Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stopping other cats using catflap

Options
  • 26-03-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

We have a regular catflap on the backdoor and the neighbours (fat)cat regularly comes in after we go to bed and eats what left of our cats food. She was recently ill and altho he is in good health I am worried that they shouldn't be sharing food like this.
    Also yesterday after giving our cat her antibiotic I brought her to the vet for final checkup. At this stage she had only eaten half
    her food and when I arrived home the other fella had finished it off and knocked the cover off the tin on the sink and eaten that
    too. I don't want to have to get an expensive replacement catflap either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cat owners who are having problems with neighbours cats getting inside most often opt for an infrared cat flap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Magnus wrote: »
    Cat owners who are having problems with neighbours cats getting inside most often opt for an infrared cat flap.

thing is a collar would drive her mad and the microchip ones are bloody expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should have either anyway if you let her outside, in case she gets away. Depending on where you live of course.
    Our cats took a day or two to get used to the collars, we kept putting them on and off until they just gave up and got used to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Magnus wrote: »
    You should have either anyway if you let her outside, in case she gets away. Depending on where you live of course.
    Our cats took a day or two to get used to the collars, we kept putting them on and off until they just gave up and got used to them :)

we do have her microchipped for identification purposes. I might give the magnet/infrared option a try so. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

The magnets are quite good - although they take a little time to get used to as the cat has to really be up close to the magnetic bit on the door. Only problem is quite a lot of cats have these collars so if your visitor already has a magnetic collar, he'll have no problem getting in. I've heard the laser ones are good, but expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement