Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

settlement figure

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭

ive a very small (€3k) loan with bank of ireland, i asked them for a settlement and they just gave me the balance, is there anyway i could get them to knock off a bit if i paid early? ive already paid a thousand off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

If you pay it off early, you'll save on interest automatically. If I'm understanding you correctly and you want the bank to knock a chunk off the capital repayment (ie, you borrow €3k but only pay them back €2.5k) then by all means ask but I've a feeling you'll be laughed out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What incentive would there be for them to knock money off the loan amount? If this was a fixed rate loan, there may be penalties to pay for paying it off early and you may not even save on the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

In short, I doubt it.. The bank makes it's money from the interest they are charging you.. If you repay early they don't make that money, so most will charge an early settlement fee.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see why they'd knock anything off, its a loan,...banks make money from loans, why would they want to loose money?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Very, very unlikely.

Advertisement