Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy this or try and build my own

Options
  • 25-03-2009 11:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here is the spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (4MB L2 Cache)
    Patriot 2GB PC6400 (800MHz)
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
    19'' Cibox C1905 Widescreen TFT 5ms
    X7 1000DPI Gaming Mouse
    Zboard Merc Keyboard
    The PSU is generic.
    motherboard is an nVidia chipset, the nForce 650i Ultra.
    The HDD is a SATA2 (3.0Gbps) with 7,200RPM. 320GB.

350 Euro

Should I buy this second hand or how much better or worse of a computer would I get for a similar price if I just tried to build one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Add another 2Gb of ram and thats a fine pc, for that price new you'd not get anything that nice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep, the choice is get more ram or build a computer, there are 3 more slots for ram and it's quite cheap. I use my comp for games based on teh HL2 engine/poker/etc so it should be grand. Thanks for the reply. Knowing me, if I went to build one I would just not constrain myself price wise so that would not be best. Maybe if I got it I could swap sometbody that mouse for more RAM. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not bad at all including the monitor. At that resolution, any Source game would run at maximum settings with AA/AF piled on with the 8800GTS. Another 2gb of ram wouldn't hurt either.

The one thing I would definitely do is check out exactly what that 'generic PSU' is. Might need replacing for peace of mind.

To build a somewhat better machine would cost about 500-530 including monitor, so 350 is a good price for that lot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Add another 2Gb of ram and thats a fine pc, for that price new you'd not get anything that nice

+1. Even though the CPU and graphics card are one-and-a-half generations behind the current standard they're more than enough for most things and getting all that with a good keyboard and a 19" LCD for that price is blisteringly good value :)

EDIT: Terror gazzumped me! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not bad at all including the monitor. At that resolution, any Source game would run at maximum settings with AA/AF piled on with the 8800GTS. Another 2gb of ram wouldn't hurt either.

The one thing I would definitely do is check out exactly what that 'generic PSU' is. Might need replacing for peace of mind.
    Cheers, I think I'll get it and get the extra RAM, I don't know what the PSU is but I used computers with this spec(wired gaming in galway) for months and they were good stuff. Would need to replace it if upgrading the computer all right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Just post back with the PSU's brand and current ratings and we'll tell you how much of a dud it is ;)

Yeah cool cheers, I look forward to getting this stuff and tinkering, I've never upgraded pcs etc as I have only ever owned laptops. :)

It is a 450 PSU, but he recommends 500+ if I replace. If there are any troubles with the parts for 30 days after the sale the part will be replaced. :)

Are all PSUs compatible with any system, think I have 1 or 2 from copmuters around the house that I must check the specs of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is a 450 PSU, but he recommends 500+ if I replace. If there are any troubles with the parts for 30 days after the sale the part will be replaced. :)

Are all PSUs compatible with any system, think I have 1 or 2 from copmuters around the house that I must check the specs of.

It depends. If the power supplies are relatively new then they would work fine. A decent 450w would power that pc with no problems. Do you know what brand it is?

No, he didn't mention brand, it's 1 year old. I was using those computers for that time, so they will most likely be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement