Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirecard/Play.com Query

Options
  • 26-03-2009 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Guys, please note this is a query not a complaint;)

I bought a dvd box set from play (playtrader) using my newly acquired Wirecard.

The euro price came up at E14.26 and i was sent an email confirming this after the order was processed. As the seller is uk based i received a shipping email this morning with the amount in sterling, which was £11.41.

The thing is i went to my wirecard account and the amount debited is E15.34.

I am happy enough with the product i ordered to pay E15.34, but i was wondering how it came to this amount. I read somewhere on the wirecard site that foreign currency payments attract a 1.5% charge/fee but that still doesnt bring the price play emailed me to that amount. Surely the euro price that play quote is not variable ?

As i said, i am not complaining as it isnt much and i still think it's a bargain at the wirecard billed amount, i would just like to know for future reference in case i happen to purchase anything of more value next time.

Thanks

Comments

What about the verification charge Play put on all newly added credit cards? Maybe that's cause of the difference in what was charged and what was advertised. If it is the verification charge you'll get it back in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As it's a play trader, it's quite possible that the exchange rate moved between the time they first mailed you and when the card was actually charged - particularly if there were a few days in between. I used travel to the UK on business quite a lot, and had to explain to my boss why the Heathrow Express used cost me varying amounts each week :)

While play.com probably hedge (I always pay the stated € price on anything bought from play itself) and therefore keep a standard exchange rate for a while (a month or 3 at a time), you'll probably find that the smaller traders don't, and just charge the sterling amount on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

What about the verification charge Play put on all newly added credit cards? Maybe that's cause of the difference in what was charged and what was advertised. If it is the verification charge you'll get it back in a few days.

Id say that might be it alright, as i did get it back. Shopped for the first time with another site last week and the same thing happened, though E1.09 this time so i would say they verify it with a £1 . Thanks :)
    My mother is happy with 31 episodes of Bonanza to watch:)

Advertisement