Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerboat level 2

• 25-03-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi guys

i'm looking to buy a boat - something for fishing etc nothing too fancy.

i've always been interested in the sea, boats etc and the boat would be a realisation of a long time dream. want to get some training before taking the plunge (no pun intended!) and the national powerboat certificate seems to be the way to go.

prices seem to vary by over e100 for the same course in a few places in dublin - anyone any first hand knowledge on who's the best?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can't speak for Dublin, sorry

head on over to www.powerboat.ie/forums and you'll get a comprehensive list (Just ask in 'The Club House')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

6105 wrote: »
    hi guys

i'm looking to buy a boat - something for fishing etc nothing too fancy.

i've always been interested in the sea, boats etc and the boat would be a realisation of a long time dream. want to get some training before taking the plunge (no pun intended!) and the national powerboat certificate seems to be the way to go.

prices seem to vary by over e100 for the same course in a few places in dublin - anyone any first hand knowledge on who's the best?

thanks!
    From my experience www.powerboatschool.ie tend to be the best.
    They are considered (by many of the instructor trainers) to be the best place in the country to learn to powerboat.
    They have some great facilities and brilliant instructors.
    You should be able to get a course at a time that suits you too. They tend to have many course available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Either power boat school in Dun Laoghaire or DMG in Malahide are generally regarded as the best in Dublin. Trouble is, you learn in a RIB, but this isn't necessarily what you'll be using later on. But besides that, well worth the time and money.

if you have your own boat at the time, most places will teach you in that, or even teach you in both their RIBs and in your boat so you get experinece in everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 6105

that's great guys. some real food for thought. i've checked out quite a few from the sailing.ie site. city powerboat school seems to be up and coming and new. the insc are doing the course at E199 while powerboat school are over E300. is it really the same course each is offering?

• Advertisement

It is the same course. Its the quality of the course thats the difference really. Im wont get in to it here cause I dont want to bad mouth the companies but send me a PM if you want more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

We use DMG (Dave Garvey) and get a very good rate for 6 at a time. I find the course very good and professional.
    I also know Alistair Rumball of the INSC and he is also very professional.
    Jim.

Advertisement