Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My new camera has arrived!!!

• 26-03-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to share with everyone that my brand spanking new Nikon D90 with 18 - 105 lens has arrived, along with memory card, remote control yoke and Billingham Packington. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm actually having to be careful whilst using my laptop as I'm salivating everywhere! Now all I have to do is to go through the 278 page users manual and try and work out how to operate the thing as this is my first 'real' digital camera (my last 'real' camera was a Nikon F100).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I would congrat you but is a Nikon so I cant :P

But enjoy ;) (or try)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lovely camera, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Well get off the computer and get shooting, looking forward to seeing some shots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Duchovny wrote: »

+1 :)

Only kidding, congrats. Now get shooting or we'll confiscate it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well done, it's a great camera. Now get out and start shooting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

Nice camera,
    look after it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

OK folks, my first question. Now, remember this is my first 'real' digital camera so don't laugh!

My question is thus: I bought a 4GB memory card thinking it would hold lots of pics but, when I shoot in RAW mode, it's telling me it will only hold 9 pictures!!!:eek: If I shoot in Normal JPEG mode it will hold 21 pics. Is this correct or should I be doing something that I'm not doing? Sorry to be so dim but it's all new... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

i rarely shoot in raw mode, mainly JPEG my card is 2GB and i get over 300

i think it must be something to do with the settings on your camera

welcome to the world of DSLR's a huge learning curve but great fun at the same time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The card could have some data on it. Check in the comp to see if it contains anything. If not, slap it back into the camera and format the damn thing. :) Should be fine.

Good luck.

colblimp wrote: »
    OK folks, my first question. Now, remember this is my first 'real' digital camera so don't laugh!

My question is thus: I bought a 4GB memory card thinking it would hold lots of pics but, when I shoot in RAW mode, it's telling me it will only hold 9 pictures!!!:eek: If I shoot in Normal JPEG mode it will hold 21 pics. Is this correct or should I be doing something that I'm not doing? Sorry to be so dim but it's all new... :(

Try to format your card, see if that helps.

Menu - Spanner - Format memory card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Only on a Nikon would you find a "Spanner" option :pac: :D

Enjoy the camera!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well done on the new purchase.

On my D300 I get about 170 RAW files on a 4GB card.

Try to format the card first & see if that will improve things.

Only on a Nikon would you find a "Spanner" option :pac: :D

Enjoy the camera!

Heh :D

ok then - Menu - Setup - Format

OK, it's a brand new memory card, I've formatted it and it still says [r21], when I half press the shutter release button. When the shutter release button isn't pressed it shows [1.0]k Help!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

That'll be your buffer. As in the number of shots you can take in quick succession before the files will be transferred over to your memory card by the camera. Nothing to worry about at all.

OK, it's a brand new memory card, I've formatted it and it still says [r21], when I half press the shutter release button. When the shutter release button isn't pressed it shows [1.0]k Help!!!!

1.0k is the amount of pictures that will fit on your card ~1000, as leohojusaid the r21 is the buffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

r21 is somethingto do with the shots left in your buffer not the card. I believe page 65 has the full details.

DPR posts on it:
    ""r21" means that you have room in the buffer for 21 frames. This will change if you shoot in the continuous mode although at the quality level you are currently shooting you should be able to 100 frames a 4.5 fps. Shoot in JPEG-Large or NEF and you will see a much smaller number than 21"

Edit: Doh to slow

Ah, I think I understand. So am I right in thinking that the buffer is a sort of back up to the memory card? So how do I know how many shots I can take before the card fills up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Did you format it on computer?

TelePaul wrote: »
    Did you format it on computer?

Er, no, in the camera...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Ah, I think I understand. So am I right in thinking that the buffer is a sort of back up to the memory card? So how do I know how many shots I can take before the card fills up?

hi - congrats on the new camera. My advice is put the camera on "green" or "p" mode, go out and shoot like crazy. Come back, make a big gin & tonic (or tea / coffee) and skim through the manual for an hour or two, then go out shooting again. :)

Really, if this is your first time using a digital SLR, the manual will have loads of cool stuff to learn..even in the first couple of chapters. Just skim it, it'll make a big difference.

OMG! I've just discovered that by going into the menu and changing a couple of settings I can shoot in Monochrome! How cool is that?!!!!!!!!!! No more fiddling with 2nd bodies etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Give us some "Unboxing shots!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OMG! I've just discovered that by going into the menu and changing a couple of settings I can shoot in Monochrome! How cool is that?!!!!!!!!!! No more fiddling with 2nd bodies etc!

Yes .... You can .... but you really don't want to.

This is part of the fun of Film => Digital learning curve.

When you shoot Digital you are actually shooting 3 Monochrome images. You will have a Red Green & Blue Channel. This allows you to do some really nice Monochrome Conversions. It's like having B&W Film but with every filter on the camera at the same time.

The RAW files are also good to learn about. RAW just records the data from the sensor, so you can make choices later how you want to process it. If you have a colour cast .... just change it. If the exposure is slightly off you vary that too. You can choose to shoot RAW + JPeg & it may be good as a beginner. The main drawback is the memory it uses but that is cheap now.

You will have a ball.

Ohhh the other film thing you have to get used to is that it doesn't cost you money each time you push the shutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I wish you good luck with your Nikon D90, beautiful camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you don't have your finger on the shutter button, the number in the bottom right corner of the LCD display on top of the D90 tells you how many remaining shots you can take before the memory card is full, this number remains on that display even when the camera is switched off but as long as there is an SD card in the memory slot.

There is a very quick way to format the memory card in the D90, see p.202 in the manual, it involves simultaneously holding down two buttons on the camera so you can avoid fiddly menus.

Note also that www.nikonusa.com is very useful for finding PDF versions of all the Nikon manuals, hold the mouse pointer over 'Service & Support' on the grey bar and then select 'Download Center' from the drop down menu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Duchovny wrote: »

But enjoy ;) (or try)

ha, so true
    Nah seriously enjoy the new camera :)

coylemj wrote: »
    When you don't have your finger on the shutter button, the number in the bottom right corner of the LCD display on top of the D90 tells you how many remaining shots you can take before the memory card is full, this number remains on that display even when the camera is switched off but as long as there is an SD card in the memory slot.

There is a very quick way to format the memory card in the D90, see p.202 in the manual, it involves simultaneously holding down two buttons on the camera so you can avoid fiddly menus.

Note also that www.nikonusa.com is very useful for finding PDF versions of all the Nikon manuals, hold the mouse pointer over 'Service & Support' on the grey bar and then select 'Download Center' from the drop down menu.

That's really useful, thanks very much. I did work out how to format the memory card using the two buttons. Now I understand what the number is on the LCD - it makes more sense when someone explains it - thanks again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Have a D70 myself :-)

Took a bit to learn how to drive it!

A great help to me was the user guide on Ken Rockwell's site.

Here is one for the D90
    http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

There's also Nikon's own video tutorials :)

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d90/index.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

congrats!! lets see some pics too, looks to be a fun camera :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Enjoy your new camera look forward to seeing some of your photos getting posted on the forum :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I got this camera recently too. Its great and im still learning.
    Check out NikonDtown.com they have been doing a video podcast this last few weeks with some great tips for Nikon cameras including the D90.

OK folks, I've taken some pics with my new D90 and I'm having trouble uploading them to the site - help!!! All my pics are around the 10 mb size, how do I reduce the size so they'll upload onto here? Apologies for being so dim, I want to go back to shooting film lol!

Here's one of the pics I took, hope this works otherwise I'm gonna throw my toys out of the cot...

• Advertisement

Damn, so why didn't it appear in the message thingy? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

If you join flickr then download the flickr uploadr it will resize them...

But the better option is too download VSO image resizer and resize them to 640x480(easy to upload) and then sign up to pix.ie and upload them,Once uploaded you can just copy the "Forums" code and add into a post here and it'll work

Pix.ie will be easier to register too,As for flickr you need a yahoo email,and Pix you can use any email

OK, I'm giving up! I've uploaded the pics to Pix.ie, re-sized them, used the 'add image' icon and the pics still won't appear on here. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm giving up! I've uploaded the pics to Pix.ie, re-sized them, used the 'add image' icon and the pics still won't appear on here. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to click add image.

Just go this:
    1.Go to your pix.ie home page,Make sure you're logged in
    2.Scroll down to recent albums and select the one which the photos you want to post are in
    3.Click the image you want to post
    4.Click [sizes] above the right hand corner of your image
    5.Scroll down till you see a box titled "Forum" full with code it should look something like this
    [ URL= http://pix.ie/ricky91t/856969 ][ IMG ]http://photos3.pix.ie/72/31/723187E5C5C6402EAA72CAF9D5641D5D-800.jpg[ /IMG ][ /URL ]

6.Select all,Then copy...Click post reply on here and then paste it into the main comment area..You don't need to click "insert image" as marcus has it ready coded to be posted on boards.ie

Ricky91t wrote: »
    No need to click add image.

Just go this:
    1.Go to your pix.ie home page,Make sure you're logged in
    2.Scroll down to recent albums and select the one which the photos you want to post are in
    3.Click the image you want to post
    4.Click [sizes] above the right hand corner of your image
    5.Scroll down till you see a box titled "Forum" full with code it should look something like this
    [ URL= http://pix.ie/ricky91t/856969 ][ IMG ]http://photos3.pix.ie/72/31/723187E5C5C6402EAA72CAF9D5641D5D-800.jpg[ /IMG ][ /URL ]

6.Select all,Then copy...Click post reply on here and then paste it into the main comment area..You don't need to click "insert image" as marcus has it ready coded to be posted on boards.ie

Oh, that's fantastic - I think I have it sussed now - thanks very much for your technical help! Now for some C&C please! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement