Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A FEW BRIGDES TOO FAR, Hrta Milsim Game easter monday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Theres the existing map with a grid on it.

Very basic stuff, lots of the latest buildings missing.

edit: didn't see above post.

This is just a rough draft, if there isn't going to be an updated map, I could make this one correlate to the above map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Both those maps are not going to be much help.

Firstly the AIM map is quite off.
    Secondly they're missing around half the buildings.

Although the grid on your map Sam is quite good.

Without the new buidings, thats as good as I can do, without a new survey, or even a mspaint sketch!

I've the google map of the site, so its to scale, its just still a field back then though, so its useless bar getting the lane correct.

I'll compile any info people can provide and overlay the grid, and anything else, but I can't do more than I have without more info.

My grids are 5mX5m, conor, are yours 10X10?

I have two non to scale maps in front of me.
    Has all the buildings and relevant positions.

Only if we could combine your scale, and my plan.

Oh well, lets just hope we're on the same team.

If you can e-mail me the info, I can scale it, add a grid and make it work quite handily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I'm working on a map of HRTA which will be accurate to less than 1/4 of a metre, but it would be SOOOOO much easier with an aerial photo. And possibly a Theodolite. It's going to be a while yet. Andy, get the ;$%& finger out, will you?

Anyone got a RC model airplane that can carry a camera? (About 145g) Or a microlite, and fancies a spin for petrol money?

In the meantime, I've taken the Google photo* and printed a couple of copies of it on graph paper. If you can estimate where the buildings are it might be useful on Monday.

Sam's map is very good, but incomplete, as he said.

* FYI, the photo on Google is a GeoEye image taken from IKONOS-2 on 12-Jun-2006. The image on Terraserver is even older, 10-Jul-2004. I can't find a more recent satellite image online, and they're 1500 to 2000 USD to buy anyway.

Sod O Swords said he would pm me some images of his maps, so I'll over lay them in CAD and get a usable map from them hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Hi guys,
    Went down to HRTA earlier with my pencil and some graph paper and got up on the sniper tower to try get an overview on the site. I had brought the Take Aim map with me and was intending to use it as a starting point and just add the new buildings and bridges - but it was only when I got up on the tower and checked things off that I realised that it needed a lot more work. Although the map is not to scale anyway, the buildings are sized in a crazy way in proportion to the site.
    With Andy_g's help I sketched a rough approximation of the buildings & bridges positions on the site. I think it's the bridges & buildings that are important as that is all we need when calling airstrikes. For that reason I omitted the barrells, vehicles, and random pallets, etc (except the bus of course!) as we are hardly likely to airstrike those. I just need to tidy it up a bit but I can scan it and PM it over to you Sam if you think you might be able to do something artistic with it!

Conor / Sam,
    See attached the plan I drew up today. I have colour coded the kill houses / cabins / bridges to make it easier to read. Do you think you could overlay one of those snazzy grids over it? Or even better if you could re-draw it if you had a suitable programme - and of course if you have the time! This map (although hand-drawn) might be more useable than the Take Aim one if it's gridded - what do you think?
    By the way, the black triangle in the laneway on the LHS is the Hawks Base and the box with the 'X' beside the bus is the sniper tower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Dont forget you need 2 maps, one for your team, and one for the marshal to call the in the airstrike, and a good scale for pinpointing the hits.

• Advertisement

Conor / Sam,
    See attached the plan I drew up today. I have colour coded the kill houses / cabins / bridges to make it easier to read. Do you think you could overlay one of those snazzy grids over it? Or even better if you could re-draw it if you had a suitable programme - and of course if you have the time! This map (although hand-drawn) might be more useable than the Take Aim one if it's gridded - what do you think?
    By the way, the black triangle in the laneway on the LHS is the Hawks Base and the box with the 'X' beside the bus is the sniper tower!

RT,Great job on the map.

So that's who that was in the tower.

I have to find my fecking camera before i can send them to sam though...

I filled in as much cover as i could too, pallets and such.

Mind you myself and PK spent all day gathering up the pallets and tiding up the place.

So i think i may of already made a flaw in my map....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

hi does any body know if there is a thread set up for car pooling to this event?? :confused::D :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

thermo wrote: »
    hi does any body know if there is a thread set up for car pooling to this event?? :confused::D :cool:

No I'd suggest just asking here.

Conor / Sam,

Yep, I'll overlay a grid on that, will be up later, as I have to walk to campus to get wireless access!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Can all those attending please make sure they have signed up here
    http://events.irishairsoft.ie/?q=node/11

This will help greatly in judging how many burgers Mel needs to bring.
    Cheers.

Disclaimer: A lot of guesstimation went into getting this done and fitting the buildings onto the actual site topography.

If you want to improve the map feel free.

The lane etc. are based on the tree line, so that line is the line of trees visible from above, building and bridge positions are estimated from the modified take aim map.

Best I can do bar visiting the site with pen and paper.

Ah sh1t the jpg is a bit big, can someone resize it for a4? I have to go now so can't myself. The pdf is a4 though, so just print that.

Disclaimer: A lot of guesstimation went into getting this done and fitting the buildings onto the actual site topography.

If you want to improve the map feel free.

The lane etc. are based on the tree line, so that line is the line of trees visible from above, building and bridge positions are estimated from the modified take aim map.

Best I can do bar visiting the site with pen and paper.

A thing of great beauty -well done & thanks Sam!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Yea nice one, I printed one out but the grey grid lines didnt come out too good for me :(

• Advertisement

Try the pdf maybe? I'm on the mobile writing this, so cant re upload. If ye print it you could go over the lines with a pencil, sorry bout that. My printer died, could you do me a copy? Thanks.

Try the pdf maybe? I'm on the mobile writing this, so cant re upload. If ye print it you could go over the lines with a pencil, sorry bout that. My printer died, could you do me a copy? Thanks.

I took the liberty of colouring in the cabins in blue as it was very hard to figure out what was a kill house and what was a cabin (file attached). I have printed out a bunch of them and have laminated a few in case it's raining and I'll bring them along tomorrow for anyone that wants them.

Well I can no longer bring the gun I was planning on bringing. So by any chance can I borrow 5 Stanag (M4/M16) mid-caps off some one? You will have my greatest thanks. (And yes I realize this is very last minute).

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    Well I can no longer bring the gun I was planning on bringing. So by any chance can I borrow 5 Stanag (M4/M16) mid-caps off some one? You will have my greatest thanks. (And yes I realize this is very last minute).

I only have 10 mid caps ("full battle load out":pac:) but if you're stuck you can take 2 of mine and I'll just bring a speed loader with me to make up the difference.

Dread-Lock wrote: »

I might have 3 mags, if thats any good.

I took the liberty of colouring in the cabins in blue as it was very hard to figure out what was a kill house and what was a cabin (file attached). I have printed out a bunch of them and have laminated a few in case it's raining and I'll bring them along tomorrow for anyone that wants them.

Just one small point, that map has 7 brigdes, there is only 6 ;)
    And sorry, i put 2 more cabins out on the field today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

gonna be a bailer.

hrta wrote: »
    Just one small point, that map has 7 brigdes, there is only 6 ;)
    And sorry, i put 2 more cabins out on the field today as well.

There are 6 'covered bridges' and one 'wooden crossing' - that makes 7!!:p
    And damn you for putting out more cabins and messing up my map - you might have mentioned that yesterday while I was slaving away over a hot pencil & graph paper!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

I'll have two extra m4 mids if anyone needs them

• Advertisement

Wow thanks for the fast response.
    I only have 10 mid caps ("full battle load out":pac:) but if you're stuck you can take 2 of mine and I'll just bring a speed loader with me to make up the difference.

Thank you very much for your offer, but I couldn't take any mags off you if you need them.
    hrta wrote: »
    I might have 3 mags, if thats any good.

That would be wonderful, only if they're spare. Would I be able to carry the rest in a speedloader? (5+3+speedloader with two mags worth)...

Edit:
    seamus-2k7 wrote: »
    I'll have two extra m4 mids if anyone needs them

If they're to spare I definitely won't say no.

Advertisement