Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any tips on PP would be grateful

• 25-03-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Mind I have DPP, Gimp or Lightroom available. #1 no processing and #2 my best effort. What you guys think?

3386239982_7e3383898a_b.jpg

3385401937_d0d914f361_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I think it's good the way you've done it. There's bags of colour, nice contrast + tonal range is good. An improvement might be trying to claim back some detail in the clouds.

I think it's the type of shot that 20 people would process it 20 different ways. Personally I think it's calling is for a well thought out BnW conversion.

In the end it's your shot, and you're the one with the vision to process it the way you think it should look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd like it desaturated with a dark vignette

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Not sure how you would like it to look, but not a bad effort.
    2 things to watch out for are that the total blow out of the sky leaves it looking a bit empty. and on a shot like this I'd recommend bringing down the saturation of the shot, not bumping it up, and playing around with the colour balance.
    I've included a version i spent a minute or two on in Lightroom only. (really hope you don't mind)
    (but bear in mind i use Lightroom on a daily basis, so experience means i know where i'm going,and what i like, so don't fret)
    If you want to know how i got this in Lightroom, settings wise, i'd be glad to go through it.....just not right now, i'm gonna go to bed!
    It's not in any way a finished job, or at all perfect,i'd have alot of problems with it, but it might give you a better idea of what you could do.
    Just keep on playing around with it.
    3386309152_c4d6366a04_o.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

overall bit of sharpening would be nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

Love the composition of this but just not mad about the sky, Looks a bit bland to me.

+1 for Stopwatch's version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Thanks all and yea +2 on stopwatches version I really like it. Here is another 2 attempts but I reckon the Vignette is a bit over done.

3386498343_0f3719fdb6_b.jpg

3386507393_9226382dc9_b.jpg

overall bit of sharpening would be nice too

Sorry I forgot about sharpening how does it look now

3387335016_41e78aae9e_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Good effort.
    The main thing is to get underexpose the sky which is blown out. the desaturated colours are good, or else go for B&W. Up the contrast a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

StopWatch wrote: »
    Not sure how you would like it to look, but not a bad effort.
    2 things to watch out for are that the total blow out of the sky leaves it looking a bit empty. and on a shot like this I'd recommend bringing down the saturation of the shot, not bumping it up, and playing around with the colour balance.
    I've included a version i spent a minute or two on in Lightroom only. (really hope you don't mind)
    (but bear in mind i use Lightroom on a daily basis, so experience means i know where i'm going,and what i like, so don't fret)

Love that post-processing! I can't imagine where to even start to learn how to get a look like that! :-( Anyone recommend a good article?

Tried the B&W but couldn't make it look right, will give it ago again tonight.
    Thanks for the help though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Simon I love the last one, I really love a bit of desaturation as it gives a nice classical aged effect without going to the extremes of sepia or lack and white. Well done, postcard shot.

Cheers for that :)

Advertisement