Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Formula 1 coverage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've only seen the qualifying so far, but they didn't seem especially obsessive about the British drivers. They seemed to give all the teams and drivers equal coverage IMHO. I almost got the impression yer man Jake Humphrey's was tip toeing walking on eggshells by even mentioning Hamilton and McLaren's plight.

+1

They seem to be pretty even with the teams/drivers. At the start Legard asked Brundle something about Hamilton/McLaren and he brished over the question as if to avoid getting into a Hamilton debate.

Suprised no ones mentioned Richard Branson's interview yet. :pac: Wonder how many complaints they'll get about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah, I'm sure a few nelly's will get their knickers in a twist about it alright. I think Martin Brundle actually said all the teams protesting the diffusers were "bitching" over it. I was surprised that no-one on the BBC made a comment about that. Although for me, neither comment was offensive or anything. But sure you know how it is, there'll be someone out there who will start moaning and yapping about it.

I still find the most annoying thing that was said recently was during the podium ceremony in Canada last year when Kubica won and James Allen said "he might be no Brad Pitt". I mean like what does that have to do with anything? It still kind of annoyies me that he said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Well its great that there are no ads at all! I was expecting to at least have ads during the pre-qualifying session.
    Am enjoying the banter beteen Jordan and Coulthard and particularly enjoyed Eddie shooting down DC about Button not being in the same league as Schumacher and IMO, hes right. Comparing the two is like comparing a vw lupo with a veyron.
    Think Humphrey is doing a great job as anchor but Legard's commentary needs to be improved, and quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

bennyx_o wrote: »

Suprised no ones mentioned Richard Branson's interview yet. :pac: Wonder how many complaints they'll get about it

Why what did he say? Feckin power went off just as he started talking :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

he started talking about world domination by cutting power in homes first before total power.

BASICALLY Eddie Jordan seemed unconvinced and was asking him 'Why now?' kind of thing, because Eddie tried getting him onboard with Jordan years ago, but Branson said new fuel changes in the pipeline and stuff prompted him to make his move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I only saw the 1pm programme, not the live one and I don't have "red button" so cannot get the old races.

I agree with the comments about the opening sequence. It did not match the music at all. The inclusion of classic clips of F1 down the years (Mansell & Senna racing head to head, sparks flying etc) would have made it much better.

The main commentator (I think he was BBC Radio commentator) did not bring much life to it but he will probably grow into the roll. At least Martin Brundle is there to add some sense of excitement.

The part between quali stints seemed to be wasted a bit. ITV would have given just as much info, even with an ad break. It should not take 3 people to discuss what has happened.

I assume that the major changes in F1 (KERS, aerodynamics) were given some detal in the live programme because they were not explained well in the later programme.

I cannot believe how clumsy/ugly the new cars look. They look like the were from the 70's, but if it makes for close racing, then we will put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Not a fan of that Jonathon fella on commentary.

He sounded like he was commentating on horse racing.

Hopefully he'll chill out a bit as the season goes on. He's sounds a bit stiff or something. Considering he's supposed to be the main commentator, it was Brundle who seemed to be doing most of the talking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not impressed with Jonathan commentating either.
    I was watching practice on Friday and the guy that does Moto GP commentating on Eurosport was far better, cant think of his name [well i think it was him]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Schieesee! I can't get BBC interactive with FTA can I.
    Classic GPs are a brilliant idea.

yea you can, on the red button on a box or its under a "STREAM-#" channel on my Lidl FTA box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I have to say I was impressed with the BBC's coverage, they did not turn it into the Lewis Hamilton show which is surprising, was not impressed with the commentator but I am glad they brought Martin Brundle from ITV. I was not a big fan of Coulthard anyway but I did enjoy the banter between himself and Eddie, Roll on next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is there no late highlights of this, i used ot enjoy watching hte itv highlights at 11.45 can't see any late nite bit on rte bbc or setanta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Lack of commercials and the ability to record on Sky+ make the BBC coverage absolutely mega for me.

A little disappointed in Jonathon Legard but he may grow on me and anyway it's a small price to pay. I recorded practice (:eek::D), quali & the race and replayed a few hours later at a reasonable hour. Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would get up in the wee hours on a weekend any more.

I find EJ a bit annoying (Ecclestone/Branson ass-licking for example). He's like an embarrassing old uncle - you dunno what sort of cringe-worthy crap he's gonna come out with! Coulthard is a bit wooden at the moment - I think he's a funny guy that will relax into it though. I like Ted Kravitz a lot, think he's well underrated and Holly Samos is underused - very cute in a girl-next-door, attainable sort-of-way. Plus she knows her F1 - the perfect woman :D;)???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Only seen the red button highlights. Did Brundle do his pre race grid walk?

Dcully wrote: »
    Not impressed with Jonathan commentating either.
    I was watching practice on Friday and the guy that does Moto GP commentating on Eurosport was far better, cant think of his name [well i think it was him]

I think it was a different guy(s) commentating on the practice.

They should have gotten Ben Edwards, he makes it sound exciting

flazio wrote: »
    Only seen the red button highlights. Did Brundle do his pre race grid walk?

He sure did

• Advertisement

is there no late highlights of this, i used ot enjoy watching hte itv highlights at 11.45 can't see any late nite bit on rte bbc or setanta?

You can watch the highlights on BBC's red button service. They re-showed the whole race in a loop for most of the day yesterday and were still showing highlights last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

The only fault i would have with the bbc coverage is that they had no highlights programme on Sunday evening like ITV use to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

smooch71 wrote: »
    You can watch the highlights on BBC's red button service. They re-showed the whole race in a loop for most of the day yesterday and were still showing highlights last night.

don't got digital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

don't got digital

well then go get it :D

The only fault i would have with the bbc coverage is that they had no highlights programme on Sunday evening like ITV use to have.

I suppose they assume that most households have digital now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I think highlights were on bbc3 don't know if you can get that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

pburns wrote: »
    I find EJ a bit annoying (Ecclestone/Branson ass-licking for example). He's like an embarrassing old uncle - you dunno what sort of cringe-worthy crap he's gonna come out with! Coulthard is a bit wooden at the moment - I think he's a funny guy that will relax into it though. I like Ted Kravitz a lot, think he's well underrated and Holly Samos is underused - very cute in a girl-next-door, attainable sort-of-way. Plus she knows her F1 - the perfect woman :D;)???

Didn't see the Ecclestone interview but the first thing he said to Branson was basically a dig about not entering F1 to sponsor Jordan.

I think EJ and Coulthard have to get used to it a bit over all though. EJ just starred at the camera at one point and then the cameraman took him out of shot. He didn't know what to do when he wasn't talking so he just started looking around all over the place.

It was infinitely better than ITV's coverage IMO. Not having ads was like I was cheating the system somehow after ITV's equal race/ads coverage time policy. :rolleyes:

Overall though, it was great. I thought the start of it was a bit over the top but I guess they were celebrating getting coverage of F1 back. I think the BBC really like covering F1. The next race will be better now that they have gotten used to it.

And they managed to not talk about Hamilton for the race so good on them and I look forward to the next race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

GrayD wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to have Setanta Ireland free on our NTL package, its not on Sky package...

Given that, how could you POSSIBLY justify watching it on BCC or ITV for the matter in the past?

It's insufferable to listen to English commentary of their own. It'll be 2 hours tommorrow of listening to them completely ignoring the actual exciting race at hand and "appologising" for not showing the 18th placed Hamilton. Anyone rememeber Nick Heidfelds qualifying lap in Malaysia 2 years ago? No? Well you must have been watching ITV who apologised at the time that the "stupid director" of the foreign station would not show Hamiltons outlap...

ridiculous... give me Setanta any time...
    At least David Kennedy has some knowledge of what he's saying and can you fault Garry Anderson? I know where I'll be watching some class IMPARTIAL and insightful coverage.
    Highlighted part there says it all. He has some knowledge, Martin Brundel is second to none in the sport, BBC all the way! Red button repeated coverage makes it even better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

smooch71 wrote: »
    I suppose they assume that most households have digital now.

Well, they're not actually catering to us people watching in Ireland, of course, you have to remember. And last time I checked it seems that most households in the UK do indeed have some sort of digital access at this stage (either Sky or Freeview). So putting the highlights on BBC 3 wouldn't be missed by too many in the UK now. Unfortunately, for a lot of us here (myself included) we don't have access to BBC 3 if you're still on an analogue package so we can't see the highlights but, as I said, as far as the BBC are concerned that's not their problem and they're catering for the UK audience, not us "across the water"! :D

Have to say, it's a bit of a pain as I used to record the ITV highlights on my HDD/DVD recorder, edit out the ads and the like and I'd then burn them onto a disc and I used to be able to fit the highlights of three races on a single disc. Now I'm having to record the whole race coverage and only just about managed to get the full 3 hour programme onto a disc this weekend. If they had overrun at all (say if there had been another safety car period or a race stopage or something like that), I would have been screwed. Think I might have to start recording at EP instead of LP from now on so I'll have a four hour window to play with, just in case the race overruns in any way, and put up with the reduced picture quality that comes with recording at EP. :(

It's a pity they don't repeat the BBC 3 highlights later on on either BBC 1 or 2 (after Match Of The Day 2 on BBC 2 would be an ideal time, in my opinion).

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Does anybody else think the starting sequence for the new BBC coverage is pretty average? Im am just glad the chain theme was left untouched.Its a very run of the mill CG sequence.

I had an idea of using real onbaord footage of a very early F1 car and have the car morph in later generations as it goes around the track. So it starts with maybe a 50`s era Maserati ->60`s Ferrari 156 ->70`s lotus -> 80`s turbo car -> then with a modern car passing the finish straight.

That's a good idea but it's already kind of been done with the Shell Ferrari ad and Honda have done something similar also.

But I agree, I found the sequence a bit crap, the music was the only good part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

For all those unimpressed by Jonathon Legards commentating you have to take into account that he used to commentate for Radio5live. When on radio you have to describe every action in detail and maybe because of this he over commentated. But he can and probably wil fix that as time goes by.

I don't watch the build up to Grand Prix anymore, ITV turned me off this for good. For all those guys complaining about the opening title sequence Jesus Christ get a life. It's probably what 20 seconds, hardly earth shattering in terms of the whole programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Like ITV (and as expected) BBC's coverage of F1 should be renamed BBC's coverage of the British Drivers in F1 plus Mark Webber - as for some reason he has a blog on the BBC website.

It is worse than ITV was in my opinion. At least ITV did discuss other drivers from time to time.

I'd have thought DC would have better things to be doing after all his years in f1 than spouting drivel alongside Eddie "I discovered Schumi" Jordan.

ALso the presenter knows about as much about f1 as lady GaGa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    For all those unimpressed by Jonathon Legards commentating you have to take into account that he used to commentate for Radio5live. When on radio you have to describe every action in detail and maybe because of this he over commentated. But he can and probably wil fix that as time goes by.

I don't watch the build up to Grand Prix anymore, ITV turned me off this for good. For all those guys complaining about the opening title sequence Jesus Christ get a life. It's probably what 20 seconds, hardly earth shattering in terms of the whole programme.

I was thinking that. It was also funny during practise with the commentator trying to do his commentary to be suitable to both TV and Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Iridium

riemann wrote: »
    Like ITV (and as expected) BBC's coverage of F1 should be renamed BBC's coverage of the British Drivers in F1 plus Mark Webber - as for some reason he has a blog on the BBC website.

Didn't think it was anywhere near as partisan as ITV's coverage. On the qualifying show it was 20 minutes before Hamilton even got a short sound bite. On ITV we used to wonder if Steve Rider got a pound every time he mentioned Hamilton's name.

Thinking back to the Australian GP 2008 coverage, the one thing that sticks out is that "interview" before the race which showed Lewis and Heikki chilling out and chatting casually on a couch. I could only think that the only point of that segment was to say to viewers: Our Lewis takes time out to talk to his team mate (as if none of the other drivers could be bothered doing such a thing). He's such a sound bloke really.

Cringe inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Iridium wrote: »
    Didn't think it was anywhere near as partisan as ITV's coverage. On the qualifying show it was 20 minutes before Hamilton even got a short sound bite. On ITV we used to wonder if Steve Rider got a pound every time he mentioned Hamilton's name.

Thinking back to the Australian GP 2008 coverage, the one thing that sticks out is that "interview" before the race which showed Lewis and Heikki chilling out and chatting casually on a couch. I could only think that the only point of that segment was to say to viewers: Our Lewis takes time out to talk to his team mate (as if none of the other drivers could be bothered doing such a thing). He's such a sound bloke really.

Cringe inducing.

Agreed and they have EJ and Coulthard for unbiased opinion.

Even if EJ won't slam him on tv, Coulthard already seemed to just want to give unbiased analysis from what I saw of him.

ITV's coverage was a joke.

Anyway it would be foolish to expect completely unbiased coverage from BBC. I mean they were really only allowed buy rights on the basis that it was in the national interest because Hamilton and Button are in the sport and doing well. They have to give them some coverage. That isn't really biased as long as they don't make out that he can do no wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Iridium wrote: »
    I could only think that the only point of that segment was to say to viewers: Our Lewis takes time out to talk to his team mate (as if none of the other drivers could be bothered doing such a thing). He's such a sound bloke really.

Cringe inducing.

I think, after what happened in 2007 with Alonso, it was probably more a case of the McLaren PR people saying: Look, this year, our two drivers are best mates.

But yes, highly cringe inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Last week (on the Red button) BBC repeated free practice one and two over and over, this week they are not, Whats up with that?

Was kinda looking forward to a reply as I missed the live feed due to darn work!

:mad:

god's toy wrote: »
    Last week (on the Red button) BBC repeated free practice one and two over and over, this week they are not, Whats up with that?

Was kinda looking forward to a reply as I missed the live feed due to darn work!

:mad:

I can see live practice all day today on the red button

vectra wrote: »
    I can see live practice all day today on the red button

Where?

Is it still on coz I can't see it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

im watching it right now. screen 5 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thats so odd, I didnt have it till just now. 4 screens 2 showing f1 but one old and one preview.

Anyway happy days! :)

Qualifying is only shown once on BBC1 at nine, surprising and no repeats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

lovinit wrote: »
    Qualifying is only shown once on BBC1 at nine, surprising and no repeats.

They leave the repeats for the red button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

thebman wrote: »

ITV's coverage was a joke.

i agree! watching it all last year on itv was awful it was like the hamilton show with his best bits from the race! this year i have to say we are actually ENJOYING the races getting to see more of the other drivers, and of course the being able to record it and use the red button extras is an added bonus!

so far imo and in my OH opinion BBc have done a great job of it and having watched one or two races on setanta id rather watch it on the BBC.

• Advertisement

I actually think they are doing a great job
    Look at it this way
    last year and the year before
    It was Hamilton this and Hamilton that
    Yoy dont see BBC jumping on the Button Bandwagon.
    No
    They are actually giving great coverage of all cars and drivers.
    Really enjoying the red button ( even though it is driving the wife nuts ) :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

riemann wrote: »

In fairness, when RTÉ covered Formula 1, you would often have swore the only three drivers in the race were Eddie Irvine and whichever two drivers happened to be driving for Jordan that particular year.

Every country is going to give some priority to its own. Personally I've always found both BBC and ITV superior to RTÉ and Setanta's coverage, even if it hasn't been the same since Murray Walker retired.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bring back the worst commentator ever Peter Collins, LMAO he was brutal.

Well personally I thought it went well today. They seem to be doing the same thing as the do with the wrc, explaining more about everything and then chatting to the drivers, thought the interview with the Director from ferrari was a little strange and the presenter Jake Humpfrey never shut up about the rain but apart from that thought it went well yesterday:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Loved watching martin pester the toyota boys on his grid walk! Was funny. Jesus they really dont want anyone looking at their diffusor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Dcully wrote: »
    Bring back the worst commentator ever Peter Collins, LMAO he was brutal.

Ah yes remember the MO NACO gp?

I think BBC are doing a good job. I don't have an hatred of Hamilton and Button even though it would have been really easy for them to go mad for Button.
    I don't mind some bias but not to the extent that ITV and James Allen used to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They interviewed Button's dad today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

amacachi wrote: »

What's wrong with that? They were sheltering in the Brawn hospitality area and god knows they were running out of chat after an hour of red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Gotta say that Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard are as dull as dishwater, and the fella talking to them is very annoying by callining them EJ and DC the whole time.

Apart from that its very good and no ad breaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Is it on tv?

I cant find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

amacachi wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with that. Now if start taking to him three times per race day then we'll have an issue...

• Advertisement
Advertisement