Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Formula 1 coverage

• 26-03-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

BBC have impressed me already with their interactive service this morning.

Turned it on to see 2 classis Australian GPs, 1986 and 1994.

They broadcasted them as their old Grand Prix programme, that music really sends a shiver up the spine when it's played over the old intro.

Can't believe how much Steve Rider has aged though.

I could have spent the day looking at it but had to go to work.

I have a good feeling about this, James Allen will soon be a distant bad memory, and sorry Setanta, it looks like you haven't a hope of competing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Authorin

I cannot wait for this seasons grand prix!! It's looking like it's going to be a great season. Looking forward to seeing BBCs coverage. The irish boys on setanta where never much good anyway. I only ever watched it on Setanta when the ads where on ITV. Ad-free Grand Prixs!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

smooch71 wrote: »
    ...that music really sends a shiver up the spine when it's played over the old intro.

That Fleetwood Mac riff IS F1!

Schieesee! I can't get BBC interactive with FTA can I.
    Classic GPs are a brilliant idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Moonbaby wrote: »

Fraid not. I have it on Sky, I presume it's on the other digital providers also.

Well apparently you can get the BBCi feed as channels on Astra.

BBC interactive 'channels'
    12441 V
    2/3
    • Service...VPID APID
    • BBCi 1....2305 2306
    • BBCi 2....2321 2322
    • BBCi 3....2325 2326
    • BBCi 4....2329 2330
    • BBCi 5....2333 2334
    • BBCi 6....2337 2338
    • BBCi 7....2345 2346
    My stupid reciever wont pick them up as they are labeled Data channels.

I want to see the nerfing in Adelaide again! Ggrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have a Humax Freesat HD receiver and on BBC1 I can get the "Red Button" material :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just a word of note with the times for the live coverage. The clocks will be be going forward Saturday night/Sunday morning so don't make a blooper and miss out on an hour of live coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah I'm getting proper excited now! :D Who's stayin up for practice tonight?

These classic races are great. I have a feeling the fact that Australia has been the last race of the season several times may make this weekend's classic races better.

Just watching the last race of '95 how Schumacher wasn't disqualified considering what drivers do get disqualified for is a mystery to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone know if you can get that interactive thing on Magnet? I'm not sure if they carry it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Been watching for ages!! They have already beaten my expectatins, although wouldn't take much after ITV:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA All times GMT
    Friday 27 March
    Practice (Times TBC): 0125-0305, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    0525-0705, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    Saturday 28th March
    Practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0500-0715, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One
    Sunday 29th March All times BST
    Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
    Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
    Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online
    Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

Fridays practice actually goes live at 11:30 our time tonight, that practice time above was tbc at time of publish, but the practice is starting earlier, will be checking it out!

MELBOURNE - AUSTRALIA All times GMT
    Friday 27 March
    Practice (Times TBC): 0125-0305, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    0525-0705, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    Saturday 28th March
    Practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0500-0715, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
    Re-run: 1300-1415, BBC One
    Sunday 29th March All times BST
    Race: 0600-0900, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
    Interactive Forum: 0900-1000, BBC Red Button/online
    Race re-run: 1300-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/online
    Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

Fridays practice actually goes live at 11:30 our time tonight, that practice time above was tbc at time of publish, but the practice is starting earlier, will be checking it out!

Formula 1 website says practice is at half 1 tonight our time. I really hope so because I wont be able to watch it if it's at half 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Where did you get that revised time for first practice? I haven't seen it anywhere else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

im assuming from the countdown they have on their f1 homepage :pac: either way im having a gander

Both Formula1.com and the BBC site have the countdown set for half 1.

:confused: i must be in another universe so. telling me half 11

:confused: i must be in another universe so. telling me half 11

Does it say 3 hours and 30 something minutes? I've just tried both sites in three different browsers and all are coming up as 5 and a half hours. Or are you just taking the piss? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

The best bit about the Beeb is there wil be NO ADDS! Great - Can't wait.:)

lol no I'm not!! 3 and a half hours and counting!! :confused:

EDIT: Fixed. Restarted the browser???

I suppose we're going a bit offtopic, but what browser are you using? That's somewhat odd, how long was the browser open? Unless it was last week and the time somewhere in the world was changed I can't see how that happened. Odd :confused: Ah well, at least we're all in agreement now :P

• Advertisement

google chrome. must have been an error on their site at some point! oh well, im still excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

smooch71 wrote: »
    Fraid not. I have it on Sky, I presume it's on the other digital providers also.

How do you get BBC interactive channels on Sky?

BarryM3 wrote: »
    How do you get BBC interactive channels on Sky?

Channel 141? Then red button. If bbc isn't there let me know and I'll tell ya how to do it, too long to explain unless it needs to be :P

Done that but only get 'news' stories... no programmes asuch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

BarryM3 wrote: »
    Done that but only get 'news' stories... no programmes asuch

See the link for BBC sport?

Sport multiscreen - click that.

then press whichever number is showing F1,

Got it!!

Thanks a million guys!!

Min wrote: »
    See the link for BBC sport?

Sport multiscreen - click that.

then press whichever number is showing F1,

+1 on that. It's been showing classic races and interviews so far this week.

Sorry for not mentioning that bit Barry, easily overlooked. :)

I got it. :D Watching highlights......this is bloody legend.
    God I miss Murray and Eddie.
    I <3 you BBC!

Amanchi are you talking about 94?
    I am going with overhyped racing incident.....~hides~

I got it. :D Watching highlights......this is bloody legend.
    God I miss Murray and Eddie.
    I <3 you BBC!

Amanchi are you talking about 94?
    I am going with overhyped racing incident.....~hides~

Gonna guess that's me you're referring to :P Yup, the overhyped racing incident when Schumacher turned into someone trying to pass him when he knew that after hitting the wall he wasn't going to have the pace to keep him behind ;) :P

• Advertisement

Umm...sorry but that is what you username sounds like in my head. :o

They never actually did know if he knew though....they (Patrick Head) just claimed they did.

Umm...sorry but that is what you username sounds like in my head. :o

They never actually did know if he knew though....they (Patrick Head) just claimed they did.

Heh, don't worry, rare anyone spells it right. Even rarer that my real name is spelled or read out properly :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7w5dGgLWQo About 1:15 in, be surprised if it wasn't damaged from that I'd be surprised :)

Half an hour til the start, I'm looking forward to seeing the Brawn GP cars, gonna guess they look pretty different than they did in testing. :)

I've had the time to watch all of the classic GP coverage BBC showed today and one thing that has really struck me is how gracious Murray Walker could be when a British driver was unlucky not to have won the world championship in a couple of those races

The first time I noticed it was in his commentary for the 1986 Aus GP - Mansells tire blew out - Prost took the title. Walker could have spent the rest of the broadcast moaning about how Mansell was hard done by but instead he focused on the race and was generous in his praise for the eventual winner. If we had James Allen back then I'm sure it would have been very different.

Same thing in 94 when Schumacher won the title from Hill. Not a nice way to win the title - looking back on it I still have mixed feelings in that Schmacher was a better driver than Hill but played foul that day. Despite that, Murray Walker did his best to be gracious and not resort to too much mud slinging. Of course there were suggestions that the collision was intentional but Walker knew his racing well enough by that stage to know that these things happen so you congratulate the winner and continue to cover the rest of the race in a professional manner.

As I said - had James Allen been commentator for either of these incidents it would have been so very different. His biased approach to commentary has helped make Lewis Hamilton one of the most disliked drivers on the grid. I have no problem with Hamilton as such - he is still a bit raw and makes silly mistakes but he has achieved a lot so it is almost in spite of James Allen that I still respect him for his ability - as I do for anyone who drives in F1. Before Hamilton we had Button rammed down our throats too - I fully expect the BBC to partisan towards British drivers but I hope that they will take a more balanced approach than ITV did.

I've had the time to watch all of the classic GP coverage BBC showed today and one thing that has really struck me is how gracious Murray Walker could be when a British driver was unlucky not to have won the world championship in a couple of those races

The first time I noticed it was in his commentary for the 1986 Aus GP - Mansells tire blew out - Prost took the title. Walker could have spent the rest of the broadcast moaning about how Mansell was hard done by but instead he focused on the race and was generous in his praise for the eventual winner. If we had James Allen back then I'm sure it would have been very different.

Same thing in 94 when Schumacher won the title from Hill. Not a nice way to win the title - looking back on it I still have mixed feelings in that Schmacher was a better driver than Hill but played foul that day. Despite that, Murray Walker did his best to be gracious and not resort to too much mud slinging. Of course there were suggestions that the collision was intentional but Walker knew his racing well enough by that stage to know that these things happen so you congratulate the winner and continue to cover the rest of the race in a professional manner.

As I said - had James Allen been commentator for either of these incidents it would have been so very different. His biased approach to commentary has helped make Lewis Hamilton one of the most disliked drivers on the grid. I have no problem with Hamilton as such - he is still a bit raw and makes silly mistakes but he has achieved a lot so it is almost in spite of James Allen that I still respect him for his ability - as I do for anyone who drives in F1. Before Hamilton we had Button rammed down our throats too - I fully expect the BBC to partisan towards British drivers but I hope that they will take a more balanced approach than ITV did.

Agree 100%. With Mansell's ridiculous bad luck/decision he could've pissed and moaned but didn't. Murray was like most BBC programming back then in that obviously he focussed more on the british drivers, and being somewhat partisan, but not to the point of giving the impression that he disliked the other drivers or would piss on their parade if a bit of luck sealed the title for them. He knew that in racing what goes around comes around, and that while Mansell was unlucky to have his tyre go, the next year the siuation could just as easily be the other way around.

The clip of Schumacher following the '84 race saying something like "I'm glad to hear that from you." to Murray when he congratulated him shows how much everyone thought of Murray. Why did you have to bring up Murray? Now I wish he was commentating again! :P

First letdown from BBC, using the same commentary on Radio and TV. Should be interesting to see how it works though. :P

amacachi wrote: »
    First letdown from BBC, using the same commentary on Radio and TV. Should be interesting to see how it works though. :P

At least we are able to watch practice this year!

What are the mechanics attaching to the front wings of the cars when they come back to the pits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

De Hipster wrote: »
    That Fleetwood Mac riff IS F1!

I was hoping that they were going to use the song "Formula One" by Cozy Powell but alas it wasn't meant to be

First 'Lewis Hamiltons Dad' shot of the new season after 8 mins :D

At least we are able to watch practice this year!

What are the mechanics attaching to the front wings of the cars when they come back to the pits?

True enough, don't get why Setanta just leave out this one session.

:P Wonder if Ron Dennis is at the GP, it'll be weird going through the weekend without seeing him looking intensely at a screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Jarno is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

ahh theres big ron now

Pity the rest of the teams didn't darken the outer parts of the front wings like Williams did.

amacachi wrote: »

Think that's just for the practice sessions, the qualifying and race will have a different crew.

I thought the guys doing the commentary were ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭GrayD

I'm lucky enough to have Setanta Ireland free on our NTL package, its not on Sky package...

Given that, how could you POSSIBLY justify watching it on BCC or ITV for the matter in the past?

It's insufferable to listen to English commentary of their own. It'll be 2 hours tommorrow of listening to them completely ignoring the actual exciting race at hand and "appologising" for not showing the 18th placed Hamilton. Anyone rememeber Nick Heidfelds qualifying lap in Malaysia 2 years ago? No? Well you must have been watching ITV who apologised at the time that the "stupid director" of the foreign station would not show Hamiltons outlap...

ridiculous... give me Setanta any time...
    At least David Kennedy has some knowledge of what he's saying and can you fault Garry Anderson? I know where I'll be watching some class IMPARTIAL and insightful coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

GrayD wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to have Setanta Ireland free on our NTL package, its not on Sky package...

Given that, how could you POSSIBLY justify watching it on BCC or ITV for the matter in the past?

It's insufferable to listen to English commentary of their own. It'll be 2 hours tommorrow of listening to them completely ignoring the actual exciting race at hand and "appologising" for not showing the 18th placed Hamilton. Anyone rememeber Nick Heidfelds qualifying lap in Malaysia 2 years ago? No? Well you must have been watching ITV who apologised at the time that the "stupid director" of the foreign station would not show Hamiltons outlap...

At least David Kennedy has some knowledge of what he's saying and can you fault Garry Anderson? I know where I'll be watching some class IMPARTIAL and insightful coverage.

I will be watching the same race as you on freesat and will enjoy it no matter who is comentating
    What goes on out on the track is what i want to see.:cool:

GrayD wrote: »

I agree with you on ITV's commentary being appalling but in fairness I think we have to give BBC a change before writing them off and accusing them of Hamilton-mania.

Overall, their coverage package seems to be impressive. Setanta's coverage is dire, for example, coverage starting 5 minutes before qualifying? Come on..that's not good enough. Their Premier League build up is longer so why not Formula 1?

That's not the fault of the presenters though and I do think Kennedy and Anderson know what they're talking about (when you can hear what Gary is saying that is) Declan Quigley I could live without quite frankly.

The BBC's interactive service is good whether you dislike them for being English or not. I hope that there is a multiscreen service during the race just like we had when Sky briefly covered Formula 1, 2002 I think it was, where you could choose camera angles, in car shots etc. I don't really think Setanta are at the races. Pardon the pun.

While I realise that BBC are British and will support British drivers, I am hopefull that they don't enter into the kind of hero worshipping ar$e licking of "Lewis" we saw from James Allen on ITV over the last two years. I hope they're more professional and while it's their right to support their driver, I hope it's not rammed down our throats but I'm confident it won't be.

In fairness, Martin Brundle remained impartial for most of last year.

I won't diss Brundle, he's said himself that Alonso is more than likely the best driver out there at the moment.

Anyone else feel that BBC's coverage is a bit overdone? Production-wise I mean. A lot of graphics and atmospheric music over the interview with Webber. Also the generic BBC sport graphics in the captions just isn't nice. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I enjoyed the banter between Coulthard and Jordan this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have to say, I enjoyed the BBC coverage. Not brilliant by any means, but good. Should hopefully get better as the season progresses.

Not a fan of that Jonathon fella on commentary. Seemed to say one instead of first and so on. Hopefully he'll improve as the season goes on too.

The banter between Jordon and Coulthard was good, too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was it just me or was anyone else waiting for the ad breaks to come on? :) It was strange, I was sitting there almost expecting the ad breaks and then I remembered "oh yeah, this is on the BBC".

I'm not that bothered about the graphics. They do seem a bit over-done. I have to admit I don't really like the opening credits, the cars and camera angles are all moving around too much, it's very very jarring I find. But it's a small price to pay for it being back on the BBC.

I've only seen the qualifying so far, but they didn't seem especially obsessive about the British drivers. They seemed to give all the teams and drivers equal coverage IMHO. I almost got the impression yer man Jake Humphrey's was tip toeing walking on eggshells by even mentioning Hamilton and McLaren's plight.

I will have to head home to the north soon for some F1 weekend. We can receive Freeview up there and it has the "red button" functionality. I'm pretty sure the red button functionality is not available on Magnet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement