Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crash by the canal rd

Options
  • 26-03-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

spotted a car swimming in the canal yesterday, an ambulance and a cop car were watching it swam.
    anyone knows the story in detail:confused:?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Dunno, but it's still there. Just walked past it half an hour ago. Lots of empty cans in the front seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bah, i'm always out of Galway when fun stuff happens!

Wonder how long it'll take some oul hag to complain that 'the boats' are polluting the canal with oil :rolleyes:

Hopefully the car will be lifted out of the water quickly before any fuel/oil get into the water

Maybe it's the Google Car? You know the way Google are creating Google Ocean, well maybe they're creating Google Corrib :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or maybe a few ladz went for a spin and a beverage.

If it was drink, the driver's hosed.
    I take it this occured earlier this morning?
    Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just be careful getting it out lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I was half expecting a self-flaggelation-related thread from that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Magnus wrote: »
    Just be careful getting it out lads

Hehe, thanks for that! Thought it might be that when I clicked on it alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Wonder how long it'll take some oul hag to complain that 'the boats' are polluting the canal with oil :rolleyes:

Hopefully the car will be lifted out of the water quickly before any fuel/oil get into the water

Jes actually only took about 20 seconds, well depending how quick ya type!!!;)

s_carnage wrote: »
    Jes actually only took about 20 seconds, well depending how quick ya type!!!;)

Hey I wasn't complaining, just saying that I hope the place doesn't get polluted ye b0llix! :pac:

Where exactly in the canal is the car? Canal is pretty long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

This thread is useless without pics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

car_canal.jpg

About there. Its looks like they drove over the bollard at the start of the pedestrian walkway and went through the railing into the canal. Nesting Swans have been detained at Mill St as witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    car_canal.jpg

Nesting Swans have been detained at Mill St as witnesses.

haha

Thanks for the pic... some pics of the car would be epic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

Was gone by the time I walked past. Kayakers must be doing the annual clean early this year. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The woman, understood to be from the Midlands, was driving from the direction of Ward’s shop on University Road, when her vehicle careered out of control. She was alone in the vehicle at the time...the alarm was raised shortly after 1.20am – the woman managed to make her exit from the vehicle before being helped to safety by GardaÍ
    x4_Car_in_canal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That article calls for speed controls as a result of this; how can you get much speed up between Wards and the end of that road by the canal in an MPV?

EDIT: According to the paper, she came from the direction of the green arrow.

75796.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fey! wrote: »
    That article calls for speed controls as a result of this; how can you get much speed up between Wards and the end of that road by the canal in an MPV?

I'm waiting for a proper headline.
    Calls for cars to banned after car damages wall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

snubbleste wrote: »
    x4_Car_in_canal.jpg

How the fcuk?!! :confused:

Women drivers again... :rolleyes: :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a proper headline.
    Calls for cars to banned after car damages wall
    It needs a picture of of glorious Mayor beside it in the "doing a Lynndie" pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

"Drivers to be banned from driving vehicles too big for them to control properly"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fey! wrote: »
    "DriversWomen to be banned from driving vehicles too big for them to control properly"

Fixed that for you.:pac:

It took some doing to get the car in there, Id be very surprised if drink was not involved.

"Swans to hold protest alongside Taxi Drivers in Eyre Square to call for the ban of cars"

It took some doing to get the car in there, Id be very surprised if drink was not involved.

I don't think it would be possible for me to do that sober, even if I tried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 palaestrio

It took some doing to get the car in there, I'd be very surprised if drink was not involved.

When I saw the half-submerged car in the canal around 9:30 the next morning, I noticed a brown plastic shopping bag and two empty beer cans floating around inside. So drink was certainly involved. Speed too. The car had enough speed to take out the iron pillar that blocked the footpath along the river from car traffic before it crashed through the railing 10 meters further down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As palaestrio points out it sounds like alcohol may have been involved. Someone I know passed on canal road and reported exactly the same thing. The circumstances of the accident reported in that article are fairly unbelievable given where the accident happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

For reference have a look at this photo...

Advertisement