Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ask for a raise?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've been in my current job for nearly 2 years now - working in reception/customer service.

I did get a slight raise last year but only by 900 a year...and everyone else did as well.

However, I do receive good feedback from other employees about my professionalism/work standard, and I feel I deserve a performance-based raise, rather than them "having" to give it to me, as well as everyone else getting it also.

How would I go about asking for a more substantial raise?
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭lau1247

I didn't mean to bring your hope down.. FYI.. just to clear things up..

well like you said, you got a raised last yr..
    albeit slightly lower than what you expected and that everyone else got a raise too..

But think about it, how would the others feel if you got a raise and they didn't if the company was doing well at the time last year. They would be pissed too..

with the state of the ecomony at the moment..
    I doubt it very much that the company would be happy to give further raise.. to anyone! If they have some financial sense to prepare for the worst of the ecomony..

Also raises are usually dependant on the line of work (i.e lawyer at law firm vs. receptionist at law firm). Who do you think brings in the "bacon"?

IMO, it may be a suicidal move, career wise as the timing is not right to ask.. I'm not sure of your responsibility within the firm, but typically progress for a better position with a receptionist/customer service is rather limited

Just my 2 cents..

To sum it up.. depending on what your firm "sells" you could probably take some course to improve your skill that is relevant to the firm and that should give you a better opportunity to advance (E.g. receptionist in an small firm can take up marketing course and do some marketing related tasks, soon enough you'll probably have a marketing manager position etc..)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement