Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog peeing with excitement

Options
  • 25-03-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Our five month old GSD loses bladder control every time a member of my wife's family calls to the house (it'll happen with other people visiting too I guess, its just the inlaws tend to be the most common). She's perfectly housetrained now apart from this.

I thought she'd grow out of it at a few months, but there's no sign of it improving. Tonight she let loose all over the floor and then slipped in it before I could get to her, so one side of her lovely coat was covered in pee.

Is there anything we can do to tackle this, or is it something she may just grow out of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

She will most likely grow out of it. She is still only a baby at 5 months. If she's still doing this at a year then I'd worry. Most dogs will grow out of it by then but a staffie cross that I petsit, does it whenever she is dropped off to me. She is just 2 now and her owner says she only does it once in a blue moon now. (I suppose I should be flattered!:D)
    Any pictures of your dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Do the in-laws make a big fuss of her when they arrive? You need to make their visit as calm as possible. Get them to call you when they are calling over & walk her before they arrive so she will be abit tired. Ask them to totally ignore her when they arrive and to only give her some attention shen she is nice and calm. Hopefully that might help abit

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

This happens more in bitches than dogs. Its something she should grow out of. Dont make a fuss of it when she does it, just clean it up - it doesnt reflect on her housetraining so dont punish her for it.

I agree with the post above saying try to not get her too wound up with visitors, try to keep her as calm as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

Yeah, the inlaws' behaviour towards the dog definitely doesn't help, and is already something of a bone of contention which we've spoken to them about. We're trying to train the dog not to jump on people, and for that of course you need people's cooperation when they visit, but the inlaws aren't too interested in listening to what we tell them, and then the dog jumps on them when they greet her with excited high pitched voices, and then they complain that we're not training her! Grrr! :mad: Anyway, we'll just have to stick at it and try and get the message across to them.

Oh, and I don't need to be asked twice when it comes to posting pictures of our baby :D

When we first got her at 8 weeks:
    Sky1.jpg

Probably around 12 weeks:
    040.jpg

Playing in the snow:
    IMG_0097.jpg

Snoozing on the couch last week:
    IMG_0114.jpg

A couple of beach pictures from this evening:
    IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg