Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS tracker

• 26-03-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Looking for cheapest method of tracking a vehicle for security reasons. Also want to track some expensive equipment that I have in case of theft.

What options do I have?
    Ive spoken with a couple of fleet trackers and they want 25-30e per month which I think is fair enough but Id like to see if something could be done with google latitude or installing my own GPS system if possible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've moved this over from the Mobiles/PDA forum.

You *might* get a better response here.

If you, or the GPS mods, feel that is not the case, by all means move it back to Mobles/PDAs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

cheers Tom, I was looking at getting a google latitute supported phone, stick a ready to go SIM in, installing the app and leaving in a van I have which would get around the cost of GPS hence why i originally put it in mobiles.
    I know latitiute isnt supported in Ireland but does "kind of" work. Does the phone have to be continually connected to latitude for it work or only when requested? Costs would be prohibitive if continuous connectivity required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

When you exit the new Google Maps it asks if you want to continue to share you location, you can click yes. It'll then connect every now and again (I'm not sure every how often it is) and update with Lattitude where you are so you can track.

It's not going to give you pinpoint precision though unless
    1. you get very lucky with mast positions and it narrows it down to 80 metres or so
    2. you have some sort of GPS antenna in a position where it can see the satellites

Using a phone you also need to consider the battery isn't going to last indefinitely etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rooboi

Hi Clint,

Have a look at -

http://www.fonesentinel.com/

Excellent GPS tracking that can be used on mobile's even if the phone doesnt have GPS. Features include -

#Works anywhere in the world
    #Manage unlimited phones on the one screen. Get a snapshot of where all your employees currently are
    #Current and past locations and speeds
    #On screen maps to assist the user in locating themselves
    and much more

Let me know what you think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

Buy a GlobalSat TR102 and get a ready to go sim. The TR102 is about 200 euro in Maplin. Install it somewhere hidden in your car and wire it up so that it's always powered up. It can be configured to either text you back it's location if called or alternatively it can do live tracking over GPRS. For tracking a car the text option would do you fine & would only end up costing you 30 or 40 quid a year or whatever the minimum spend on credit is nowadays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement