gardening is a good source of cheap protein, you get exercise from tilling the soil, cheaper than shooting, and it's perfectly legal.

But if the OP once had a draft net license, it requires a mind altering process first ! :)

i just want an efficient easy way to catch the fish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

i just want an efficient easy way to catch the fish

See Paparazzo's Link above for efficient way of getting fish

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

100% illegal and unsporting. Nothing really else to say about the matter apart from it has nothing to do with angling as a sport.
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement