Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Creep

• 26-03-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a calf Creep. Have been quoted prices from 800 - 1050 for a 8 Foot creep.

Can Anyone point me in direction of cheaper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

I was at a Teagasc beef seminar late last year where they discussed the merits of those creep feeders. They compared a creep feeder to the situation where you feed all the weanlings together in troughs, which were accessed via a creep gate.
    The savings on meal were significant using the creep gate approach, as each got there set amount. (Can't remember the specifics.) Whereas in the creep feeder approach, only a few could eat at any one time, so the feeder is kept topped up to ensure all weanlings get meal.
    Just for your information, may not suit everybodies set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭adne

Cheers Johhnyr...

Was thinking would i be better to fence off a corner 100 M SQ and put a creep gate in place... You have made valid points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I made 2 creep feeders. Cost about €300 for the steel and about 10 hours work each.

But as above I have moved away from the creep feeders where the fields suit and have made some creep gates which allow the calves to go ahead of the cows and get fresh grass and meal in a trough. But I have certain field set ups that don't allow for this and I use the creep in these.

Advertisement