Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subscription Question.

• 26-03-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can help me out here.

My young lad got his first Xbox for Christmas which came with a 3 month trial subscription to Xbox Live, this has now expired so I got him a 12+1 Gold Card.

He wants to create a new user name/Tag/account (I'm not sure what you call it). He doesn't want to renew the existing one, he wants to start from scratch.

The new 13 month subscription says it can be used to update or create new.

Can anyone give me the steps I need to follow on the Xbox to go about creating his new name & entering the new code? (without updating the existing one)?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Simply turn on the xbox and instead of signing into the current one (or sign out if it signs in automatically) click sign in and it should display the list of gamertags (usernames) and there should be a option to create a new one.Simply follow the instructions.

Once created and your signed in hit the xbox button when on the dashboard (main menu screen) and scroll left to "Xbox live" or "Xbox live market place" i think it is and there should be option to "Redeem Code" and simply enter the subscription code.
    Hope this helps

**EDIT** Or if its more convenient you can do it on your pc on the Xbox website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks Soby,

So, can he delete the original one (old expired one) just to eliminate any future confusion or does he just ignore it & continue with signing into the new one?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ye im pritty sure you can delete the old one, i cant confirm myself as ive lent my controllers away (maybe someone else can confirm).But check when on the "Sign in" screen at the bottom there should be a legend and possibably a delete gamertag (username) option

**EDIT** Just did a quick google there..This is how you delete the username

On the Xbox 360 go to System > Memory > Hard Drive (or memory unit.. whichever you have) > Gamer Profiles

Select the Gamer Profile you want to delete and then select Delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Excellent Soby, appreciate the help ;)

-

Just in case you are unaware, when he creates his new gamertag, it will give you an option of either a gold a/c or a silver a/c. The difference being that only the gold one can play online etc.

If he chooses the gold option, it'll ask him for credit card details or for a code (i.e. the one on the 12+1 card you bought) but if he chooses the silver option it'll say that he qualifies for a free 1 month trial.

Each xbox can do this a max of 3 times as far as i know, as long as you create a new and different gamertag each time.

Might wanna do that first then enter the code when the 1 month has expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Just make sure your kid knows that he'll loose access to all his saved games too. So any progress he's made will be lost. Starting a new GamerTag really does mean he has to start from scratch and write off the last three months.

There is another way round this, if you can justify the cash. He could upgrade his existing GamerTag with the 13 month subscription and then simply change his GamerTag to whatever new name that he wants. I believe Microsoft do charge something like 800 points (about €10), for this name change but that's a small price compared to three months gaming if you worked out how many hours he's invested into it already.

I'm not saying this is what you should do but it's best to have the knowledge in order to make an informed decision, if you get my drift.

Advertisement