Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler output

Options
  • 25-03-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi
    how many rads can a 16e boiler heat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

Impossible question to answer.
    Boilers are measured in BTU output and so are rads
    If i remember correctly a 16E Vokera puts out 50,000 BTU'ish (someome correct me if i am wrong).
    You will need a rad sizing chart (available from Quinn rads website) to find out the BTU's of each rad and then allow 15,000 for your cylinder hot water leaving 35,000 BTU for rads.
    Using this method you will see that a 16E can heat 35 - 500 x 500mm single panel rads or 3 - 500 x 2000mm double rads

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

bigdon wrote: »
    Hi

I presume by 16e that you have a Vokera Mynute 16e
    This has a maximum output of 16kw
    The number of rads depends on the size and ouputs of each individual rad, size and rating of your hot water cylinder but as an approximate calculation you could run 7 no. 1200 X 500 Double Panel convectors + hot water cylinder.... allowing 2000 watts (2Kw) per rad and 2000 watts for hot water, this does not make any allowance for heat losses on the pipe runs, boiler inefficiencies etc., etc!!
    I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bigdon

yes, just bought a vokera 16e,i was told to get 20e but there was only 16e left,supplier said it was fine for what i have ie... 9 rads in total 3x 1200 the rest are smaller,should be ok?
    Thanks

First of all if you are NOT a Registered Gas Installer or (until 26th June when it becomes a legal issue!) a "competent person" you should NOT be installing a gas boiler!
    Rant over!

1. A correctly sized boiler will save you money - Too small will have to work too hard - too big will not work hard enough and will "short cycle" using more fuel
    2. You should install a high efficiency condensing boiler as it will save you at least 20% on your fuel bill - minimum
    3. You can get a grant for installing an "A" rated boiler and controls - See www.sei.ie/hes for details

Some boilers being sold by suppliers to the uninformed - this includes some plumbers - are very inefficient - the Vokera Mynute 16e you have bought is 79.62% efficient - "D" Rated - (Taken from their own spec sheet!) - A gas boiler to the standards required for the SEI grant has to have a minimum efficiency of 90% "A" Rated! .... I am sure you can see a saving potential straight away!
    These suppliers are selling off these boilers cheaply as they are being "dumped" on Ireland by manufacturers who cannot sell them in the UK or Europe.
    Also, the current building regs require that any new or replacement boiler must meet a minimum efficiency of 86% with very strict criteria required to install anything outside these specifications.
    To answer your question about whether it will be sufficient for your needs..... possibly:confused:
    Sorry I can't be more specific but I would need to have more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 medic_1

Hi, a 16e will heat a standard 3 bed semi-d with no hassels. 9 rads and HW cylinder.
    if you think you will ever be adding on or coverting to your system go for a 20e.
    As minigolf rightly says, its not very efficient. The HE is the way to go as it will pay off in the long run.

• Advertisement

MiniGolf wrote: »
    First of all if you are NOT a Registered Gas Installer or (until 26th June when it becomes a legal issue!) a "competent person" you should NOT be installing a gas boiler!
    Rant over!

1. A correctly sized boiler will save you money - Too small will have to work too hard - too big will not work hard enough and will "short cycle" using more fuel
    2. You should install a high efficiency condensing boiler as it will save you at least 20% on your fuel bill - minimum
    3. You can get a grant for installing an "A" rated boiler and controls - See www.sei.ie/hes for details

Some boilers being sold by suppliers to the uninformed - this includes some plumbers - are very inefficient - the Vokera Mynute 16e you have bought is 79.62% efficient - "D" Rated - (Taken from their own spec sheet!) - A gas boiler to the standards required for the SEI grant has to have a minimum efficiency of 90% "A" Rated! .... I am sure you can see a saving potential straight away!
    These suppliers are selling off these boilers cheaply as they are being "dumped" on Ireland by manufacturers who cannot sell them in the UK or Europe.
    Also, the current building regs require that any new or replacement boiler must meet a minimum efficiency of 86% with very strict criteria required to install anything outside these specifications.
    To answer your question about whether it will be sufficient for your needs..... possibly:confused:
    Sorry I can't be more specific but I would need to have more details!
    Im getting a registered gas installer to fit the boiler even though im a very competent person and might i add that if the original registered gas installer had fitted my inital boiler correctly i would'nt be on this thread,(rant over).........but thanks for your help and advise.

Im getting a registered gas installer to fit the boiler even though im a very competent person and might i add that if the original registered gas installer had fitted my inital boiler correctly i would'nt be on this thread,(rant over).........but thanks for your help and advise.

You are welcome for the advice but if a Registered Gas Installer did a job you were not happy with you should contact the Register (currently Bord Gais run) and make your complaint official.... that is of course as I assume you are using a different installer because you could not get satisfaction from the original one!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

To get the benefit of the condensing boiler the return water temperature has to be low - I think around 55C, which means the overall system works at lower temperature, which in turn means the radiators have to be slightly larger to get the same heat transfer.

Basically - there's no point spending on a condensing boiler without considering the whole system design. A High efficiency boiler would do the OP, but I think it's too late now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Hi

I have the same boiler in a 4 bed detached house and it heats 13 rads no problem

You are welcome for the advice but if a Registered Gas Installer did a job you were not happy with you should contact the Register (currently Bord Gais run) and make your complaint official.... that is of course as I assume you are using a different installer because you could not get satisfaction from the original one!!:confused:
    Bord gais came to service my boiler and found the whole back casing rusted away and a gapping hole,all from a pin hole leak in a soldiered joint they say was there from day one.They shut off the boiler.

• Advertisement
Advertisement