Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Query Output to CSV file format

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have yet another programming problem. I have a SQL Query whereby I need the output of the query to be in a csv file format. The query looks like this;

SELECT D.TMP, I.TMP, A.TMP TMP_2G, B.TMP TMP_3G

FROM ..................

I have tried changing the query to look like this;

SELECT D.TMP||','|| I.TMP||','|| A.TMP TMP_2G||','|| B.TMP TMP_3G

FROM ..................

but I get a "FROM keyword not where expected error(or something to that effect)". But when I remove the last ||','|| and replace it with a , the query will run but the output is not what I require.

Does anyone have any light they can shed to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Are you directly accessing the database for this or using DB functions/libraries from an application development language like C#, PHP, ASP etc?

If it's the latter you won't be able to make the query return CSV formatting directly, it should be returning results as an array, and you can then format that array into CSV and output.

Should be an easy enough task in most languages, Google for "CSV output" + your chosen language, you'll find a few tutes.

Edit: I haven't really accounted for this being a windows development problem, in which case any help I might impart is probably useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

SELECT D.TMP||','|| I.TMP||','|| A.TMP TMP_2G||','|| B.TMP TMP_3G

FROM ..................

I would say that is where your problem is. Lose the alias (i.e. TMP_3G bit).
    but I get a "FROM keyword not where expected error(or something to that effect)".

We will need a couple of pieces of information.

Firstly, what database system are you using? (i.e. Oralce/MS Sql/MySQL/etc.)

Secondly, what is the error, the full error, and nothing but the error? The key to solving these problems is usually in the error. :)

Exactly what you are typing and the exact error message you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

MSSQL's Query Analyser can output results to CSV easily enough, just change the output type to report (RPT) which is can then be imported to Excel as a fixed width file

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I would say that is where your problem is. Lose the alias (i.e. TMP_3G bit).

We will need a couple of pieces of information.

Firstly, what database system are you using? (i.e. Oralce/MS Sql/MySQL/etc.)

Secondly, what is the error, the full error, and nothing but the error? The key to solving these problems is usually in the error. :)

Exactly what you are typing and the exact error message you are getting.

You'll actually need to drop all the aliases:
    SELECT D.TMP||','|| I.TMP||','|| A.TMP [S]TMP_2G[/S]||','|| B.TMP [S]TMP_3G[/S]

FROM ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

just change the output type to report (RPT)

or if you can't do that how about something along the lines of
    SELECT
    FieldName1 + ',' + fieldName2 +',' etc
    from
    Table1

you may need to convert non string fields to characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

amen wrote: »
    or if you can't do that how about something along the lines of
    SELECT
    FieldName1 + ',' + fieldName2 +',' etc
    from
    Table1

you may need to convert non string fields to characters

Good for a limited number of cols, pain in the ass if you have a load :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Thanks alot for the swift and numerous replies guys. I just dropped the aliases and it now works with ||','|| placed in the sql query. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself but who cares it works. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Bump.

Sorry guys I have the same problem again but removing the aliases wont work. I have the following query;

SELECT DATE, COLUMN_1 ALIAS_1, COLUMN_2 ALIAS_2
    FROM
    (
    UNION
    )
    WHERE ( (ALIAS_1 + ALIAS_2 > 0 )
    GROUP BY DATE

The old solution was to just remove the aliases and use ||','|| which worked perfectly but because of the WHERE statement at the end of the query the aliases are required. And because the aliases are required I am now getting the same error as I was previously. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bump.

Sorry guys I have the same problem again but removing the aliases wont work. I have the following query;

FROM
    (
    UNION
    )
    GROUP BY DATE

The old solution was to just remove the aliases and use ||','|| which worked perfectly but because of the WHERE statement at the end of the query the aliases are required. And because the aliases are required I am now getting the same error as I was previously. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You are missing a bracket in the WHERE clause.

It should probably read

( (ALIAS_1 + ALIAS_2) > 0)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

MYSQL or Oracle
    Bump.

FROM
    (
    UNION
    )
    GROUP BY DATE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

bala wrote: »
    MYSQL or Oracle

MYSQL solution try

FROM
    (
    UNION
    )
    GROUP BY DATE