Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Café Mao

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Origin of the name? I think it's quite obvious it's an abbreviation of monoamine oxidase.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

OR it could be named after a chinese peasant brute whose forced labour policiies murdered more people than Hitler and Stalin.
    yeah..why not a restaurant called Hitler!
    All the food cooked in gas ovens..waiters wear SS uniforms and the best selling dish is Arbeit Macht Fries!
    It could just work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I like that idea.

Employee: Hi! Welcome to Hilter's Haven. How can I Aufschlag you today?
    Customer: I'd like a Milch, please.
    Employee: What size would you like? Groß, Mitte or Klein?
    Customer: Um, Mitte.
    Employee: Okay, here you go. You'll find zucker and mischer over by the till. Danke schoenfor choosing Hilter's Haven. Guten tag!

Sorry if my German is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm3XnJe9-j8

The initial campaign to attract customers is a great success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's meant to be post-modernist or some paff like that. I've never eaten in there myself. Any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Don't know. I'll never know. Not going to sit in a ****ing place called Café Mao in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't know. I'll never know. Not going to sit in a ****ing place called Café Mao in all honesty.

What if it were changed to Café Miao?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

WindSock wrote: »
    It's meant to be post-modernist or some paff like that. I've never eaten in there myself. Any use?

It's grand, overpriced for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Very average imo and pricey for what you get. My sister used to be a fan but I've won her over to the Wagamama camp which is just around the corner and far superior in my view.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It has pictures of Mao.
    It has food for Mao too. Any ol' crap with the all purpose Garlic Chilli Sauce. That fecking sauce is the last refuge of the naff and unimaginative chef. Pants place that should be first for the hop come the revolution. Havana to be the next candidate against the wall. Funny how the biggest ripsters have commie overtoned names. Shams!!!The collective farm would be too good for the owners/managers/chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

WindSock wrote: »

Average, but some of the spicy stuff really bites and that I can appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Degsy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm3XnJe9-j8

The initial campaign to attract customers is a great success!

For some reason when I saw the heading of the video "Hitler Juggling Fish" I thought it would be actually Hitler Juggling Fish and not a cartoon. Disappointing!

Quint wrote: »
    For some reason when I saw the heading of the video "Hitler Juggling Fish" I thought it would be actually Hitler Juggling Fish and not a cartoon. Disappointing!

I'm sorry but i've been trawling the archives for the actual footage of the Fuhrer Fish Flinging but i cant find it.

In relation to the food in Moa..its crap.A boiled chicken fillet in koka noodles and sauce sachet for 15 quid.
    A pretentious,overpriced dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Okay, obviously I wasn't interested in how good the food was. Even if it was reported to be the nicest restaurant in town I would never step foot in the place.

Okay, obviously I wasn't interested in how good the food was. Even if it was reported to be the nicest restaurant in town I would never step foot in the place.

Good stuff..and remember
    ride_with_hitler.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Ditto. I don't understand how people can bring themselves to eat in a restaurant named after a paedophile mass murderer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I think it's most peoples ignorance and not even realizing.

Much like all the Che Guevara tshirts and posters that everyone seems to love for no reason :S

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ditto. I don't understand how people can bring themselves to eat in a restaurant named after a paedophile mass murderer :confused:

Because Fred West's Taco Grill is always booked up.

In all honesty what's it fripping matter what a place is called? Particularly when the food is that bad and that naff.
    In fairness Mao is a pretty good name. Short and memorable and with Warhol styled photos of the good chairman himself it's a fairly good visual connection.
    Maybe there's the problem right there. It was a restaurant launched by NCAD post grads.

If that rule or notion goes for Mao then how is it for Little Caesers?

Advertisement