Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember "Fun"?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember the drink "Fun"? It was made by "Drino" back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. It was like red lemonade and came in big glass bottles.:cool:
    "Drino" still exist at a new premises at the Fingerboard (Kiltoghert), but they used to have a factory at Rantoge (Kiltubrid). It was lovely stuff. Pity to see local stuff go by the wayside:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    Anyone remember the drink "Fun"? It was made by "Drino" back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. It was like red lemonade and came in big glass bottles.:cool:
    "Drino" still exist at a new premises at the Fingerboard (Kiltoghert), but they used to have a factory at Rantoge (Kiltubrid). It was lovely stuff. Pity to see local stuff go by the wayside:(

Na, which is very strange cos my da had a pub and would have sold all the red lemonade stuff, the obligatory taytos and chocolate(which we ate on the sly).
    Never remember any "Fun", well none for us anyway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

tuppence wrote: »
    Na, which is very strange cos my da had a pub and would have sold all the red lemonade stuff, the obligatory taytos and chocolate(which we ate on the sly).
    Never remember any "Fun", well none for us anyway.:rolleyes:

It was very nice, but not as much craic as the name would lead you to believe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Yes I remember "Fun" alright. You've just brought back lots of memories. Made summertime up in Leitrim exotic . . . well sorta anyway. Can remember the auld fellahs in the bar adding it to their small whiskeys.

Cheers

garbanzo wrote: »
    Yes I remember "Fun" alright. You've just brought back lots of memories. Made summertime up in Leitrim exotic . . . well sorta anyway. Can remember the auld fellahs in the bar adding it to their small whiskeys.

Cheers

Woohoo. I haven't gone mad. I was beginning to think I'd gone mad. Exotic though? Never had that one thrown at Leitrim :D

On reflection Il Gatto you are correct. Maybe it was all those additives in the lemonade that had me buzzing and made me think that Leitrim was exotic !
    Maybe the makers of Fun had a conspiracy going . . . . now I'd love to see PrimeTime investigate that one !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i remember fun
    george crawford used to measure it out by the cap full in mc glynns drumcong, years ago when we were young, and he used to count 19 white bon bons into a bag instead of 20 and he would swallow the 20th one infront of you out of spite,
    but thats all gone by the way side like champion crisps, and cavan cola

i remember fun
    george crawford used to measure it out by the cap full in mc glynns drumcong, years ago when we were young, and he used to count 19 white bon bons into a bag instead of 20 and he would swallow the 20th one infront of you out of spite,
    but thats all gone by the way side like champion crisps, and cavan cola

Poor old George. The place lost something for me when he went.

"the heart of corn" george crawfords favourite saying, why did the mc governs move drino to kiltoghert,or do they still own it

McGoverns still own it. They moved because I suppose Kiltoghert is an easier place to do business from. And a new warehouse. As well as that, the owner lives on the road into Carrick so it's handier for him too.

God bless Kiltoghert creamery. I remember bringing the milk there as a young lad with my uncle after a morning's milking. I see they are doing pilates classes up in Kiltoghert now. My poor uncle would turn in his grave ! :)

• Advertisement

The creamery is still there and operating. I remember going there every summer to buy baling twine and tines for the haybob. It was Red Setter baling twine. Hairy stuff and shreded your hands. Thought we were so trendy when we changed to the blue stuff:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

is cavan cola gone?? i couldnt find it anywhere and wondered! if they dont watch it tayto ill be gone too so far largo has it (hunky doreys) does anyone remember the bacan and bean flavoured half bag of crisps i think they were from champion they were great if you could rake together anything you could find in the coin return or the floor in the closh box or around the kerbthink they were 5p

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

is cavan cola gone??

I believe it's gone, havn't seen it in a few years. A small bottle with a unique taste, lovely stuff.... After playing U12 & U14 we would go to the shop for a bag of Tayto, cheese & onion and a Cavan Cola. Memories :D

yea wonderful stuff easy known they stopped it and to think doc peppers and others got a look in and the cavan was let go

very true cavan was like fizzy liquid caramel, pity it went ,theres nothen really now that i would drink from that line of stuff accept rock shandy, even lucozade isnt the same in the plastic bottle,

i would nearly think of investing in a joint venture to bring back cavan cola

i dont know if your joking or not but it its gone off the market a while it should be straight forward enough to buy the rights to it or make it under licence after all its there sitting making no money and who to say the R+D is paid off on it though if its been around for some years then its probably has but i dont see why not. a nice little diversification venture maybe for morning star or mikos bakerys??? i know its not their biz but they already have the distribution end of it and thats way more important then killer product theres lots of awful stuff selling sh!tloads and half the time its just because it in every shop via a deal with a whole saler or chain EG musgoves-centra mace supervalu etc

thats an example of a wholesaler/chain not a wholesaler/chain with sh!tloads of bad stuff on the shelves!!!

no im serios if i got another daft lunatic like my self i would go the full 51 percent

Advertisement