Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come Dine with boards.ie

Options
  • 25-03-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭

The dynamic would be similar to that of the Channel 4 television programme.

I love cooking programmes, and while my culinary skills are not the most rounded, i always fancied my hand at hosting.

Anywho. I also heard that someone had tried this in Ireland with their extended family (i think it was on the radio). So i propose to hold a similar event(s) with boardsies. We would meet up in someones place, or a place of their choosing (where THEY would cook, buying everyone a meal doesnt count) and a set menu would be handed out. After the gastronomic marvelousness of it all, the diners would score the meal, and then next week (or later that week depending...) someone else would host the same group of people.

There are a few snags i can think of: maybe someones place wont be free etc.... but these can be overcome. I mean i currently live at home, but know you can rent a fully equiped apartment reasonably.

The menu should consist of the following and while there are no restrictions (bar getting a take away) on what you can serve, it should follow the following guidelines;

Aperitif
    Starter
    Main
    Desert

Im totally throwing this idea out into space to see if there is interest, and we can take it from there. But suggestions and ideas about such a night are welcome.

Let me know if you would be up for it, and we shall see what we shall see.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

why not? :D I cannot host but I'd be more than happy to come and cook something!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Italian perhaps :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I mailed Mr Magnolia about this a while ago. I think its a great idea - someone else suggested it a while ago on here but I dont think there were many biters. (haha) To do it I think there would have to be rules firmed up to ensure fair play

For example

Would professionals be allowed to partake?
    Do they have to be regular members of the forum - known posters?
    Will it be held in Dublin? Can people travel?
    Will there be a set budget?
    Will it be one style of food - eg - Italian/Irish?Chinese - theme nights
    Who will pick who takes part if there are a flurry of players?
    Who will update the forum?

Im sure there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

will there be a prize :D

friends of mine did it with their neighbours.
    Same format as c4 but instead of doing it in one week they did one party a month. They all put Eur 50 into the pot for the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cb7

Hi
    Count me in for the come dine with me. Sounds good. Live near Carrickmacross in Monaghan.
    The only problem may be people having to travel to other peoples houses. It could be quite a distance.

I have no bother during the summer months.

• Advertisement

Im gonna bump this. Sorry ive been all over the place lately....If anyone wants to PM me with suggested rules or a committment to take part, please do. If we get a proper structure and enough interest via PM, i think we can take this to the next level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd love to take part but;

lack of a car.

I'm always busy at least one night of the week with the football team.

Anyway.

If this goes ahead and you need any help at this end, just shout at me.

I wonder would you like to take it to a wider audience, and I also wonder how this could be accomplished.

You want me to sticky this for a while?

Yes please cheers Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Done.

Are you getting a film crew in?

At the very least you know an excellent photographer.

Haha. Nah....real chefs never crave the limelight.

This is just a bit of craic.

Like Boardeaux. But without the celebritae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Des wrote: »
    Done.

Are you getting a film crew in?

I am interested in cooking but I don't like the noisy part of the TV programme where the guests get to poke through bedrooms and closets. The driving part of this proposal seems to rule out wine for most of the participants.

I fancy myself as a good photographer - could I conbine cooking with snap taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katelawrence

Hiya, I'd be interested but more if it were non-competitive, interested in eating and enjoying not judging! Maybe if everyone did one of the courses? :)

Hiya, I'd be interested but more if it were non-competitive, interested in eating and enjoying not judging! Maybe if everyone did one of the courses? :)

Now that sounds like a plan and a half. Im looking into getting a convenient fully equiped venue for us which would be neutral.....ill post back with more, but if people want to start suggesting interesting things they could cook, we can really get the ball rolling.

Also, i myself am less interested in making this a competition. The C&R forum should be about having fun with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd love to do this, but I'm too far away :(. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

We can have our own Sligo version Tequila:D

It sounds like a great idea,but I'd be the one that would turn up when dinner is finished as I always get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Des wrote: »

Who!? Anyone I know?

:pac:

I was discussing this with a friend last night was we were watching the best series of CDWE ever! One of the particiants got trashed and another of the compeditors ended up cooking for her! :D

I have alredy expressed my interest in this and last night my friend said he would give it a bash too. We're both based in Dublin. Obviously couldnt take part on the same night as we know each other too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

That one was hilarious last night! Yer one ended up with a score of 9/ 40. She made pavlova for dessert and it was this weird brown colour! Dinner was old el paso fajitas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It was so funny, and that caribean dude going mad at every party because people were talking, lol

Virtual come dine with me :)

Tonight we are having a 70s night!

Drinks on arrrival - Bloody Marys

Nibbles - Mini Vol-e-Vonts stuffed with chicken and mushroom. Served lukewarm

Starter - Prawn cocktail

prawn_cocktail.jpg

Main - Chicken Chasseur (Cross & Blackewell)

chicken_chasseur.jpg

Dessert - Mandarin Meringue creams

cream_pie.jpg

Theres Cheese Fondue for any veggies that might be attending.

Wine served - Black Tower and Blue Nun. Beer available on request.

We'll be sitting on space hoppers and please dont forget to be considerate and allow your fellow guests to smoke where they like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You mean we have to ask for the Furstenberg? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Deepsense wrote: »

Starter - Prawn cocktail

prawn_cocktail.jpg

chicken_chasseur.jpg

cream_pie.jpg

We'll be sitting on space hoppers and please dont forget to be considerate and allow your fellow guests to smoke where they like. :)

Funny, prawn cocktail is more from the 80's though :-)

You mean we have to ask for the Furstenberg?

Ho wow! Id forgotten it existed! I also have a few West Coast Coolers in the fridge beside my dancing coke can to amuse folk when they open the fridge. (In 20 years time I will have a dancing trout ass my centrepiece) :pac:

Funny, prawn cocktail is more from the 80's though :-)

Hhhhmm....Times sez no...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article618760.ece

Have a Campari ......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I WANT BABYCHAM!

Its the 70s so its still safe to offer a snowball :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Hmm... I'm in Dublin too, I maybe might give this a go. I live in a one bedroom apartment though so people might have to eat off their laps. Will that dock me points?

Hmmmm this is gaining legs.....

Might be time to revive the idea. If people could keep posting virtual menu's that they could cook, that would be great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

I'm in for the Dublin area.

Should be like The Times article, one a week, maybe Sunday??? And a bit of flexibility ie 3 course brunch / lunch.

Without any competition it becomes a dinner party circle with a few other boardies. Wheres the glory in that?!

I thought we might stick a few quid in and then the winner get to donate to SFF in their name? Or summit like that anyway. There has to be a purpose otherwise half the devilment isint there. Others could open a book depending on their preferred menu? You get to keep the title until the next round.

Or something along those lines anyway........

• Advertisement

HA! You forgot the bowl for the car keys!!!
    Deepsense wrote: »

Starter - Prawn cocktail

prawn_cocktail.jpg

chicken_chasseur.jpg

cream_pie.jpg

Advertisement