Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, baby refuses solids

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Help! I am a dispairing mother. My beautiful 8month old baby girl is refusing to take any solids. She is allergic to milk proteins so I exclusively breast fed her until she was 6 months. Since the 6 month mark she has refused point blank anything from spoon. It is not that she doesn't like the taste, because she does not react badly when you sneak something into her mouth. But she will not open her mouth for the spoon. She has been playing with spoons and bowls perfectly happily and will put the spoon in her mouth. She also has refused a bottle of any kind.
    I love my daughter and have enjoyed breast feeding her, but I have reached my wits end. I suffer regularly with migraine anyway, and she is teething so not sleeping. I just need some time off... or at least the hope of some time off.
    Is there any one out there who can advise me how to get her to start on solids, or how to convince her to take a bottle, or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

KayPea wrote: »
    Help! I am a dispairing mother. My beautiful 8month old baby girl is refusing to take any solids. She is allergic to milk proteins so I exclusively breast fed her until she was 6 months. Since the 6 month mark she has refused point blank anything from spoon. It is not that she doesn't like the taste, because she does not react badly when you sneak something into her mouth. But she will not open her mouth for the spoon. She has been playing with spoons and bowls perfectly happily and will put the spoon in her mouth. She also has refused a bottle of any kind.
    I love my daughter and have enjoyed breast feeding her, but I have reached my wits end. I suffer regularly with migraine anyway, and she is teething so not sleeping. I just need some time off... or at least the hope of some time off.
    Is there any one out there who can advise me how to get her to start on solids, or how to convince her to take a bottle, or something?

I was going to suggest holding her close while feeding her in case it was the closeness of breastfeeding she was missing, but if you've tried a bottle, I'm sure you've already tried that. So no constructive advise, just a dose of sympathy - you must be so tired! Hope it works out for you soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KayPea

Thanks for the sympathy Quackles. It does make a difference... when you start going around in circles in your own head, you start to think all sorts. Am I doing something totally wrong? Should I have known about introducing bottles earlier? Or, indeed, am I just really crap at this mothering stuff?

I have tried holding her close, both with the bottle and the spoon feed. No joy. It just meant both of us wearing her meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

KayPea wrote: »
    Thanks for the sympathy Quackles. It does make a difference... when you start going around in circles in your own head, you start to think all sorts. Am I doing something totally wrong? Should I have known about introducing bottles earlier? Or, indeed, am I just really crap at this mothering stuff?

I have tried holding her close, both with the bottle and the spoon feed. No joy. It just meant both of us wearing her meal.

Well, if you're doing it wrong, come look at the mother who just got her 3 year 8 month old of the bottle this morning :eek: And is already second guessing the decision?!? When I think of how much money I've given the SMA people, it makes me cry :) At least you're not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Brest addiction; everyone suffers. It is so frustrating when they won't eat but the only thing you can do is persevere with it I'm afraid. Try cajoling, trickery, toys, distractions, T.V., music, caberet, whatever.

How long has she been on solids only now for? If she's happy enough she's probably getting enough.

3 years and 8 months and still has a bottle!?!? Start telling yours that the easter bunny is taking it away and leaving an egg, get rid of the SMA and JUST END IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Try using a nipple guard to change the texture when she feeds. I would start of with something bland like pureed carrots. If she has a soother dip it in and give it to her to get used to the taste. you may find you will have to slip it into her mouth with your finger for the first little while until she gets used to it. Babies hate change and she is now having to change from breast fed only to having a new way to drink, a new way to eat and new textures and tastes ... it will take time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement