Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P2P schooling

Options
  • 25-03-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Does anybody know of any places where you can school over point to point jumps and have a run up the gallops?

preferably in leinster and what are their rates per hour

Cheers

Wicked

Comments

Convert might know of some.

If you want to go down the free route, Curracloe beach in the morning is always full of racehorses training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Most places which allow schooling tend to charge per horse rather than per hour.

You could try Dun Inga gallops near Goresbridge in Kilkenny. They have a gallop and a few point-to-point style fences to school over. The last time I was there it was €50 per horse to use the gallop. I'm not sure if it's more expensive to school over fences.

I'm sure there are more places, but because I school my horse at home, and have only ridden out in a small racing yard with mostly flat horses, I'm not too familiar with schooling places. I think most trainers have their own fences now (as far as I know it's a requirement for obtaining a trainer's licence).

If you happened to know a trainer near you, you could always ask them if they'd mind if you came in to school/use the gallop an odd time?

Another option, if you have the space at home, is to build a point-to-point style fence out of gorse (if there's any nearby) in a field. You don't need a huge space, and one fence is fine. That way you can also adjust the fence to the horse - i.e. if it's a novice horse you can have it smaller than you would for a more experienced horse. And you can make it bigger/thicker as needs be (providing you have the gorse nearby).

Last option would be to keep an eye out for schooling races on the racecourses, but I'm not sure whether or not you need to be a trainer/handler to enter a horse in a schooling race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

id imagine you can school up the curragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You might get more info on the horse racing forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Point to point courses sometimes let people school around after racing is over for the day.

• Advertisement

Point to point courses sometimes let people school around after racing is over for the day.

Unfortunately that's becoming less and less frequent due to the issue of insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Hi Guys

thanks for all the comments - much appreciated.

We've been to a beach outside of gorey that had jumps set up - i think its called ballygarret.

We had been a few times to gallop on the beach and only found the jumps the last time, since then they've been gated off so you can't get into them. I don't think they were private because you could walk straight off the beach - if they were apologies to owner!! :o

Anyway, my bf father is building a proper style one for us so hopefully that will be done soon, but we were looking for somewhere until then.

I look into all the suggestions ye made.

cheers again.

Wicked

I have just been informed that schooling will take place between 9 and 12 tomorrow in Tattersalls over the point to point course which was in use today. This costs €50 per horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

ah feck, only read that now :mad:

I know it's really tedious, but you could try ringing around the point-to-point secretaries of the different hunts who are hosting the upcoming point-to-points and ask if they know if there'll be schooling after the point-to-points. The person taking the entries probably won't know, so you'd have to find the secretary on the p2p website (it's in the menu list on the left hand side of the home page).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

It may be worth asking your friendly neighbourhood racehorse trainer.Most of them do'nt bite and I know in my eventing days thats what I and many others did before 3 day events in the old format.

Advertisement