Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Paint Problem

Options
  • 26-03-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭

I'm painting an exterior concrete door surround with a smooth masonry paint. It has been previously painted & I've wire-brushed the loose paint off & primed it with the recommended PVA solution.

The problem is that when I apply the damn masonry paint it looks like a whitewash. It is hardly making any difference to the surface. I may as well be applying another coat of PVA. I've stirred the paint really well prior to application & all that.

Anyone have any ideas? (Manufacturer's website has been of no use.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I found out what the problem was - tin contained base paint only. The white tint hadn't been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I found out what the problem was - tin contained base paint only. The white tint hadn't been added.

Classic :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bloody stuff was white & all just like it was meant to be. My head was spinning trying to figure out what was wrong with it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

:D excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol
    This happened a workmate last year...although in his case it was an expensive solvent borne metal primer. He thought that it was supposed to be like a milky glaze (it should have been solid grey/green colour) and sprayed up his work area (going through 3 gallons of the stuff), before we came on to the job to apply finishes and asked him why it wasn't primed (well it was primed but just not a solid base colour).
    The paint shop ended up being at fault...the young lad behind the counter didn't realise that there was colourant to be added.

• Advertisement
Advertisement