Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast cereal choice

• 25-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Ok currently hubby and I have Special K every morning but I'm concerned over the amount of sugar in said cereal so I want a change (hubby doesn't so he can buy his own!).

So I'm thinking bitesize Shredded Wheat could be the best option re low sugar, low salt but full of fibre?

I know porridge really is the favourite cereal on here but it's a no go for me I'm afraid - we both overdosed it on it about two years ago and just don't go near it nowadays. Pity cos I used to like it. Anyway time is a factor so cereal with skimmed milk is quick and easy.

So ... any advice? What is the best low sugar, low fat, and hopefully therefore low calorie but nutritionally sound cereal you can buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Scrambled eggs? Cooks in no time, and nutritionally way better than anything you can buy in a box.

I'm not an expert on cereals because oats are the only ones I ever eat (ever tried soaking the flakes in milk and leaving in the fridge overnight? The Swiss eat this as dessert) but anything like shredded wheat that has no added sugar has to be better than Special K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

Not sure I could stomach eggs that early in the morning I'm afraid.

I may try the porridge again - I did like the really coarse cut one best (that looks a little like horse feed!) so I might investigate that. In the meantime, possibly a box of bitesize Shreddies in the press will do no harm.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Griffinx

I make my own up using a mixture of

Bran
    Crushed Nuts
    seed mix
    Dried Fruits
    Wheat germ

In the morning I have it with milk (partner uses yogurt). If I have any fresh fruit I might cut up peices of apple/pear/orange/blueberries and throw them in.

A lot of the boxed cereals have huge amounts of sugar or salt and can bump up the insulin levels which brings on cravings midmorning. Satisfying these cravings then piles on the pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

got to be weetabix or oatabix for me very handy to control portion size as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Personally, i go for Porridge with milk heated in the Microwave but as you've stated, you're not into that.

Second best for me would be weetabix and a natural yoghurt. I would recommend getting some Linwoods milled seeds and berries mix (flax, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds & goji berries is my personal favourite) and adding it to weetabix - these provide essential omegas, vitamins and additional protein and fibre. I mix it in with my porridge and milk and then heat it in the Microwave.

Regarding the natural yoghurt, the one I eat and would recommend is the Glenisk organic one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses, it's really appreciated.

I'm off to the UK for the weekend but when I come back, I'll be chopping and changing brekkie and see what I like the most... great ideas, thanks so much.

BTW on the Weetabix, can't stand the smell to be honest but the Oatibix might be a good alternative and agreed re portion size issue too, very handy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

All Bran! Yes there is a bit of added sugar but it's something like 86% wheat bran and full of fibre so it's miles better than the likes of Special K. Usually I have a bowl of All Bran and one or two hardboiled eggs for breakfast- fills me up for hours and hours, usually not even hungry again by lunchtime! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shelga wrote: »
    All Bran! Yes there is a bit of added sugar but it's something like 86% wheat bran and full of fibre so it's miles better than the likes of Special K.
    http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/products/allbran/Cereal/all_bran.aspx
    Wheat Bran (86%), Sugar, Barley Malt Flavouring, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Salt, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.
    Those ingredients in bold are all different sugars.

17% overall sugar, probably 12-13% added sugars, weetabix has less, you can always buy oat or wheat bran separately and add to your usual cereals for a bran boost. Bran flakes are also mentioned a bit and they are well worse than all bran.
    *Honey* wrote: »
    I know porridge really is the favourite cereal on here but it's a no go for me I'm afraid - we both overdosed it on it about two years ago and just don't go near it nowadays.
    Try Porridge oatflake pancakes. You also get protein in with the egg. More info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002535

Interesting... sounds like a possible weekend treat maybe? Wonder how many calories etc in each?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

for the weekend, giant mushrooms grilled with tomato and the smallest bit of cheese, with scrambled eggs not to everyones taste but I very much like.

With cereal you are really only talking porridge, weetabix or muesli (no added sugar) but I would advise weighing muesli as it can be high calorie if you are not careful. Other cereals really should be thought of more as a snack or treat food, they are full of sugar and I dont know how they get away with advertising special K and the like as healthy, you are more hungery than if you never ate anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Shelga wrote: »
    All Bran! Yes there is a bit of added sugar but it's something like 86% wheat bran and full of fibre so it's miles better than the likes of Special K.

+1 for the All Bran. It really does fill you up and does take a while to eat it since there's a lot of chewing involved with all that fibre. I also find that I don't need to add any extra sugar to it to make it palatable unlike say Weetabix would. A note of warning though, I wouldn't eat it every morning else you'll be running to the loo 2 or 3 times a day.

I normally change between Alpen, Weetabix and All-Bran every couple of days and throw in a low fat yoghurt to get your day going.

Advertisement