Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearest fruitpicking regions to Sydney

Options
  • 26-03-2009 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

First off, at least in the north are fruitpicking jobs still widely available? Id imagine that regardless of the world economic situation, people need food, and that food will always need people to pick/ pack it. Is there any trouble getting FP work in the likes of Qld and N Terrotories? What is the average pay rate?

Additionally though, and what my question refers to, exactly how far away is the nearest fruit growing areas from central Sydney? Prior to this week I had only ever went to the Blue Mountains, and the burbs seemed to extend for a good 90 mins on the train. However this week I had a labouring gig on in the southern suburbs, and it looked like I was pretty much near a rural area only a 40 minute bus trip from the city. Can anyone tell me of any good spots to get work in this field within reasonable commuting distance from the CBD? I love Sydney and dont want to head north until the winter kicks in, but I cant keep living off cash in hand jobs that I know are only for one or two days or short lived labouring jobs. None of the recruitment crowd are responding to my pretty decent CV :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

shane86 wrote: »
    First off, at least in the north are fruitpicking jobs still widely available? Id imagine that regardless of the world economic situation, people need food, and that food will always need people to pick/ pack it. Is there any trouble getting FP work in the likes of Qld and N Terrotories? What is the average pay rate?

Additionally though, and what my question refers to, exactly how far away is the nearest fruit growing areas from central Sydney? Prior to this week I had only ever went to the Blue Mountains, and the burbs seemed to extend for a good 90 mins on the train. However this week I had a labouring gig on in the southern suburbs, and it looked like I was pretty much near a rural area only a 40 minute bus trip from the city. Can anyone tell me of any good spots to get work in this field within reasonable commuting distance from the CBD? I love Sydney and dont want to head north until the winter kicks in, but I cant keep living off cash in hand jobs that I know are only for one or two days or short lived labouring jobs. None of the recruitment crowd are responding to my pretty decent CV :(

i highly doubt you're gonna be able to commute to a fruit picking job from sydney mate. these things are massive scale operations. mate of mine worked as a farm hand in the territory, the farm was the size of Switzerland :eek: ! also if you're looking to extend your visa, it needs to be quite rural to qualify as regional work. hunter valleys not regional enough put it that way. fruit/veg picking goes on year round, just depends on crop/season. potatoes down south, apples down south in winter apparently, lot of fruit picking in north qld this time of year too apparently. i hear $17 an hour is good pay for fruit picking. im giving you third hand info but this is what ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

portomar wrote: »
    i highly doubt you're gonna be able to commute to a fruit picking job from sydney mate. these things are massive scale operations. mate of mine worked as a farm hand in the territory, the farm was the size of Switzerland :eek: ! also if you're looking to extend your visa, it needs to be quite rural to qualify as regional work. hunter valleys not regional enough put it that way. fruit/veg picking goes on year round, just depends on crop/season. potatoes down south, apples down south in winter apparently, lot of fruit picking in north qld this time of year too apparently. i hear $17 an hour is good pay for fruit picking. im giving you third hand info but this is what ive heard

This man speaks the truth, you won't find a commutable FP job from Sydney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Go up to some of the remote parts of the NT or Western Australia, you'll have a great time. Also in a couple of months it will be the perfect weather for those parts of the country. You can do without Sydney for 3 months, you'll have a deadly time and appreciate the city all the more when you're back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

So where is best to go fruitpicking right now? Is it still pretty much a show up and you get work type industry?

Sorry to repeat the same point, but exactly how far from Sydney is the nearest "regional" part? Might get myself steady work on it up north, but I wouldnt mind by September running out my 88 days clock somewhere within a 3 or even 4 hour train ride from Sydney (think my cousin is visiting Syd for a month), allowing me to go on the Fridays and come back on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I've just being talking to Harvest Trail 1800 062 332, they're linked to the government http://jobsearch.gov.au/HarvestTrail/default.aspx

bascially they said all the work in QLD is taken and there's nothing in the NT's for a couple of months. Starting around june SA is the place to head and after that VIC & NSW.

I'm in Perth so gonna head towards Port Perry in SA at the start of june for maybe 2 months then head up to Darwin to finish off the 3months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Really none in QLD? Alot of the jobless here in Sydney are heading north over the last week, pinning their luck on the strawberry season kicking off soon just south of Brisbane. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nialinho

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm

I did my 3months in bundaberg, QLD 2 years ago from May to August. I just stayed in a hostel there and they arranged the work for me(packing tomatoes in a factory). It was busy when I first got there so it took a week for them to get me a job but once I was in I had it for the next 3 months. That was 2 years ago though, i imagine there are more people looking for this type of work than when i did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I can only tell you what I was told from Harvest Trail. women I was talking to said there's too many people there and she's getting calls everyday looking for work but I'm also sure that they don't represent every job in the area so you couls always be lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

Greetings from Wangaratta

I would add that many people looking for fruit picking work etc. but a Harvest Trail employee would not know exactly region to region, town to town etc. they only have general information on seasons, types of fruit, locations etc.

For specifics you need to ask firstly local tourist office for farm and orchard address detail list, then you have to contact them directly yourself....

I know this because we help international students.

A good hint is choosong state with high density of regions with peak seasons coinciding.

PS Think attempting this virtually or from offshore difficult as many tourist offices only keep hard copy lists.....but you could try emailing them....or if you are really nice they may fax :)

Advertisement