Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Rent Reduced

Options
  • 25-03-2009 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm thinking about trying to get rent reduced. I moved into a new place with a friend back in November, it's a two person place and the rent is fairly high. The place itself isn't anything fantastic and there are a few draw backs to the place. The bedrooms are always cold, the washer/dryer has broken for the second time this week and the hot water pressure has magically dissapeared over the last week. Considering all of these things am I justified in trying to get my rent reduced? We rent through an agency and the girl we're in contact with isn't always the most pleasent. What's the best way to go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

well tbh, they're seperate issues.

The place should be fully functional and comfortable at all times, and problems remedied as soon as practicably possible.

Rent - it's down everywhere, so ask for your rent to be adjusted to the market rate, on the basis that you'll sign for the 12 months afresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

And begin another twelve month contract? I'd rather not if that's an option. Is that the usual procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think it's fair (given that a tenant has no problems with the place, so that's you out of that one!)

I't what i am going to do in my place - market rate has dropped from c.1200 to about 950, I like the place, the landlord, the area but seeing as I'm only in the place 6 months I don't think it's fair to look for a reduction mid-contract without guaranteeing another 12 months occupancy to the landlord.
    I think it makes sense for him, if he says no well that's his hard luck and I will have the pick of places in less than six months.

PS Others have successfully renegotiated mid-contract without extending leases. YMMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sligobhoy

Moved into a studio apartment in dublin in January, only got €20 off the asking price as stupidly I didn't have my ear to the ground.

The problem I have is I feel (possibly incorrectly?) that it is more difficult to get an idea of the actual market rental value of studios, there are a lot less of them than one/two bed apartments, they vary greatly in price, there are very few alike - especially in the same area.

Am I reading too much into this?
    Is there a way of calculating what rent should be based on the size of a place?

I also don't find daft much use because it is clear that some landlords have dropped their prices on the site but some have refused to do so and the actual price they will rent a place at is different to the price they will advertise at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There is no standard way of calculating rent- no.
    It all depends on what the landlord is looking for- and what the tenant is willing to pay. If the landlord asks for too much- his place isn't let. If he asks for too little- he doesn't maximise his profit potential. If a tenant considers they paid too much for an apartment- unfortunately they should have taken more care- and are now constrained by a combination of the 2006 Residential Tenancies Act, along with any contract they may have signed. If they choose to vacate the lease- they are bound by the terms of the lease, and if the next tenant is not willing to pay the amount in the original lease, in theory the landlord could potentially hold the original tenant for making good the difference. Does it happen in practice? Not frequently- but there have been a few cases recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭bobbiw

Sandor wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about trying to get rent reduced. I moved into a new place with a friend back in November, it's a two person place and the rent is fairly high. The place itself isn't anything fantastic and there are a few draw backs to the place. The bedrooms are always cold, the washer/dryer has broken for the second time this week and the hot water pressure has magically dissapeared over the last week. Considering all of these things am I justified in trying to get my rent reduced? We rent through an agency and the girl we're in contact with isn't always the most pleasent. What's the best way to go about this?

If you signed for 12 months you have to pay for 12 months. Its the same the other way around, the landlord can raise the rent either

Advertisement