Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading heating system

Options
  • 25-03-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I am going to replace my gas boiler with condensing type boiler and i want to update the heating system and controls. I am being advised to change to a sealed system and i am thinking of using TRV's on the radiators. Are they a good idea and should i put them on all radiators. Currently i have one room stat for the whole heating system and it is directly over a radiator. Any comments or advice appreciated. Also any comments on boilers. I got a Potterton Suprema 8 years ago and i was told it was the dogs balls of a radiator at the time. It was certainly the balls part (bad electronics).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

the advice your getting is good a sealed system is a great job had to change a few old vented systems to sealed ones my self to solve problems with botched jobs before me . trvs are good too i used them mostly where you'd have another heat source in a room like an open fire but i think they're regulation now on all new jobs not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You will be able to get the new grant if your change your boiler and install TRV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

There is a risk in converting an old vented pipework system to a modern sealed system. You will have to pressure test the pipework to 3 bar, as it will be operating at 1 bar. If it passes the test then everything is fine and dandy, if it fails then you have a leak, and you may end up digging up floors etc. for find the failed joint.

I installed a new condensing boiler in my 1990's vintage house. I just had to operate it as a vented system (the pressure switch had to be permanently bypassed).

I also fitted TRVs to the upstairs radiators and they work great. The recommended temp for a bedroom is 18 degrees C whereas people like 20-21 degrees C in the living area. So the radiators are hot in the morning and turn themselves off in the evening when the room is warmer.

If you are fitting TRVs then you need to fit them horizontally (preferably) on the side of the radiator nearer the centre of the room.

The following site gives good guidance on various control options:
    http://www.idhee.org.uk/TACMAGuide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

youtheman wrote: »
    I installed a new condensing boiler in my 1990's vintage house. I just had to operate it as a vented system (the pressure switch had to be permanently bypassed).

Bypassing the pressure switch
    1. is Highly dangerous
    2. is Illegal
    3. Will invalidate any manufacturers warranty
    4. There are condensing boilers available that are suitable for open vented systems

As of today the grant scheme from Sustainable Energy Ireland has been opened to applications from homeowners. See www.sei.ie/hes
    Any good installer - RGI listed of course -will give you the correct advice on your system. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get a number of quotes. Just remember to compare like with like in the quotations! If they can't answer your questions to your satisfaction show them the door!!!
    The customer is king:D

Advertisement