Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick line stats question

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Sorry I know these threads always pop up but after years of waiting i final have got broadband today :D

Anyways my line was showing up amber on the bt database and they said 1MB is the only option or you might be able to get it at all. Well i got it now and they said to ring up and they will check my line stats and see if i can get any better speeds. Thought i would try here first before i get put through to a call center in India.

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:05:05:41
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1024 Kbps 128 Kbps
    Noise Margin 17.9 dB 23.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 20.0 dB 10.0 dB
    Output Power -0.3 dBm 14.5 dBm

From the BT standard router.

Any ideas whats the max speed i could get with these stats and also if i was to have a new line installed would it have any effect.

Thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

strongr wrote: »
    Sorry I know these threads always pop up but after years of waiting i final have got broadband today :D

Anyways my line was showing up amber on the bt database and they said 1MB is the only option or you might be able to get it at all. Well i got it now and they said to ring up and they will check my line stats and see if i can get any better speeds. Thought i would try here first before i get put through to a call center in India.

From the BT standard router.

Any ideas whats the max speed i could get with these stats and also if i was to have a new line installed would it have any effect.

Thanks !

Assuming the 20dB is the down, then about 20 megs or so. This assumes this is supported by your exchange, which isn't guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

heres the full stats from the router.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

heres the full stats from the router.

Then it's as I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Spear wrote: »
    Assuming the 20dB is the down, then about 20 megs or so. This assumes this is supported by your exchange, which isn't guaranteed.
    Yup, c. 20MB or so on ADSL2+ and 7.6MB on Bitstream no problem.

Been onto them today they are saying im lucky to be getting 1mb because the line is so bad. Where do i go from here?

• Advertisement

Been onto them today they are saying im lucky to be getting 1mb because the line is so bad. Where do i go from here?

Ask them what stats they're seeing, or how long they believe the line to be. Quote them your stats.

Call them again, that's incorrect. Say your Attenuation is 20dB and you should be able to get at least 6MB.

Will do, at been onto them about 4 or 5 times today about trying to get my interleaving turned low but still no joy. Will try the speed now.

Will do, at been onto them about 4 or 5 times today about trying to get my interleaving turned low but still no joy. Will try the speed now.
    Your a Bitstream customer, you can't turn off the interleaving - at most, you may be able to lower it but not turn if off (that's Eircoms call).

Ok im utterly pissed off with BT at the moment, my pings are huge(150-400) and the tech support have said they cant do anything about it. So with 2 days of BT can i cancel it now? I should have a cooling-off period of 7 days. I have signed the contract weeks ago but the line only went active and the router only came 2 days ago. I think im better off on my 2mb Wireless provider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement