Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra's added onto my Ins. Quote before being signed off

Options
  • 25-03-2009 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just wondered if many people have had this happen to them.
    Rang up and got a car insurance quote from FBD.
    I agreed to it and told them all my details just asking for the bare 3rd party fire and theft cover.
    The price was given to me and then they took my credit card details.
    So with the agreed price of €428 given I authorized them to take it off the CC.
    About 5 minutes later they rang me back to say they had made a mistake with the quote and that it actually cost more, so the amended premium cost would be €460 which I also agreed to as it was still way down on my previous provider.
    When the paperwork came in the letterbox for me to sign. The documentation had an Extra cost of €32 as Breakdown Assist Cover which I had not asked for, or even remember it being mentioned in the phone conversation.
    So the initial premium given to me was what I asked for, then they tried to make more money by adding on the extra.
    I rang them up and the response from the guy who answered was to take it off of next year's premium.
    Checked my CC and the full 460 was taken out already.
    I have since followed it up with them and they will be issuing a cheque for the 32.

Just thought the lack of communication from them about this extra addon was very underhand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could report the issue to the Insurance Federation of Ireland, and see what they say. Since it's been resolved, they may not do much, but they should at least tell FBD that this kind of "scam" is not on, especially the part about discounting it off of next years premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

jor el wrote: »
    You could report the issue to the Insurance Federation of Ireland, and see what they say. Since it's been resolved, they may not do much, but they should at least tell FBD that this kind of "scam" is not on, especially the part about discounting it off of next years premium.
    I'm not sure if the guy was just starting out in the job and didn't know the ropes, he did sound young.
    Will look into reporting it, just so they do it right and inform people.

Advertisement