Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (UK) - Week 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I found it to be a very lame start and also pretty manipulated.

There is no way you can approach a business, arrange a meeting and have a contract sealed within an hour for a job that day....looked entirely set up to me!

Also, how come when TV3's Apprentice was on there was lots of posts on tearing it to shreds literally minute by minute as the show was broadcast, and this show with a pretty lame challenge, and so far not very impressive participants seems to get only positive comments?

Is it a mix of Irish begrudgery and West Britism?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No its because the irish apprentice is a poor imitation of this one Bill Cullen is no Alan Sugar!

It was ok tonight we know what to expect, I wonder will we see much of the Blonde Kate and Newcastle man Phillip flirting with each other?? Brings an added interest to th show. Surprised with the guy dropping out they don't have a backup, I know you have to give up your job, but they could have had someone unemployed jump in at the last minute.

Well looking forward to the next 12 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

murpho999 wrote: »

There is no way you can approach a business, arrange a meeting and have a contract sealed within an hour for a job that day....looked entirely set up to me!

Also, how come when TV3's Apprentice was on there was lots of posts on tearing it to shreds literally minute by minute as the show was broadcast, and this show with a pretty lame challenge, and so far not very impressive participants seems to get only positive comments?

Is it a mix of Irish begrudgery and West Britism?

It's because there were all those ad breaks when attention could be turned from TV to keyboard. And I don't think there were that many post tearing it to shreds really. As I recall, most people were positive about it, as a TV3 production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

That one Debra (yer one who was brought into the boardroom with Anita) is some wagon. Even the look on her face is annoying, especially with her constant smirking and laughing. Can't see her lasting, as I can see she already annoys Nick, and it won't be long before Sugar also takes a dislike to her.

Wasn't surprised to see Anita go, she didn't defend herself well at all and she has a face like a burst ballon to be honest. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

However it was a bit harsh to put the expenses blame solely on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's because there were all those ad breaks when attention could be turned from TV to keyboard.

Very good point. If you want to share your witty observations with other boardsies, you'll end up missing half the show.

Seems like an interesting enough group. The American one comes across as annoying, as does the trainee stockbroker from the North. That Newcastle lad comes across as an arrogant, agressive pr1ck - I'd hate to be PMing him! Howard seems like a sound bloke though.

Debra acted like a 12-year-old with her b1tchy hair flicking - she's brazen out! Mona was worse though - no strategy or planning, and then not even a decent excuse or fight at the end. It was like a 5-year-old trying to explain to her mother that the vase "fell" when she clearly pushed it off the table.

Good to see that Surallun is getting rid of the munters first. Next up should be yer wan with the glasses :eek: He should keep Kate though, to keep the male viewership interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

As I recall, most people were positive about it, as a TV3 production.

A TV3/Irish Production hence the tearing to shreads. You cann't make a show in Ireland anymore without someone complaining about :rolleyes:

With me stating it is just a very ordinary show any every post :rolleyes: I don't know why I bother.

How?The guy new what the show is about and what he was getting into , then at the last minute he bails because he says he couldnt be away from his family. But its so late on that no one else gets a chance to step in so hes not alone decided to drop out hes stopped someone else who really wanted to be on it from having a place...deserves any abuse he got.

Yeah but we don't know what his family situation was and he wasn't on the You're Fired show to answer the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I thought it was brilliant, the sight of 7 lads cleaning one car had me LMAO, especially the guy trying to wash the car with the doors open and the other guys inside cleaning! I mean how difficult would it have been to have a production line going, with one guy hoovering, one doing windows, one polishing and then leave the wash to last. Not exactly rocket science.

My one fault would be, that there was too much time spent in the boardroom and not enough on the actual task. Half the show was in the boardroom and I thought that got a bit monotonous.

Still mandatory viewing though, looks like there are some good characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

jeez the recession must really be having an effect over there when the like of heather mills has to join the apprentice just to scrape by. She hasnt a leg to stand on imo. mwa ha ha

Slow start to the series but thats to be expected. Like prev series it will be week 3-4 before we start getting a feel for the candidates. Right choice made last nite though. Did someone sneakingly swap her top and bottom lips around when she was asleep?? Must wash my car today...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The yank won't last long. Piss off Nick and your a gonner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Bond-007 wrote: »

Yep, when I heard her first sentence I turned to my g/f and said "she won't last".
    American business values/methods just won't go down well within the group, you could see the other girls reactions to her overly enthusiastic line delivery and ridiculous team name, SHAZAM!!!!! *fail*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I think Alan fired her because she was a mad bowler looking thing and he didn't fancy looking at her for more weeks than necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think Alan fired her because she was a mad bowler looking thing and he didn't fancy looking at her for more weeks than necessary.

True and she was a lawyer and he can't stand lawyers. Nearly always gets rid of them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Looking at it from a strictly business point of view................................................................. How cool is ya man's beard?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

murpho999 wrote: »

I thought the same, the "contracts" were far too contrived for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 siobhan mc

I missed it last night does anyone know if there's a repeat of last night's episode?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

siobhan mc wrote: »
    I missed it last night does anyone know if there's a repeat of last night's episode?
    thanks

It's repeated tonight on BBC2 at midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

The funniest thing last night was your man from the car dealership poking his head out the door and seeing the seven lads washing the car! ha

I thought he was going to chase them away from his yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

And the girls giving up on trying to operate the 'Power Hose'.

Where does this hose go then ..............

Hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 siobhan mc

It's repeated tonight on BBC2 at midnight.

:eek::eek:
    midnight?!
    what a weird time to be repeating it.
    thanks c_c - cant watch it then - thats way too late for me - Im asleep by then to be up at 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Set your Video/DVD thingy to record it maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

SurAlun's first couple of gags were pretty lame.
    True and the to play the bongos well is a tough skill I hear!
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    I lol'ed ^

Debra's a bull. She's pissed all three off but she's a fighter.

Mona the Milf has gotta stay, if only to keep the male viewers for at least one more episode!

Last night was pish poor tbh. It will get better though as the characters evolve and we can study them more carefully. A lot kept quiet last night. They've watched the show before. Some are playing a game it's clear.
    Bring on next week.

Well its good to have an irish girl in it again Lorraine Tighe, although I don't see her lasting long, although she left school early and made a decent career for herself

http://biogs.com/apprentice/lorraine.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think this is the first "first episode" I've actually seen since it started. It was good but it always takes a while to get going, you need to be fairly familiar with each contestant first.

As for the task, why didn't someone just take a bucket and sponge and walk down any High Street and offer to clean their windows? Even if the shops have someone that does it for them they'd have easily given £5 a pop to clean a window. Couple of hundred right there.

frag420 wrote: »
    jeez the recession must really be having an effect over there when the like of heather mills has to join the apprentice just to scrape by. She hasnt a leg to stand on imo. mwa ha ha
    Ya what now? Heather Mills?
    Was that just a lame :pac: attempt to shoe :pac: in a Heather Mills joke? She wasn't on the show.

The "You're Fired" Show really makes the Apprentice on the BBC, and the guy that was on it this week was really funny.

Oh and yer wan Mona was a "former Tanzanian beauty-queen" hmmmm
    Bit of a looker alright but thought she was older than 28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Genghis

Well its good to have an irish girl in it again Lorraine Tighe, although I don't see her lasting long, although she left school early and made a decent career for herself

http://biogs.com/apprentice/lorraine.html

Not the only Irish candidate either ...

http://biogs.com/apprentice/clarke.html

Also, never realised that Margaret is Irish and that Nick also has a significant Irish connection ...

http://biogs.com/apprentice/hewer.html
    http://biogs.com/apprentice/mountford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The "You're Fired" Show really makes the Apprentice on the BBC, and the guy that was on it this week was really funny.

+1

yeah your man on Your fired was Rufus Hound, he was pretty funny alright
    http://www.vivienneclore.com/articles/Rufus_724818_80.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Decent first episode. I would have fired Debra though - she's a pure snake. Reminds me a lot of Jennifer Maguire. Mona seems ok, was probably just a bit nervous.
    Kate seems to be a bit up herself. The other women didn't make much of an impression.

As for the guys, Howard seemed decent enough. Ben and Noorul are annoying me already, hopefully they won't last long. Majid seems to be a bit of a joker - he might provide some light relief before serious Sir Alan gets fed up with him! :pac:

Didn't realise Lorraine (aka Alan Carr's long lost twin sister) was Irish. Good luck to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Is the show repeated anywhere over the weekend?

• Advertisement

Your too late for that.

They repeat the show once on Thursday night around midnight.

Sorry about that.

Advertisement