Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening "hilly" walks?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm training for the Four Peaks Challenge at the moment, and we're doing a practice climb up Carrauntoohil next weekend. The thing is, I tore my calf muscle doing Slieve Donard a few weeks ago, so was out of action for a couple of weeks. It's all recovered now and my physio said I can go back to training and that I should be fine for Carrauntoohil.

So I'm back to the gym and doing flat walks around my area (Blackrock), but I really need to do some hilly walking before next weekend if I don't want to kill myself. This weekend is out for a full day hike because we're doing bag-packing both days for fundraising (in Mortons in Ranelagh, if anyone's around please give generously :D) - so my only option is to try to find some hilly walks in the evenings next week.

I finish work at 4 but most of my mates don't so I'd be on my own. Would walks like Bray Head and Sugarloaf be okay to do on your own, and would they be good practice for the legs, in the absence of time to take on bigger mountains in the meantime? Or is there anywhere else anyone can recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The two you mentioned would be fine on your own. You could go up Bray Head and walk along the top towards Greystones and then drop onto the Cliff Walk and get the Dart/Bus back from Greystones to Bray. Plus there's the Little Sugarloaf, Killiney Hill and Katie Gallaghers close by, or a little further away, 3 Rock. Depending on the time you have available, and the available daylight you could easily do Djouce, say from the car park at the "Paddock Ponds" on the Long Hill road.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Thanks for the advice! Yeah Bray Head would be ideal if it's enough of a slope, I live right beside the Dart station so wouldn't have to worry about the car at all. Ditto for Killiney Hill I didn't even think of that area, that'd be perfect too.

I say the rush hour traffic heading down the M11 at 4.30 or 5 would be pretty bad, so I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get to Sugarloaf or Djouce (the clocks go forward this weekend so more evening light next week to play with!) - so those walks would be perfect instead, and even Three Rock, also close enough to do. Thanks so much for the tips, hopefully I can do enough now to NOT destroy my legs on the Carrauntoohil monster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lots of options here: http://www.dublinmountains.ie/

Great link, thanks Krusty!

I've been doing Killiney Hill and Bray Head this week, they're perfect for the quick hikes in the evening, and beautiful views too - I can't believe all of this has been on my doorstep for so long and I'm only discovering it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you like those, try Katie Gallaghers (aka Carrickgollogan). See http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=15&no_cache=1 and a map here http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/uploads/tx_r3coillterecreationsites/Carrickgolligan.pdf The views from the top of Carrickgollogan are wider and better than either of those two IMO.

• Advertisement

Looks great, thanks, will definitely check it out :)

Advertisement