Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Tripod?

• 25-03-2009 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I'm currently the happy owner of a Nikon D90.

I'm looking for a decent heavy-duty tripod. Popped into Jessops in Newry and was quoted 90 quid for what seemed like a fairly good sturdy model, but they only had that one demo-unit and I wasn't paying catalogue price for it.

Tried a couple of 'well-known' camera shops along the Camden Street/Dame Street strip and was being quoted €170 alone for the tripod without a mount!

Any suggestions would be gladly welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

What was the model you were looking at? Alot of people including myself have a Manfrotto I think someone has a Giotto I have the Manfrotto Prob190x & mount you're probably better off checking them out in store to see if you like the weight and feel and then buying online or going back to Newry if they're cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Slik tripods are very good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I picked up a Slik 340 tripod in Sam McCauleys for €149. Came with a joystick head, reversible centre column,ability to splay legs and the joystick head gives great control. Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Benbo 2 or Uni-Loc. There is a nice looking Unilock 1700 on eBay at the moment. Uk selleers usually will ship to Ireland if you ask them before the auction ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

emul wrote: »
    I picked up a Slik 340 tripod in Sam McCauleys for €149. Came with a joystick head, reversible centre column,ability to splay legs and the joystick head gives great control. Worth a look.

Picked up a slik 400 (similair to above) for €99 in the Dublin Camera Exchange about two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i picked up a benbo trekker on adverts.ie for 60 sheets a while back. a quality piece of kit for the money. keep an eye on there as tripods pop up there from time to time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've the same as yourself cabaal except with the 804 head.

such a nice tripod i have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I have the same Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod but 460MG head. Bought them from Gunns, they have many choice you can look at. I agree it's a nice tripod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the 190XPROB and 804RC2 head but I only bought that head because it was bundled with the tripod, I find the 486RC2 much easier to use for general purposes photography. While the 804RC2 is without a doubt the right choice for panning, it's a bit awkward to setup with the three handles.

Best all rounder is the 322RC2 joystick, I had it in my hands in Gunn's but it was a bit outside my budget, definitely on my Santa wish list for later this year though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement