Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to turn off UPC moden/router after use each day

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

is it ok to turn off Modem and wirless router that UPC installed after I got broadband, I only use it every couple off days and for maybe and hour or two a day so trying to be green etc. Will this mess up the modem (IP addresses etc) or router or is it ok.There is no switch on either so I just unplug. Let me know if ok. --other thing is that when off no-one can see wirless signal too.
    Does anyone else do this.
    thanks for your time and replys for yes or no.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

dimma02 wrote: »
    is it ok to turn off Modem and wirless router that UPC installed after I got broadband, I only use it every couple off days and for maybe and hour or two a day so trying to be green etc. Will this mess up the modem (IP addresses etc) or router or is it ok.There is no switch on either so I just unplug. Let me know if ok. --other thing is that when off no-one can see wirless signal too.
    Does anyone else do this.
    thanks for your time and replys for yes or no.

No problem the only thing that may happen is get ready shock horror.

If you have your modem plugged out for some time you tend to get a new IP address when you power it back up.

I had the same IP number for a long time and I got a new computer a few weeks ago and I plugged out the modem for about two days until I got a chance to set up the new computer.

The modem powered back up with a new IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dimma02

Does a new IP address mean any differance, I don't know where to find that.
    I have left it off for up to a week, My laptop always connects when i power it up, is the IP address to do with the modem, please explain as I am dumb.My only fear was that my PC would not connect if the modem was off for a while.
    Cheers.

Does a new IP address mean any differance, I don't know where to find that.
    I have left it off for up to a week, My laptop always connects when i power it up, is the IP address to do with the modem, please explain as I am dumb.My only fear was that my PC would not connect if the modem was off for a while.
    Cheers.

None when you post on some boards your IP address is displayed.

Some people like to keep the same IP address God knows why.

The IP address is the number your modem is given by NTL it could change everyday and you would not notice.

Go to this site and your IP address will be displayed bottom left.

http://www.speedtest.net/

[Cheers so I will continue to turn off after use, just wished they had a on/off switch on them, that was why I was wondering if ok to turn off in first place. much appreciated.

• Advertisement

[Cheers so I will continue to turn off after use, just wished they had a on/off switch on them, that was why I was wondering if ok to turn off in first place. much appreciated.

Must be a matter of cost a switch would bring up the price.:D

You must not use the computer that much?

Nope, in work here and guess what..on the internet!!! I get bored with it at home after 10 minutes, find I look at same stuff (cars and forums) then turn it off and watch TV whatever..so I dont want a modem and router on 24/7 using electricty etc when times are a bit harder now and Im not surfing..Sure most people do this or they should if not using the internet, amount of people who leave TV on standby when in bed or at work....and then complain of energy costs...rather spend it on petrol for my turbo petrol eater....:)

Nope, in work here and guess what..on the internet!!! I get bored with it at home after 10 minutes, find I look at same stuff (cars and forums) then turn it off and watch TV whatever..so I dont want a modem and router on 24/7 using electricty etc when times are a bit harder now and Im not surfing..Sure most people do this or they should if not using the internet, amount of people who leave TV on standby when in bed or at work....and then complain of energy costs...rather spend it on petrol for my turbo petrol eater....:)

They say broadband is always on so putting an off switch on the modem would not convey this message.:D

Anyway I have the phone service from UPC now and I must keep my modem plugged in if I want the phone to stay on.

Advertisement